The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
thermoman

67 burb gas tank question

Was wondering if ypu guys cpuld recommend a vendor that makes an oem sized/shape tank that has ring to accommodate a modern style internal fuel pump to run fuel injection. Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

Thx charles
thermoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
68GMCburban

Re: 67 burb gas tank question

I've never found one. I've seen people take the normal suburban gas tank and make it theirselves. Somebody else may know better, but that is all I have found out.
Posted via Mobile Device
1968 GMC Suburban- (Current project) Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=569806
(6) 60-66s (shortstep, rollback, two-ton, longbeds)
(3) 47-59s half tons
+ MANY more and always looking for more
68GMCburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
ttowndave

try tanks brand
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
OneOffStroker

I just bought one of the poly tanks from radiators usa on eBay for about $130 and cut the hole on top to 4", which is the size of a 2000+ Silverado fuel pump/sender and secured the lock ring with some custom brackets. I haven't fueled it up yet, but I'm sure it will be fuel tight.

So basically...your best bet is to modify one tank or another.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOffStroker View Post
I just bought one of the poly tanks from radiators usa on eBay for about $130 and cut the hole on top to 4", which is the size of a 2000+ Silverado fuel pump/sender and secured the lock ring with some custom brackets. I haven't fueled it up yet, but I'm sure it will be fuel tight.

So basically...your best bet is to modify one tank or another.
That's what I'm going to do in the next couple of days. Do you have any pics you can share? Any info on the locking mechanism? I was just going to drill holes in the metal ring around the edge, make a gasket,use some gasket sealer, and screw it straight in to the to of the tank. Would love to try it your way!

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
OneOffStroker

I didn't really plan to post anything about it, so I didn't really take pics. It's in the truck now as of last night, but I just have to wire the electrical connector but it's raining like a mofo right now. However, I cut an access hole in the floor to access the tank/pump, so I can shoot some pics of what I did. I'll add more detail with pics later tonight or tomorrow-ish.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
jorgensensc

Thank you! I appreciate that. I planned on cutting a hole in the floor also. I was found an access panel in ' the truck shop' catalog out of orange that I might try.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

I know you wanted a stock type tank with the bigger sending unit flange but what about a newer tank with the right flange size and already EFI ready?

I need more capacity than the stock tank has plus I need the internal EFI fuel pump sump pan to keep an in-tank fuel pump happy. I am removing the crossmember from right behind the stock tank to make room for an 87-91 square body Suburban 31 or 40 gallon tank. Their frame rails are the same width apart as ours so it fits in there really well.

Looks like the install will be pretty straight forward other than the filler neck on the wrong side. Not sure if I am going to relocate the fill port on the tank or move the filler neck to the passenger side quarter panel. With the amount of time I will be spending at the gas station I kind of like the passenger side filler neck idea as the lines at the gas station are shorter for the cars with passenger side filler necks.

You could flip the tank to change the orientation but the approach angle on the bottom rear of the tank would be on the wrong side and the back of the tank would be more exposed to possible damage.

They are pretty cheap too. Many places sell them for just over $100 shipped.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
I know you wanted a stock type tank with the bigger sending unit flange but what about a newer tank with the right flange size and already EFI ready?

I need more capacity than the stock tank has plus I need the internal EFI fuel pump sump pan to keep an in-tank fuel pump happy. I am removing the crossmember from right behind the stock tank to make room for an 87-91 square body Suburban 31 or 40 gallon tank. Their frame rails are the same width apart as ours so it fits in there really well.

Looks like the install will be pretty straight forward other than the filler neck on the wrong side. Not sure if I am going to relocate the fill port on the tank or move the filler neck to the passenger side quarter panel. With the amount of time I will be spending at the gas station I kind of like the passenger side filler neck idea as the lines at the gas station are shorter for the cars with passenger side filler necks.

You could flip the tank to change the orientation but the approach angle on the bottom rear of the tank would be on the wrong side and the back of the tank would be more exposed to possible damage.

They are pretty cheap too. Many places sell them for just over $100 shipped.

I looked into that idea. I would really LOVE to have more capacity! I have to be honest though, I'm a leery of removing that crossmember. I have the third row seats and they will be used very frequently (4 kids). Theres a hidden hitch back there too! I've also already got a drivers side fill grafted in on the rear quarter panel so I would have to modify that tank anyway.
I already own the fuel pump/sender from an 05 silverado with the bucket, so I won't need the baffles. I like the idea of being able to go down and just buy a new fuel pump from the parts store if I need one. And my new fuel gauge runs off the CAN BUS system, so it sends the signal to the PCM, where my gauges pick up the signal. My other concern on the 87-91 tank is that my understanding is that most (unless you go super expensive) of the aftermarket in tank fuel pumps you would have to use to get the right pressure for the ls motor are loud when running.
Do you have different information you can share?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
jorgensensc

Oneoffsroker,
Any luck with the pics? If not, can you give me an idea of what you did and what parts you used? I like the idea of using the lock ring, but am unsure how to make it work with the poly tank.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
I looked into that idea. I would really LOVE to have more capacity! I have to be honest though, I'm a leery of removing that crossmember. I have the third row seats and they will be used very frequently (4 kids). Theres a hidden hitch back there too! I've also already got a drivers side fill grafted in on the rear quarter panel so I would have to modify that tank anyway.
I already own the fuel pump/sender from an 05 silverado with the bucket, so I won't need the baffles. I like the idea of being able to go down and just buy a new fuel pump from the parts store if I need one. And my new fuel gauge runs off the CAN BUS system, so it sends the signal to the PCM, where my gauges pick up the signal. My other concern on the 87-91 tank is that my understanding is that most (unless you go super expensive) of the aftermarket in tank fuel pumps you would have to use to get the right pressure for the ls motor are loud when running.
Do you have different information you can share?
I have run an LS engine swap off of the Walbro 255lph in-tank pump designed for 3-BAR LT1 applications with the 04 Vette filter/regulator in a Chevelle swap I did a few years ago. Worked great at the higher LS 4-BAR pressure. Not much louder than the lower pressure stock in-tank pumps for the lower pressure MPFI applications like the LT1 & TPI motors. I don't know if that pump can be used in the LS canister or not but most likely Walbro makes a replacement pump that does.

Many turbo LS guys run two or three of them in-tank with the 2nd & 3rd pumps coming on under boost only.

You can also get them as an in-line out of tank style pump as well to simplify conversions using a stock carb style tank.

Removing the stock behind the fuel tank crossmember isn't too big of a deal. It will be replaced with one a few inches further back plus there is room to reinforce the floor above the fuel tank where the 3rd row seat mount points will be. Plenty of room for the trailer hitch with the 31-gallon tank too. One designed for a square body Suburban will fit and clear the fuel tank too.

I should be doing this job in the next couple days on mine as well as fitting up the Class-IV hitch. Just need the weather to cooperate. I will try to get some good pics of the swap and start a build thread on my 67 Suburban where I will post them.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote