The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
8man

Search this forum challenged

As the title says, I have a search function problem. It's me not the computer.

I'm trying to find any info I can on adding electric locks to a 1954 door with the stock style mechanism.

I can find all sorts of stuff on the Altman/Bear Claw, but not the stock mechanism.

Is the problem that it hasn't been done, that it can't be done, or that I just don't know how to use the search function?
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
65blackfleetside

Re: Search this forum challenged

Have you tried the "Advance search" option?
I seem to have better luck with that.
Search "Titles only"
then click on the 1947-59 section
Old 08-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
As the title says, I have a search function problem. It's me not the computer.

I'm trying to find any info I can on adding electric locks to a 1954 door with the stock style mechanism.

I can find all sorts of stuff on the Altman/Bear Claw, but not the stock mechanism.

Is the problem that it hasn't been done, that it can't be done, or that I just don't know how to use the search function?
I did a little searching and couldn't find a thing. I know the room is very limited to how you would hook up the solenoid.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
b-mac

Try this into a Google Search:

"what ever terms you want to search for" site:67-72chevytrucks.com

Like this:

electric locks site:67-72chevytrucks.com

When you put the term "site:" in, whatever you put after it, Google searches only that site.

You can even narrow it in further, like if you added: "/vboard" after the .com

Also, when you search, start as vague as possible, and keep adding terms to narrow it down.
And, try to think of other ways to say what you're asking. Others might not phrase it the same as you, or use the same terms you do. Just some search suggestions.
I actually used to be on a team that did internet searches for information competitively, back when the internet was in it's infancy.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
8man

Thank you. I'll try that.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
joedoh

I think the problem is HOW the doors lock. you have to push the handle forward or down (depending on the position you install the handle) to lock the doors, and pulling it back both unlocks and opens it, you would have to get that sweet spot where it just unlocks. this is why the aftermarket latches can be made to lock, they have that provision and DONT lock by pushing the handle forward or down

I had a 65 chevy swb with the same lock setup and getting the doors to lock electrically was the same problem. I bought some 67-72 door latches because they matched the 64-66 latches except the mounting pattern and had a lock rod attachment, but I sold the truck before I tried it. the guy who bought the 65 eventually did it by adding a deadbolt solenoid that pushes a pin into a sleeve bolted in the jamb, no matter how hard you pull the handle the door will not open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
Try this into a Google Search:

"what ever terms you want to search for" site:67-72chevytrucks.com

Like this:

electric locks site:67-72chevytrucks.com

there is a google search box at the top of the forum that does the "site:67-72chevytrucks.com" thing for you. just be sure to click the 67-72 site only selection.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
8man

Thanks Joe. I have looked and looked, and I can't find an article even using Google where someone put electric locking mechanisms on a stock push button style door. Lots of Altman conversions using the push buttons, but no original guts.

As you pointed out, I read the write up on the "dead bolt" door lock. Interesting. I've looked at the shaved doors, but I like the push button handle on there for a little style.

So I'm digging into a couple of latches that might work. When I get my plan figured out I'll post it up in the build.

Thanks all.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
franken

I was going to suggest the site: thing as b-mac already did. You can also negate terms in google w/ a dash/minus. So add -Altman to filter a that. I find searches from google to work better than within this site. That might be my skil w/ the internal search though.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 PM   #9
BIGglaSS

I did it on my 57. Give me a few days to post up the pictures. Though, I used generic bear claw latches with the stock handles. It wasn't easy...
Old 08-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #10
mr48chev

Thinking about it a bit you almost would have to have the solenoid on the inside of the door with a tab on the rod from the handle to the latch for it to push/pull on.

First step is to grab that rod/bar by hand and see if you can lock/unlock the door just by moving it by hand or if you can move it at all.
You would have to build an armrest that covered the solenoid if it worked.
Three is no room between the sheet metal and the glass on the inside to mount anything.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
BIGglaSS

8man, sorry for the wait. I will admit, that I haven't got the handle forward to lock function working yet. I have it designed via another locking solenoid and cable push/pull system. I need to get the truck running and driving first, then I will finish the lock system.

But for now, I have the inside handle running a cable to the electric actuator and door lock. This way, when you manually open the door from the inside handle, it will unlock that door manually. This will trigger the electric lock and automatically unlock the other door. Both doors are locked and un-locked via an alarm system.

Using these actuators, you can wire all 4 in tandem. When one activates, all 4 will do the same. I don't think one will have enough power to move a door handle. Therefore I will use two on each handle in a push/pull configuration.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I posted some pictures in my build thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...7&postcount=27

Or, click the link in my signature for the whole thread. Hope this helps, it may be another year before I get the handle locking feature up and running...
Old 09-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
mr48chev

Thinking about it a linear actuator might work a lot better than a solenoid. One that is push pull and slim enough to fit on a bracket over the rod from the handle to the latch with a tab welded on the rod for it to push/pull on. Still you would have to redesign the inside door panels to clear it but maybe a custom arm rest piece would handle that.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote