The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Hudsonaj36

68 gmc bent frame or suspension sag?

Hi,

I have 2wd 1/2 GMC shortbed with rear leaf springs. In relationship with flat ground you can see that the rear of the drivers side is about a inch lower and this was confirmed by measuring from the ground to the frame. But where the bed meets the cab appears to be level with the rear window. So how can I take the suspension out of the equation and verify wether or not the frame is tweaked or the suspension is saggy and causing this.

Thanks
Hudsonaj36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Re: 68 gmc bent frame or suspension sag?

you could try to put the truck frame on jack stands so no tires are touching and measure i think it would answer your question.
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
JEC32

Have a long bed, same thing! Rear end from ground to bottom of frame almost 1" inch difference. I have coils in the rear and if I sight across the 3rd member you can notice that same 1" inch from the bed to 3rd member axle shaft! Any ideas what is happening would be appreciated!
JEC32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Hudsonaj36

I hear that chevy are prone to being off in the rear. But I figure if the frame was bent it would also look uneven in comparison to the front of the bed to the rear window. But mine is level there, only off when compared to the ground.

Even with the frame on jack stands, if they are all the same height then the measurement would be equal even if there is a slight twist. Maybe I am over thinking but I can't figure out a good way to measure for a bent frame vs suspension sag.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Hudsonaj36

So I measured the arc of my leaf springs and the drivers side is about and inch flatter. Now is that due to the spring searching or a bent frame pushing on it.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Axle

Odds are the truck got loaded on that side most frequently, which includes the driver. When you (that would be a collective you) put something out back, you probably put it on the drivers side because thats the side of the truck you will be getting into to drive away.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #7
andrewmp6

Some trucks lean to one side mostly the drivers side,Or it could be the frame is bent these trucks was used as a truck for most of its life.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 AM   #8
Hudsonaj36

Well, regardless of how it happened I want to fix it. I have been messing with measuring and such and still can't figure out where the culprit is. I am leaning towards suspension since it looks like the previous owner torched the front springs to lower it. Guess I will start there.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Post pics. We might see something that you are missing.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Hudsonaj36

Right now it up on jack stands, so I can't get a pic of the lean. So here is my plan. Since the front end looks like it has all original worn out parts, and torched springs. I ordered a new front end kit( here http://m.ebay.com/itm/321299110782?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1 ) and new 3" drop springs with shocks from ccp. I measured the front coils and they are not even so I figured might as well replace some stuff since it needs it and see where that leaves the lean. Also going to remove a couple leafs and swap sides with the leaf springs. Also have a sway bar Im going to install. If none of that fixes it, then off to the frame shop. They said if it was twisted it wouldn't be more than $300 to straighten it.