The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
cheap68

Best drop springs for weight transfer

Hey guys, longtime member but first official post. Looking for any information I can on a good set of front drop springs. I've searched and havnt seen any info that has been a huge help so far. 68 c10 hot street/drag truck build. My goal is to have the front as low as possible, the dilemma I have is that I'm using chevelle rotors and camaro calipers with stock spindles to have a 5x4.75 bolt pattern to be able to use skinnies on the front. So drop spindles unfortunately aren't an option for me, as they use 5x5 bolt patterns which severely limits my wheel option for 4" wide front runners. I've got 3" springs on it right now that have been cut and it definitely sits low but is below the bump stops so not really safe at the moment not mentioning the harsh ride. I don't plan on going anywhere other than in a straight line so handling is a non issue, but would like to have a soft spring for good weight transfer. I know hotchkis makes a 4" drop spring but am afraid it may be a little stiff? Should I try to look into getting springs custom made for what I'm wanting, with a soft rate? Maybe experiment with jeep or chevelle springs? Another issue is there's not as much weight on the front anymore with a fiberglass hood, roll pan and no fender wells, so that is not helping getting the front down either. I do plan on going to a bbc in the future so I realize that may help as well. What are you guys running? Any opinions are welcomed as I feel this is the most helpful and knowledgeable forum on the net for these trucks by far. Thanks guys!
cheap68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #2
dustin72

Re: Best drop springs for weight transfer

I use the MOOG 81114 springs on my '72 with a BBC and 2.5" drop spindles. These springs sit the same as a 2" lowering spring in my truck, which I had before these. Check out the post on the Moog 81114's on the next page. They transfer very well.
dustin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I don't know what Dustin has going on, and if it's working then it's well worth digging into for sure. BUT, 'typically' a drop spring is exactly opposite of what you are looking for in a drag spring. Because a lowering / drop spring is made to hold the weight, but in a reduced travel. So it will be a very STIFF spring which offers little upward travel.... but carries the weight with reduced travel to keep the chassis from bottoming out.

Not saying the right spring isn't out there and the Moog Dustin uses may well be the exact one . Just saying as a general rule,,, a 'drop' spring isn't going to offer the same stored energy as a true drag spring.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
dustin72

The Moog springs are not a drop spring. They are much taller than a stock spring with smaller diameter wire, similar to the Moroso trick springs. They just happen to sit at the same height as the Belltech 2" drop springs did, installed in my truck with a big block. They have a lot of stored energy and work well to transfer weight.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
cheap68

Thanks for the replies fellas. Dustin, are those weld draglites with a 5x4.75 pattern or do they have a 5x5 bolt pattern? I'd like to use drop spindles but all the kits I see anywhere all use a 5x5 bolt pattern on the rotors. Thanks for the part number for the moog springs, I'll definitely check them out.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
dustin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap68 View Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. Dustin, are those weld draglites with a 5x4.75 pattern or do they have a 5x5 bolt pattern? I'd like to use drop spindles but all the kits I see anywhere all use a 5x5 bolt pattern on the rotors. Thanks for the part number for the moog springs, I'll definitely check them out.
Yes, Weld Draglites with the stock 5x5 bolt pattern. 15x12 rear and 15x6 front. Ordered directly from Weld Racing.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:56 AM   #7
cheap68

The truck looks great! What shocks are you using, and what springs and shocks you got in the rear?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
dustin72

Quote:
The truck looks great! What shocks are you using, and what springs and shocks you got in the rear?
Thanks. Running QA1 single adjustable in front and Competition Engineering with 4" Belltech drop springs in rear. Probably switching to double adjustable QA1's in rear for next season.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #9
cheap68

Awesome, thanks for the info! I will probably try the same parts on mine. Id love to see mine launch half as hard as yours is!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #10
dustin72

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the info! I will probably try the same parts on mine. Id love to see mine launch half as hard as yours is!
Yeah it launches well for where I run. Just minor prep (VHT) on a small town air strip.