The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
LBH72

Thinking of bartering for this Blazer...

It's a 1972 with a bunch of rust. What do you guys think it's worth from looking at the Ad?

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/5406726821.html
Posted via Mobile Device
LBH72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
tjsblazer

Re: Thinking of bartering for this Blazer...

That body is missing a lot of metal. Basically the entire rocker and torsion box support. Also floor and the area where the A pillars meet. Typically rust is like an iceberg so you only see the tip of it till you really get digging. I'm living in a similar climate so I've seen it also.
Certainly there are others who fix this amount of rot so it can be done. There are lots of examples in the Builds area of the forum. Replacement panels are available but you need to either be a fabrication and body guy yourself with a lot of free time or you need to have a big cheque to pay someone who is.
I'd personally steer clear of that much rot and continue to look, however, if bringing one in from a dryer climate is not something you want to consider, you choices may be limited. Not sure on your market area.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
LBH72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsblazer View Post
That body is missing a lot of metal. Basically the entire rocker and torsion box support. Also floor and the area where the A pillars meet. Typically rust is like an iceberg so you only see the tip of it till you really get digging. I'm living in a similar climate so I've seen it also.
Certainly there are others who fix this amount of rot so it can be done. There are lots of examples in the Builds area of the forum. Replacement panels are available but you need to either be a fabrication and body guy yourself with a lot of free time or you need to have a big cheque to pay someone who is.
I'd personally steer clear of that much rot and continue to look, however, if bringing one in from a dryer climate is not something you want to consider, you choices may be limited. Not sure on your market area.
Thank you for your input. I do in fact have access to two of my neighbors(and drinking buddies)who are both mechanics and expirienced welders. I live in Maine so finding one for sale is rare and finding one without rot for an affordable price is almost impossible. Add that I'm more in a position to barter than buy makes my options very limited. I should say I'm not really looking to do a full restoration just want to get the rockers done and any other body support work. Kind of fix as I go kind of deal. The item I'm bartering is probably worth 5500 or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
71swb4x4

As that Blazer sits I would be very surprised if the doors open and close correctly.
When you start the rockers on that truck it's going to turn into a LOT more. In order to do the torsion boxes and rockers correctly, you will be doing the floor pans, b pillar, and probably much more.
It's a sharp looking Blazer, but there is a lot of body work that needs to be done to it to make it work right.
The picture of it broken down on the side of the road is an interesting photo to put into a for sale ad.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
grillzy

way too much $ for that condition IMO. Have one shipped from the south west.
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
LBH72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
As that Blazer sits I would be very surprised if the doors open and close correctly.
When you start the rockers on that truck it's going to turn into a LOT more. In order to do the torsion boxes and rockers correctly, you will be doing the floor pans, b pillar, and probably much more.
It's a sharp looking Blazer, but there is a lot of body work that needs to be done to it to make it work right.
The picture of it broken down on the side of the road is an interesting photo to put into a for sale ad.
Thanks for your reply. I know it's a lot of body work but what do you think it's worth? I've seen non running rust buckets go for 2000 around here and that's without some of the stuff on it that I would want . Lift kit and Chevy rally wheels for example not to mention supposedly good running condition. I'm looking to trade a evo softail for it with a salvage title. I think that's worth in the 5000-5500 and that may be on the optimistic side. I can't afford to have a southwest truck shipped. If I sold the bike I'd be looking for a 3000.00 blazer to ship if I went that route. I don't think it was broken down on the side of the road. The guy just sent me a walk around video from what looked like the same spot. It did sound pretty good. Not sure what to think now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
LBH72

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillzy View Post
way too much $ for that condition IMO. Have one shipped from the south west.
I'm not paying 8500 for it. I would be trading a 90s softail with a salvage title. I'd have to look for a Blazer for around 3000 bucks if I went the shipping route and that's assuming I could sell my bike for what I'm asking
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
grillzy

Lots of old body work done on that rig. Paint is holding/ covering up lots and lots of issues. Basically you are looking at entire floor front to back, all rockers in/ out, entire rocker boxes, all A and B pilars and I would guess the cancer is up higher than the purchased patch panels, rear bed sides, tailgate will be full of bondo on the bottom, front fender lower edge and front cups, all body mounts, and for all this you are still going to find the windshield frame to be bad at the top. Add up the price of all the replacement panels then add the time and frustration. Just want you to know what your getting into.
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
LBH72

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillzy View Post
Lots of old body work done on that rig. Paint is holding/ covering up lots and lots of issues. Basically you are looking at entire floor front to back, all rockers in/ out, entire rocker boxes, all A and B pilars and I would guess the cancer is up higher than the purchased patch panels, rear bed sides, tailgate will be full of bondo on the bottom, front fender lower edge and front cups, all body mounts, and for all this you are still going to find the windshield frame to be bad at the top. Add up the price of all the replacement panels then add the time and frustration. Just want you to know what your getting into.
Thank you for your input. You guys know more about these trucks than I do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
franken

This guy wants to trade... Maybe you can talk him into the softail, ride it down and drive the Jimmy back.
Not sure if you're interested in a square, or if the Jimmy runs.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5443740647.html
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #11
LBH72

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
This guy wants to trade... Maybe you can talk him into the softail, ride it down and drive the Jimmy back.
Not sure if you're interested in a square, or if the Jimmy runs.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5443740647.html
I've already owned an 89 K5 Scottsdale. It was a cool rig with the fuel injected 350, but I have my heart set on a 1st gen Blazer. Also I live in Maine so riding down to Texas on my bike is out of the question. Especially in February
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #12
franken

Sorry, it was in the 70s here today. I spent 4 hours marching around the swapmeet so my brain is gone.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #13

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5463238620.html

This one is somewhat close to you according to craigslist. Have you looked into it?
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #14
LBH72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68350 View Post
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5463238620.html

This one is somewhat close to you according to craigslist. Have you looked into it?
I have not looked into it. Thanks for the tip. Prob about 8 hrs away but might be worth picking away the usable parts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2016, 12:56 AM   #15
Got Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH72 View Post
It's a 1972 with a bunch of rust. What do you guys think it's worth from looking at the Ad?

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/5406726821.html
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't look to bad from the top side..................the underside not so much.

I'd go take a look at in person to get a better view of the rust, pull that mat up more, crawl under it and take a good look at it, maybe "poke" around a bit if ya can do so without pissing off the owner, bring a good bright small flashlight to try'n look into the rust spots better. Still might not be able to see everything, but it might give you a better idea on what you are up against.
Also price out every patch panel that was mentioned by others here.

My 2 cents................and ya only have to pay me if you buy it and like it
Got Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 AM   #16
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5452104702.html

Someone on here just posted this one....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #17
LBH72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Sand View Post
Don't look to bad from the top side..................the underside not so much.

I'd go take a look at in person to get a better view of the rust, pull that mat up more, crawl under it and take a good look at it, maybe "poke" around a bit if ya can do so without pissing off the owner, bring a good bright small flashlight to try'n look into the rust spots better. Still might not be able to see everything, but it might give you a better idea on what you are up against.
Also price out every patch panel that was mentioned by others here.

My 2 cents................and ya only have to pay me if you buy it and like it
Okay thanks. Prob going to check it out Friday
Old 02-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #18
LBH72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5452104702.html

Someone on here just posted this one....
I saw that. It's way out of my price range and no where near me. Thanks though