The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
dave666693

New project opinions

My next project is a 68' stepside with a 250 and a floor shift 4 speed. I definately want to go with an automatic. Is a powerglide the way to go? I am keeping the 250 and adding a few performance parts but nothing radical. Is there a newer overdrive tranny that would be a better option? This truck has a 4:56 posi rear end.
Does a powerglide require a cooler or coller plumbing? Thanks
dave666693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Re: New project opinions

Powerglide is only a 2-spd tranny, so if you plan on running that thing on the street for more than 2 hours on Saturday night you better add at least one more gear.

Edit: the 250 ain't that big of an egnine, depending what exactly yer performance numbers are a 700R4 may actually live well behind it. I think the Mad Dog from Florida builds them up pretty good, but I don't personally know anyone who runs his tranny.

Last edited by Ivan D.; 05-25-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Ivan D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

I do not know alot about the power glide from experience but, I would imagine that you would be better off running a 2004R od a 3 speed auto TH350 when combined with the 250.

Not knocking the power glide but, when combined with the 250 I think the larger jump between 1 and drive would make for a real lack in power from the 250. Something you do not see when useing them behind larger powerplants.

Now on the power glide and cooling. Some of them have provisions for cooling lines to run a cooler some do not. I am not sure what years have these provisions.

My recomendation is which ever tranny you go with if it has the provision to run the cooler, do so.

That being said I think the 2004r would be a GR8 choice and being coupled with the 250 I6 you really do not IMO have to look for the heavier beefier modles that are avalible. Which you do have to do when putting them behind a higher performace Small Block or Big Block.

RJ22...

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:09 AM   #4
wibilly

if you think you might wanna drive it on the highway or any distance you deffinitly want an overdrive tranny with them gears. either a 200r4 or a 700r4 with the 200 you can use a driveshaft from a 6cyl thm350 with the 700 you will have to have one shortened
Old 05-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
shadetree

I'm actually old enough to, and have had personal experience with the powerglide trans. Go with a 3 speed, or better yet (considering those gears you have) an overdrive trans. The only possible excuse for using a powerglide would be wanting a "correct" show truck. For 1954 technology, the powerglide was OK. Nowdays, it is a museum piece.