The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
SunSoaked

Headers & Dual Exhaust- Anybody?

I just installed a set of Hedman long-tube headers on my 86 K20 that the PO threw in when I bought the truck a year ago. The exhaust that was on it was a poorly done, cobbled together mess. Having cut that all off, I am starting fresh and hoping for a clean system.

First Issue: The D/S collector exits almost directly in front of the crossbar linkage between the frame and the trans shift lever. I was able to overcome this by cutting the lever arm off, reversing it and welding it back on. This worked great because that lever arm has two dog-leg bends in it and reversing it gained me an inch of clearance, enough to not interfere with the shift linkage in all positions and fit like stock. The rest of the D/S looks like a straight shot back with 2 1/4" tubing.

Second Issue: The passenger side looks like it needs some careful bends to get between the frame rail and the transfer case. The main culprit is a rod (brace) that is about 3/4 inch diameter that runs from the P?S t-case up to what looks like the P/S engine mount.

I plan to eventually lose this brace when I swap a my NV4500 into it down the road. If I don't remove the brace, the exhaust looks like it has to go UNDER the trans mount, which I REALLY don't like having it that low.

My other thought is having the P/S "crossover" to the D/S and merging into a single 3' pipe down the divers side. However, I'm concerned that the crossover tube will hang down low as well to clear the flywheel cover and front driveshaft.

Anybody have any ideas, advice or experience with this.

Thanks, Mike
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
SunSoaked

Re: Headers & Dual Exhaust- Anybody?

Well...this must have been an elementary or stupid question. I know I've seen many a square with dual exhaust, just never crawled under one to look. Never had a need to know till now.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
notallthere

I had mine bent at a local shop. The left side goes under the cross member and the right goes over the cross member. This is fine with me for now but in the future I will be changing out the cross member so the pipes can be straight back.
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
aharper33

Mine was done at an exhaust shop before I bought the truck. I have the same truck with a 350 and the same headers on it. It doesn't look like they cut and re-welded anything and I dont have any clearance issues from the headers all the way out the back.
aharper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
85/Silverado

this is how mine was just done. 1 7/8" Headman Headers and 2 1/2" exhaust
Attached Images

85/Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
SunSoaked

85/Silverado- thanks for the pic, just what I was looking for. I don't get why my header on the D/S exits almost directly in front of the trans linkage and nobody else mentions this? Maybe a different trans? Mines a th400.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
notallthere

So I had mine backwards mine is like 85/Silverado. My C20 has a th400 and I did not run into that issue with the shifter. If the exhaust sits more inside the frame then mine I could see the issue.
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
85/Silverado

Mine has a new TH 350 with cable linkage for the shifter, that is the difference. Sorry I wasn't paying attention you have a K20 not a C20. You may need the other type of headers shorties. That way you can route the pipes around the linkage.
85/Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote