The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
camaney

how to set choke on 292 inline

how do you set the choke on a 292 6 cyl 1970 chevy? thanks
camaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
cparman
sharp as a marble

Re: how to set choke on 292 inline

I think this is a divorced choke setup. You should have a rod attached to the choke flap that is a few inches long. The rod attaches to a spring looking thing that is fastened to the exhaust manifold. If I am correct, you will need to bend ( shorten or lengthen ) the rod to make the choke close more or less. This adjustment needs to be done after the truck has sat overnight ( best ) or for several hours and the engine is cold to the touch. The choke should be set by opening the throttle all the way ( engine off) and then check the tension on the choke flap. Bend the rod until you are happy!
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
airdale94

Setting a automatic choke is basically the same for all carbs. If you have vaccum pull-offs you want to make sure those are operating properly (will hold a vaccum). You want to make sure the engine is totally cold, sit overnight. If you have a divorced choke, the bi-metalic spring sits in a little oven on the intake manifold and has a little sheet metal cover. This must be there for accurate operation. Then you bend the choke rod. More for richer, less (or straighten) for leaner. I think you can look up a spec. for rod length. I wouldn't think you would need much if any in Sac.

cparman beat me to it

Last edited by airdale94; 01-15-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

What in the heck is a brown shoe doing in the flat lands of Kansas! We did say the same thing, therefore we must be right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale94 View Post
Setting a automatic choke is basically the same for all carbs. If you have vaccum pull-offs you want to make sure those are operating properly (will hold a vaccum). You want to make sure the engine is totally cold, sit overnight. If you have a divorced choke, the bi-metalic spring sits in a little oven on the intake manifold and has a little sheet metal cover. This must be there for accurate operation. Then you bend the choke rod. More for richer, less (or straighten) for leaner. I think you can look up a spec. for rod length. I wouldn't think you would need much if any in Sac.

cparman beat me to it
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
camaney

thanks a lot guys that help a lot
camaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
airdale94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
What in the heck is a brown shoe doing in the flat lands of Kansas! We did say the same thing, therefore we must be right!
Ha! Been digging myself out of a foot of snow since Christmas.
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote