The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2022, 03:33 AM   #1
scott123

72 almost there

I often think it is just me.

I switched from the 68 front clip back to 72.

I did the fitment on the fenders and all was well. Painted the inside of the fenders and inside of the cab, then the cowl area.

When putting the fenders on the last time the welded nut on the cowl for the fender broke leaving the bolt just spinning. One of the threaded holes on the front of the other fender threads are no good.

And this may be something I never came across. The driver's side fender does not have the holes for the overflow jug. My 69 (with a 70) clip has the holes. My Pop's 72 had the holes. These aftermarket fenders do not.

Actually, all very minor, but the weird stuff seems to happen to me. LOL

Scott
Attached Images

scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:47 AM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: 72 almost there

Nice work. Post up more pics when possible.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
scott123

So far so good.

This is my first time ever spraying basecoat/clearcoat paint (and only a handful or so of projects total). I had two pretty bad runs on the inside of the bed but should be easily fixable.

The previous owner put in a roll pan in the back and his placement left the bolts to the tailgate covered so it won't come off without cutting out the roll pan. I debated it for weeks and decided to leave it with the roll pan.

I had to lean over the tailgate without touching it and the awkward angle caused both runs. Other than that, I am happy with it thus far.

I will try to get some more pics. I have to save some money for the interior.

Scott
Old 11-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
Blazerowner

How are the fenders fitting with the hood? I used an aftermarket fender on a 71 I had and it wouldn’t fit for anything. I ended up finding an original instead.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:12 PM   #5
scott123

The passenger side was a struggle. I slotted a couple holes to move it a bit. I had to move the door out a bit as well.

I am not sure how to describe it but it was like the fender had more of a 'bow' where it met the fender.

It is not God awful but I'm not heading to Barret-Jackson anytime soon. LOL

I will try to get some pics of the gaps.

On the driver's side it is a hodge podge of parts. It is a truck door converted to fit the blazer and one of the previous owners replaced the quarter and the jamb. Between the quarter panel work and the door, I have too much total opening.

I can't blame that gap on the aftermarket fender.

I pulled the door to the fender the best I could and plan to go back and weld a strip down the edge of the door to make the gap.

I have never done it but I watched one on youtube. Can't be but so hard, LOL

More than asked, sorry, I started to babble.

Scott
Old 11-13-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
scott123

One of the things I found on the aftermarket finger is the fold are when it is formed sticks out maybe 3/16". It prevents me improving the door gap. It will be easy enough sand/grind it back a bit but it is just one of those things. I don't know how to flip/rotate the pictures. LOL

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
How are the fenders fitting with the hood? I used an aftermarket fender on a 71 I had and it wouldn’t fit for anything. I ended up finding an original instead.
Attached Images