The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Root2812

1950 Chevy Rear Suspension Design Questions

So I have a 1950 Chevy Half Ton truck that I am modifying. My end goal is a comfortable riding truck that can support the towing of a small camper. I estimate the camper at 500 pounds tongue weight. I already have a 2000 Explorer 8.8 rear end with traction lock (posi). When I took the donor rear I also kept the leafs.

Since this is going to be a cruiser with mild towing and not a performance application what should I do for a rear suspension. I have a few idea, please comment if you can or throw out a new idea.

Idea 1. Keep the 1950 suspension and mount the rear end. I think this will ride as poorly as it does now so its on the bottom of the list.

Idea 2. Use the explorer leafs. They have some miles but worked on the 5.0 v8 explorer. I just have no idea how to make it all fit.

Idea 3. Use a 4 link and coil overs. Can coil overs handle that kind of load?

Idea 4. TCI leaf kit made for a rear end swap into my style truck. I can't find info on the ability of these leafs though.

Sorry for the wall of text. I am totally out of my element here and have been beating my head against the wall. I don't want to drop $500 on something just to have it squat to the ground when I hook up a camper. Please help and thank you.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
CHRIS67GMC

Re: 1950 Chevy Rear Suspension Design Questions

If you want a good ride go 4-link with air bags.

Coil overs will have to be so over sprung that it will ride like a log wagon.
CHRIS67GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Root2812

Re: 1950 Chevy Rear Suspension Design Questions

Air bags are going to be out due to cost. Maybe an old school air shock will do the trick. I can add air with a compressor to lift the truck if it squats. I had some on a car in high school. I was able to air it up with a compressor because it had a fitting just like a tire stem. The problem with bags is the cost of the compressor and tanks. With the shock I was able to just pull up to the air at the gas station.