The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
b a king

1 ton burb

the 1 ton dually conversions that was popular on burbs a while back,was that boltting 1 ton springs under 1/2 tons? will the 1 ton springs bolt in? what about the front? crossmemebr bolt in. i have a 86 1/2 ton, would like to make it a little stronger suspenion wise too tow 16 foot trailer and old cars. open to ideas? anyone? suggestions?its got a towing package but the trailer makes squat even more then stock> HELP!
b a king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
b a king

Re: 1 ton burb

oh jeez,i know i cant type to good but nobody,nothing????
b a king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: 1 ton burb

Yeah,you can do all that. GM truck leaf springs come in 52" or 56" length,so you need to bare that in mind. I believe all Suburbans came with 56". Some trucks did,so gotta check for that. ll you really need to do is have your springs built up at a spring shop. For the rear axle you'll need one from a dual wheel pickup. The spring pads will be the same location. The cab & chassis axles are narrower and the inner tires won't clear your wheelhouses. They also don't give a whole lot of a wider stance,which I think you are after. The front end is pretty easy,I believe. Your options are swap the entire a-arm assembly frame to frame,or just change springs and the ball joints-out. I believe the tie rod ends are bigger and maybe the tie rods themselves. I've never done this,so not 100% sure on everything. But I know the parts are all interchangeable. It's just how fr you need to go I'm not sure of. That's why I suggest taking the whole assembly from a donor. Maybe someone will chime in here with more info and save you some work. But,it's not a real hard conversion to do at all,no matter how you go about it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote