The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
jarrodblake

Rustoleum primer hardener?

Should I use hardener in rustoleum primer? I have some wet look hardener for my paint. I was wondering if I should use it in the primer? I know it will dry faster but other than that should I use it in the primer?
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #2
mikelom

Re: Rustoleum primer hardener?

I will use a primer hardener only if I'm going to use it for a lacquer type paint.
mikelom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodblake View Post
Should I use hardener in rustoleum primer? I have some wet look hardener for my paint. I was wondering if I should use it in the primer? I know it will dry faster but other than that should I use it in the primer?
Recently I was technical sales rep for Rustoleum Industrial Coatings. No, you don't need a hardener, unless it specifically calls for it. Rustoleum has alkyl primer that dries when exposed to air and they have epoxy primer that must be mixed with it's hardener.

What's the name of the primer you want to use?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodblake View Post
In a nutshell you NEVER, EVER, EVER want to do anything outside of the manufacturers guidelines for using the product, NEVER!

If you were really experienced with the product and it's makeup, yeah there are times when you can, sure. But you had better be REALLY familiar with the products and their chemical makeup to do this.

"Rustoleum" is a DAMN BIG open window, MANY products, so which one are you talking about?

The thing is, the technical data is available for any product you are working with, here on line, at their tech line on the phone, it's all available to you.

Get that info and do EXACTLY as they say, remember, they want that product to perform as best it can. They spend more money in research and development on any of their products than we will earn sometimes in a lifetime! They have a lot invested and WANT it to be the best it can possibly be for you.

Here is a technical data sheet on Rustoleum Hardener, do you see the paint that you are using here? If you do, then you mix it as described in this data. If you don't see the paint or primer you are using, then you don't add hardener without calling the tech line and seeing which one and what mixing ratio. https://www.rustoleum.com/tds/206436%20RO-34.pdf

All your info needed to get the REAL info is here. https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote