The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

stepside backup light ground

I posted in the electrical section, but haven't gotten any responses. My newly installed stock repro back up light doesn't work, but when I ran a jumper to the mounting stud from the negative on the battery, it worked perfect. So, my question is, where is the light supposed to get its ground from? The mounting studs themselves? I just went out and scraped paint from the bracket where the nuts tighten on the studs, and no joy. Any ideas?
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: stepside backup light ground

My 80 stepside had star washers on the bracket bolts, for the specific purpose of breaking the paint and providing the ground path.

Naturally - everything rusted and after I repaired all the paint it quit working.

I ended up running a specific ground wire from the socket through the harness to the frame rail and never worried about it again.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
My 80 stepside had star washers on the bracket bolts, for the specific purpose of breaking the paint and providing the ground path.

Naturally - everything rusted and after I repaired all the paint it quit working.

I ended up running a specific ground wire from the socket through the harness to the frame rail and never worried about it again.

K
Yeah, I've considered something like that too. The weird thing is, I actually replaced both backup lights and one works fine, and the the other doesn't. They are not exactly the same though as I've had one in the box for over 10 years and the other I got this past Christmas. I guess I should have a close look at the working one to see what exactly is different in the mounting of it than the other.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
Coalkracker

If it's just a ground your looking for then you can pretty much put it anywhere metal. Just be sure to clean any rust or paint off so you have a good connection.
Coalkracker is offline   Reply With Quote