The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
James LaCrone

1955 Chevy truck gauge cluster

I am having a rough time removing the gauge cluster from my truck. It and the dash are in good shape and I don't want to damage them. I can get it out about 1/2 inch and it hits solidly. I have had putty knives in the edge but still can't get past that point. It is hard to see up there. I have googled it and found videos on the car cluster but it is different. Any help out there.
James LaCrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
mikebte

Re: 1955 Chevy truck gauge cluster

Have you disconnected the speedometer cable and be careful of the oil line. The line should flex, but be cautious.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
James LaCrone

Both are disconnected. Does oil gauge tube have to be disconnected at the cluster?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
_Ogre

assuming you have a 55.2?
sometimes those tf gauge clusters hang up coming out, never did figure out what it hangs on, it will come out with a little wiggling. there are no clamps or screws on the back side
if you still have the stock copper tube to the oil pressure gauge it needs to be disconnected before removing the cluster or you risk breaking it, if you have a plastic tube it can be disconnected as the cluster comes out of the dash
55 also has a mechanical temp gauge if i remember correctly, the tube needs to be unscrewed from the motor and snake out with the cluster

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
Foot Stomper

I gave up when trying to get mine out of the 55 Cameo so please post your findings and solutions once you get it out. This topic has come up several times and not once have I seen anyone post the cause or the remedy.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
OrrieG

on my 59 I have to use a putty knife at the top and make sure I am pulling straight out, any little angle caused it to hang up. I had to use the knife to get it back in to keep from gouging the new paint, even when taped.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
I gave up when trying to get mine out of the 55 Cameo so please post your findings and solutions once you get it out. This topic has come up several times and not once have I seen anyone post the cause or the remedy.
If you have a gauge cluster that is out you will notice there is a small flange where the bezel meets the actual housing. On certain trucks and on some dashes the tin work is slightly bent in . That catches the little flange on the housing I mentioned. On some trucks the slight out easily . On other trucks they will fight you all day long. If it is a salvage truck that I do not care about I slide a fine blade screwdriver next to the speedometer between the dash and the speedometer. Usually they catch along the top but can catch anywhere. If it is a truck that I intend to put back together I use OrrieG's tips and use something a little more gentle . I have used anything from putty knives to screwdrivers to hacksaw blades to help get them out. If you are going to re install you may want to reshape the rear of your dash so they some out next time. Good luck.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
James LaCrone

Thanks for the input. I haven't had time to try again but did get the seat pulled for better access. I will try to get to it tonight. I will post my solution and some pictures if I can figure out how. Worked on plumbing at my daughters new home, with crawl space, instead of on truck. That's less fun than working under a dash.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
James LaCrone

Can someone tell me how to post a picture, I will look around and try to figure it out.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
Divine 59

Sometimes the cluster is unwilling to come out. If you want to keep the integrity of the surrounding paint, maybe the plastic interior trim removal tools will be less risky than a putty knife.

As others say disconnect the speedometer cable and the oil and (if equipped) the temp capillary tube before trying to coax it out.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
James LaCrone

I did get the cluster out safely. The biggest catch was the back cover on the basil (the piece the gauges screw into) actually has a lip around it. Due to the overhang on the bottom edges of the basil you can't stick anything in from the outside to slide it over. I got a couple of small ink knives in from the back side and a putty knife on the top from the outside and was then able to wiggle it out. It was tight getting them in and a tight fit pulling it out. I ground this edge off of mine to make it easier in the future. I hope this helps someone in the future.