The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2024, 12:00 AM   #1
vardenafil

W yum

Tonight I went to go start my truck and when I turned the key I heard a really loud constant electrical humming sound. Almost as if you were standing next to a transformer or something.The engine did not turn over. When I re turned the key the truck instantly started. No hesitation. I was playing around with the truck and I could reproduce the loud noise non start every few key turns. Is my starter solenoid or starter going bad? Or is there something else I should look into?
Attached Files
File Type: zip New Recording.zip (71.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: zip New_Recording_3.zip (49.5 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by vardenafil; 01-24-2024 at 10:04 PM.
vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:24 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Loud electric humming noise when starting engine

It's kind of hard to tell without hearing it, perhaps you can make a video and post it on youtube or other hosting service for us to hear. But from your description I think I have the same thing happening now and then. I think it could be solenoid going bad, but it could also be weak voltage at the solenoid, or my battery going on 7 years old. I might trade the battery out of my wife's car and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't go away then it would be time to measure the voltage going into the solenoid, and I may consider replacing the solenoid. I think I would rather replace the solenoid rather than the whole starter, because the starter is not giving me any other trouble.
If you have questionable battery terminals that could be the cause. A few years ago I had what I thought was a bad starter, but it was clamp-on repair type battery terminals that caused the problem. I hate those things, will never tolerate those again even for a quick fix. Don't go cheap on battery cables, and the top-post cables at auto parts stores are all crappy, so beware. Anyway I don't mean to go on and on...
If you have this type of terminal, change out your battery cables, not necessarily first thing, but soon:
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 01:49 AM   #3
vardenafil

Thanks for the reply. The battery is only 4 months old so I know that’s not the problem. When I replaced the battery they tested the alternator and the starter but who knows. I do have a battery post quick disconnect on my truck because something was draining the battery and I haven’t figured out what yet. I will try to post some audio tomorrow. Thanks again
Old 01-24-2024, 04:17 AM   #4
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardenafil View Post
Thanks for the reply. The battery is only 4 months old so I know that’s not the problem. When I replaced the battery they tested the alternator and the starter but who knows. I do have a battery post quick disconnect on my truck because something was draining the battery and I haven’t figured out what yet. I will try to post some audio tomorrow. Thanks again
That's a flawed assumption.. Never guess and/or assume.. Everything is suspect until proven otherwise.

The solenoid's purpose is two-fold.. To bridge the contacts between the battery cable and starter field windings. The second function is to move the bendix along the starter shaft until it engages the flywheel. If the starter is spinning, the solenoid is doing its job.

Without actually hearing the noise, I'm thinking the starter bendix is going out, allowing the starter to "freewheel"..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 05:50 PM   #5
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
That's a flawed assumption.. Never guess and/or assume.. Everything is suspect until proven otherwise.

The solenoid's purpose is two-fold.. To bridge the contacts between the battery cable and starter field windings. The second function is to move the bendix along the starter shaft until it engages the flywheel. If the starter is spinning, the solenoid is doing its job.

Without actually hearing the noise, I'm thinking the starter bendix is going out, allowing the starter to "freewheel"..
Bingo!
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM   #6
vardenafil

Added audio to original post. Thanks for any help
Old 01-24-2024, 10:50 PM   #7
dmjlambert

I think that sounds like failure of the solenoid to engage. It can be caused by a number of things, I listed some in my earlier post. The easiest thing to diagnose would be weak battery if you have another vehicle's battery to swap with.

You didn't mention the condition or type of your battery terminals, those are suspect. Man, I sure hate clamp-on emergency repair terminals, but they are common. You did mention electrical problem of unknown battery drain, I don't know if that is directly related to the starter problem, but it could be. That really needs to be figured out.

You can also attach using an alligator clip test wire on the purple solenoid wire where it attaches to the solenoid, and measure the voltage with a multimeter during your attempted starts. Be careful with the placement of the test clip, because it would be easy to short across the other terminals and cause the starter to turn. So, disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery while you are placing the test clip. While you're there, make sure the connections are clean and snug. If you have a large voltage drop when you are attempting to start, that could indicate a problem with the connections and wiring from the battery and into the cab and through your ignition switch and back out of the cab to the starter.

Move the multimeter to measure the voltage at the battery, and see how much the battery's voltage drops during an attempted start. If the battery voltage drops just a little during an attempted start, but the voltage drop on the purple wire where attached to the starter is big, the problem is with connectors or wiring. A common culprit on these trucks is the connector on the back of the ignition switch being over heated and melted. So, look up under the dash and inspect carefully.

There are several connections to check, examine all connections from the battery, through the connection block on the passenger fender next to the battery, pull on the fusible link wire to see if it's fried inside the insulation, check the wiring on both sides of the firewall connector and inside the connector, the fuse panel only attaches with 2 screws so it is easy to move out of the way to check the wiring underneath, check the connections at the neutral safety switch. I'm talking about 12 gauge red wires going from the battery all the way to the ignition switch, and 12 gauge purple wire coming out of ignition switch and through the various connectors leading all the way to the starter.

While you have the firewall plug disconnected, pull the wiring and connection block out of the driver side fender and have a look at it. That is a great place for rats to have had a snack of your wires at some time in the past, I have knowledge of that.

If you're not finding big voltage drop anywhere it could be your solenoid needs replaced. Others on the forum may have more advice, and possibly better. Patience and checking stuff...

Sorry about the long winded post. Lots to say I guess.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 01-27-2024 at 02:51 PM.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote