The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
R&B51

Back up cam ideas

Posted via Mobile Device
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:24 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Back up cam ideas

??am I missing something?
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
R&B51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
??am I missing something?
Sorry, was kind of weird. I finished the post and tried to send it, but somehow it didn’t work. Kinda like my brain lately.

The question I had for everyone was if they had back up camera ideas, experience, pics?

I’ve been looking at that good thread on tail lights and in the truck I’m building - there will be people driving it who have trouble using mirrors like some of us can (I’m a CDL holder with experience, driving in a variety of vehicles and mirror use) and also it’s a three window 51.
A lot of modern cars put them on the license plate holder area but with the way these are positioned that would limit its effectiveness and be ugly to me. I’ve been rolling around in my mind, the possibility of cutting a window in the bottom half of the outer tailgate roll on the top edge and fabricating some kind of recessed adapter to put one in there that was less noticeable and wire it through the tailgate. Maybe even put the device behind a piece of sheet metal. We’re only the I was showing to avoid looking at the rest of the camera itself?
Seems like putting it in that space below the tailgate, and above the bumper would also limit its usefulness.
Will not be a crazy, modern interior, but could have an articulating screen pop out of the dash like some of those discussed in recent threads about hiding the stereo unit. The screen would not be huge, but wondering if enough to get an idea of what’s behind you?
Might even have to put a back up monitor screen that flips down from up above on the ceiling?
Had been kind of planning not to have a stereo unit that you could see at all, just a Bluetooth unit under the seat you control with your cell phone.
Anybody done or seen anything like this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2022, 06:49 PM   #4
R&B51

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
Sorry, was kind of weird. I finished the post and tried to send it, but somehow it didn’t work. Kinda like my brain lately.

The question I had for everyone was if they had back up camera ideas, experience, pics?

I’ve been looking at that good thread on tail lights and in the truck I’m building - there will be people driving it who have trouble using mirrors like some of us can (I’m a CDL holder with experience, driving in a variety of vehicles and mirror use) and also it’s a three window 51.
A lot of modern cars put them on the license plate holder area but with the way these are positioned that would limit its effectiveness and be ugly to me. I’ve been rolling around in my mind, the possibility of cutting a window in the bottom half of the outer tailgate roll on the top edge and fabricating some kind of recessed adapter to put one in there that was less noticeable and wire it through the tailgate. Maybe even put the device behind a piece of sheet metal. We’re only the I was showing to avoid looking at the rest of the camera itself?
Seems like putting it in that space below the tailgate, and above the bumper would also limit its usefulness.
Will not be a crazy, modern interior, but could have an articulating screen pop out of the dash like some of those discussed in recent threads about hiding the stereo unit. The screen would not be huge, but wondering if enough to get an idea of what’s behind you?
Might even have to put a back up monitor screen that flips down from up above on the ceiling?
Had been kind of planning not to have a stereo unit that you could see at all, just a Bluetooth unit under the seat you control with your cell phone.
Anybody done or seen anything like this?
Posted via Mobile Device
*We’re only the I*
“Where only the eye”
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2022, 12:00 AM   #5
dsraven

maybe a bracket inside the truck, up high in the back window, would also work to mount the camera and would be less apt to get bumped, vibrate off etc. wiring would be easier too. a higher vantage point but you would see less of how close you are to things at the very back of the truck.
my 2015 has the camera in the gate latch but it is always dirty and I'm looking at dirt if the gate is open.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:16 AM   #6
mr48chev

Dang, I posted someting on this a few hours ago and my computer has been logging off the site every time I turn around.

I've been looking at backup cameras to put one on the truck I tow with to help me line up my hitch with my trailers because I get tired of getting out of the truck a half dozen times to see how close I am.

Searching around shows that there are very basic units for around 30 bucks or advanced setups that have both a backup camera and a front view camera that records in one unit.

I've found that a lot of those front view setups that clip on the mirror are too heavy for mirrors that are glued onto the windshield though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:35 AM   #7
R&B51

Reading you guys replies, it all the sudden dawned on me that I’ve got a perfectly good screen on my phone and the people who would be driving in our family they could download the app. I saw this online that allows you to just use your phone wirelessly through Bluetooth, so I would not have to hassle with articulating screen out of the dash or anything like that. Possibly an easily removable iPhone holder on the dash so it’s not sitting there looking at you all the time if you don’t need it for backing up for navigation.
Pretty cool, looks like it actually may turn the app on and pop the screen whenever you start backing out that would be convenient?!
Still have to figure out where to put that camera to get good view and not back into stuff. I have not backed into things hardly ever in my life, but seems like every time I loan out my tundra it comes back with a new dent in the rear bumper.
Here is the link to what I just found:

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...ipad-mini-ipod
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2022, 02:51 AM   #8
mr48chev

There are a number of Bluetooth cameras that will do just that.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #9
dsraven

if you mount ther camera on the tail gate, like my 2015 silverado has, and you have the ability to open the gate partially, the camera will point dirtectly at the hitch. I have cables on the silverado and found that if I open the gate and loop the cable over the latch pin, that holds the gate open far enough to aim the camera perfectly at the hitch. no more getting in and out to check and then, when all done, the help appears
one thing I wish rear view cameras would do is be able to turn on while driving forward. this would enable the user to check the trailer hitch or the load on the trailer while driving, or see exactly how close the dude came when stopped at a light. it seems some guys want to rub bumpers at a stop light . anyway, this just reminded me of a guy I used to work with who hated those guys who like to follow real close. he hated it so bad he rigged up a water tank on his roof rack with a windshield washer pump and nozzle aimed backwards. it looked like the washers were just really putting out when in reality it was his single rear facing nozzle. he said it works like a charm since most people will back off rather than have to wash their own windshield after getting the overspray from his nozzle. no harm done to the following vehicle, nobody passing and swerving in to cut him off because he tapped his brake lights, etc.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:49 AM   #10
youngrodder

On my last build 48 truck. I had a rolled pan in the back. I just mounted the camera above the license plate on the bottom edge of the top of the rolled pan. It was discrete and worked great. Its the black object above the plate in the picture.

Marc
Attached Images

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 07:51 PM   #11
leegreen

I'm not there yet, but I want to put a 'dashcam' into my truck and DDs too.
I don't want the kind that sticks to the windshield or goes on the rear view mirror. I also want something that is discrete.

I've looked at what you will find if you search Amazon for "360 Degree Bird View Panorama System 4 Cameras 1080P Night Vision Car DVR", this one caught my eye... https://www.amazon.ca/ASTSH-Degree-P.../dp/B07W8127HN 4 cameras, triggered by reverse, turns signals or a wireless remote. Does not include a screen.
If I found one with thousands of ratings I'd probably pull the trigger on one, for now I am waiting, this tech is in a period of rapid change.

In the hunt for compact cameras I also discovered what you will find if you search Amazon for "motorcycle dvr camera system".

For camera placement, my thoughts were:
Rear, inside drivers side box side top roll
Side, tucked up on box side under the top roll overhang, somewhere between fender and back of cab.
Front - this is tougher, I want it behind the swept by wiper area of windshield, but I don't want to look at the camera....still considering options

for a screen so it can be used as reverse or blind spot camera when driving, probably a drop down screen, either from a custom headliner or one of the screen built into sunvisor things

The bluetooth connected tablet as a screen might get you a distracted driving ticket around BC if they catch you poking at it.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #12
mr48chev

Here is the US link for the camera that Leegreen showed in post 11. https://www.amazon.com/ASTSH-Degree-...7-93deae8f9840

It took me about three tries before I figured out that his is on Amazonn CA = Canada. Messed with the old dudes mind a bit there.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:32 AM   #13
R&B51

Well, you all got me thinking. I have seen the back up cam units, but didn’t know you could get the whole deal.
I’ll have to chew on that a little bit and see if there are whole perimeter systems that are as good as some of the dedicated back up units.
Mr48chev, thanks for the US link, some reviews suggested quality of pictures hadn’t caught up with industry yet. Wouldn’t mind spending more for better unit.
Youngrodder, thanks for the pic. Good to know that worked for you, we’ll probably keep bumper but suck it in some.
Probably won’t have hitch on this one since C6 Corvette driveline (got a little chuckle thinking about full on Corvette pulling a trailer-not many images that would look that out of place come to mind) and suspect wasn’t engineered for that!?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2022, 03:02 AM   #14
mr48chev

This is one of those car/truck things that I probably wouldn't buy too far ahead of time simply because the technology is always changing and quite rapidly.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #15
dsraven

I suppose you could argue that the tablet on the dash is what runs the vehcile systems like heater, radio, etc. I have a rental hyundai santa fe, since our vehicle is in the shop after somebody rear ended us at a red light, and the driver info center is the size of a tablet, sticks up from the center of the dash like a tablet would and you gotta poke at it for tuning the radio etc etc. I can see how people are distracted while driving because you need to look at the dash and hit a certain spot on the tablet face. not like the old style where you could easily fumble for the heater knob while still looking at the road.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #16
vintovka

I really like back up cams!!! They are extremely useful in vehicles with limited rear visibility and the auto sound and light warnings are great!!. I would not have a new vehicle without them as I think the help safely extend the driving abilities of us geezers.
The 5 window AD cabs work almost as well especially when lifted like mine. What i do think is we may not have a choice soon. IMHO both front and rear view cameras will be the norm if for no other reason that insurance companies will get involved.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:35 PM   #17
leegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I suppose you could argue that the tablet on the dash is what runs the vehicle systems like heater, radio, etc.
yeah, i think if you had it built in you'd get away with it.

The touch screen integration of basic vehicle controls is IMHO a singularly bad idea. Having to touch a flat featureless surface accurately several times just to adjust the heating and change channels while travelling at high speeds. What could possibly go wrong?

maybe voice recognition will save us. 'hey car, defrost on'
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 07:12 PM   #18
dsraven

I would like a voice command that would allow you to disable the fast upshift so the engine only purrs at 1000 rpm, before you cross the intersection. it would also disable the v4 option unless commanded to let it run, say, on the highway. nothing more frustrating than the fast upshift, then no power, so you step on the gas, it thinks for a few seconds, literally, then downshifts through several gears and pins your head to the headrest when it finally goes. then, obviously, you let your foot off the gas pedal, and it does it all over again. is it some engineers idea of a funny? the engineer probably rides a bike to work and rallies to close roads so the bikers can have more space. haha.

getting back, ahem, I love the back up cam idea but I think it makes us worse drivers and we end up not using the mirrors.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #19
dsraven

I like the cam in the roll pan idea. or the box rail end cap. out of the way but still gives a decent view probably. the newer trucks have soft close and better anti vibration rubber stoppers etc so maybe the electronics mounted in the gate would last better?
Old 12-22-2022, 04:28 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
On my last build 48 truck. I had a rolled pan in the back. I just mounted the camera above the license plate on the bottom edge of the top of the rolled pan. It was discrete and worked great. Its the black object above the plate in the picture.

Marc
Marc,

What was on the receiving end of this ^^^ camera? Was it hardwired or wireless?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #21
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Marc,

What was on the receiving end of this ^^^ camera? Was it hardwired or wireless?
Dan

It has been a while but I believe it was just a long RCA cable. It was not wireless. It was a simple plug and play once you figured out the camera placement and cable routing.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:15 AM   #22
leegreen

Here are some things I have found poking around on Amazon (Amazon Canada links). I have not bought or used any, but they seem to be somewhat common. Could be some interesting ideas, not yet a fully developed solution. I hope someone might have something to contribute.

This camera would be easy to install many places and is the kind of discrete thing I have in mind
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00P914W7C
Name:  camera.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  19.9 KB

This recorder will do up to 6 cameras
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09PH7H7DR
Name:  dvr.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  20.1 KB

This switch allows you to switch view between cameras
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074X4WBBS
Name:  switch.jpg