The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #26
Blazerowner

Re: Anyone have pictures of a Softopper installed???

The issue I have is where the rear part of the door weatherstrip pretty much hits the flap that holds the top. I can't even shut my doors like the pictures above with the window up. What is wrong with this picture?
Attached Images

Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #27
Blazerowner

Another
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #28
Blazerowner

Is it meant to just fold under the window? I may be able to slam it closed but I don't want to break the window.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #29
robs71k5
K5drive

I don't find it flaps around at all but I guess I should say I have left it go down the hyway not being in the drivers seat either .but from what I see from the drivers seat I don't have a concern as the horizontal pole is only an inch above the tail gate and makes it pretty stable . Easy to try it before you drill !
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #30
robs71k5
K5drive

The door issue is everyone with softoppers. Not sure about those with Besttop or other origional types . This has been my pet peive . I have called and tried to set up a meeting with them Softoppers but they don't seem to care and even went on to sugest they were going to make changes to the front attach points which would possibly make the header that I have been providing to Blazer owners tougher to install. I have been contemplating a move into softops for us , designed for us that addresses the door issues . It's such a simple task to keep the material a little longer on the top so the canvas follows the shape of the window. They said they would call me . I even sugested I would fly down there with my one of my Headers to sort it out once and for all but it's already April and no contact. So I have purchased an industrial sewing machine and looking for an operater to help me with the layout and design . I already have use of a vacuume heat press for Windows. If anyone has experience please contact me would love to put you up for a week and work on this.
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #31
Blazerowner

The issue I find is whether the flap should close under the window. If I have the window down the rubber channel in the back actually binds up against the top. I have to unbutton it because I'm worried it will wear the top or rip the rubber piece off the channel. I see others with the window up and door closed with it over the top of the material so I assume they just slam it closed and it folds in under the window where the Velcro flap is. I too called and asked and they were no help.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #32
72gmguy

Mine works great. When I close my door the rear of the glass "seals" against the top material where it Velcro's around the up rite and the top of the glass slides under the flap on top which diverts the water passed my side glass so not much water comes in. The only problem I ever had opening a door was when I rolled up the side window and it rolled up inside the material that wraps around the up rite. I just rolled the window back down and slightly pushed the side glass out as I rolled it up and it was fine again.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:48 AM   #33
Blazerowner

Do you have some pictures of the vertical area with it rolled up? Seems like the rear channel will wear the material even with my window up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmguy View Post
Mine works great. When I close my door the rear of the glass "seals" against the top material where it Velcro's around the up rite and the top of the glass slides under the flap on top which diverts the water passed my side glass so not much water comes in. The only problem I ever had opening a door was when I rolled up the side window and it rolled up inside the material that wraps around the up rite. I just rolled the window back down and slightly pushed the side glass out as I rolled it up and it was fine again.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #34
hemi43

I don't know if these pictures will help, but this is how my Softopper fits around the side windows. My doors close fine, but I need to keep the window down about 1/2" so that the top of the glass doesn't catch the drip flap. I posted a picture of the door which was closed with the glass all the way up, and a picture with the glass 1/2" down.
Dan
Attached Images

hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #35
72gmguy

I think hemi43's pic is what you were looking for. The only difference is my glass is about even with my drip flap so my side glass slides under without getting stuck behind. You will have to zoom in on my pic to see what I mean.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  58.6 KB

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:32 AM   #36
Blazerowner

That's exactly how mine looks. On hemis last picture is what I was concerned with the rubber wearing the material or even ripping the rubber off. It's worse if I close the door with the window down. Just wish the material curved up higher. I've considered having it sewed differently so it doesn't catch.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #37
69-72

So I picked up a top about 6 weeks ago now. I have it always in the down position and I do a lot of highway driving and as you know, the stoage cover that accompanies the top isn't of the best and catches a lot of air, so I cut about an inch of excess material out of it and added a zipper. It's a much cleaner design and doesn't act like a sail going down the road anymore. I cut off the stupid dangly straps too 😛

Anyone that's interested, it a #10 Nylon separating locking zipper, 54" long, fits perfect.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #38
69-72

Not the best pic but it gives an idea, don't know why it ended upside down
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #39
smith

I've got an old Kayline top that is pretty beat up and I am deciding whether to get a shop to just make me a new one to fit and keep my old hardware or get a softopper. Can someone post a close up of how the softopper attaches at the top of the windshield? My Kayline has snaps that I had to drill into that area. Thanks

smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #40
Blazerowner

The softopper attaches with snaps or they sell a strip that screws in to reduce the holes. I Personaly didn't want to drill any holes so I made a piece that Bolts to the original mounts and attached the strip to it. There is a member who makes a header piece to avoid this as well. I wanted a steel one so I made it myself.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #41
callonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasycigars View Post
With enough fine tune adjusting you can get it to work. It took adjusting doors, body shimming, panel adjustment, proper placement of the header bar (the corners are the key). I'm happy with mine. You can reduce the gap at the pillar as well if you are crafty.

I had a double wall top on my K5 and the holes drilled in the Softopper bed rails were for a single wall. My suggestion would be to have them ship a nondrilled set of bed rails and drill them yourself. Take your time and install on a warmer/sunny day. The spreader bar is a bit tricky at the ends so do drill them last after stretching and snapping top on to see here the holes need to be.

This top will leak in heavy rain. But it's a soft top and not a convertible top. I have just wedged a foam between the pillar/window/top area while driving.

The top overall is the best I have seen and the only application now. I'd love zip out sides and might take it to an upholsterer and have them remedy that. I think the price is very fair for what ya get and have no real complaints. I am so confident in the top that I sold my hard top and bought and extra one just in case they stop making them or I buy another K5.

NOTE> Your geometry does change when removing your hard top. Check and shim as needed.

As far as being secure I wouldn't worry about someone slicing it as anyone can unsnap and get in in a couple seconds...it's a soft top after all.

Hope that helps and if anyone has any thing to add or tips I’d love to hear!

All the best,

bigeasycigars
Thanks for the info! We just ordered the top!
callonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #42
A1971Blazer

Mine closes under the top strip....I was in one rainstorm....it did not leak anywhere that I could see..
Top down but not snapped in this picture
window down
Name:  IMG_2397.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  60.1 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote