The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
vintovka

Filling a dash hole

About 50 years ago my cousins decided to kick in the speaker grill in my 54 chevy 3100. Over the years the speaker grill wound up being cut out entirely and being replaced with a crude cover with the typical 3 gauge aftermarket panel and a big blank spot. Now having the entire dash refinished and the question of what to do with the hole. Was thinking of having a nice filler panel made with room for gauges at the bottom and a GPS/tablet in the 10" x10" space. The truck is still in demolition phase and excuse the finger tip (arthritis). The function of the gps/tablet ideally could include navigation. speed, camera display and possibly altimeter plus anything else they think up. A simple power feed and detachable mount is what i'm thinking. I understand it might be possible to have full engine monitoring, phone and even a picture display. What do you think?
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
chev3600

Re: Filling a dash hole

Great plan. I was considering the same for my 54 dash that someone cut up pretty bad. Plenty of 4g tablet options too. In the end I decided it was too modern for my old beater. I hope you can see it through.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
vintovka

It already on a 4x4 chassis with a tilt column so originality is shot. Just like the old B-52s it served, the AF would make every modernization to keep them viable. Maybe I'll call it model 1954-EPU? Goal is for memorial day parade in 2017 with my 92 year old (?) USAF veteran right seater. USAF officials say I can use the old ARMY AIR CORP emblem on the doors but not the new one.

FWIW the truck was vandalized back in 1973 while I was in SEA. All the interior was stolen but the AF paid damages because it was parked in a "secure" lot on Nellis AFB in LV.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:14 AM   #4
mr48chev

I saw a photo of one that they had put a second glove box door in the middle where the old speaker grill had been the other day that looked presentable.
Can't find the photo now though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I saw a photo of one that they had put a second glove box door in the middle where the old speaker grill had been the other day that looked presentable.
I have seen that along with a pull down radio cover. Age makes dependence on gps stuff even more important. Have heard, but not seen, Gps/tablet with radar and red light warnings. I assume collision avoidance, lane assistance and basic 360 radars are coming soon. These ADs have very limited areas for add-on instrumentation so why not make the best of bad deal on the dash.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
vintovka

FWIW: I was unable to find a repop 54 dash (or parts) to repair the kicked in speaker grill on mine. I have decided modify the dash to hold an 8" tablet for GPS, SPEEDO, sound system phone and anything else one of these can do. My Even add wireless Bluetooth speakers, gauge senders and maybe even the radar warning/safety systems (like in our 2017 Mazda cx-9 signature)
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
greg_h

Your truck appears to have originally been a hydra-matic truck by the transmission cover. If you decide to fabricate something different, That would be a sellable item.
greg_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
CATMdude45

I love the tablet idea, I would try and find something to cover it when not in use to keep the style. The PO of my truck patched all the holes in my dash so I am currently looking for a stock dash. I was planning on doing something updated in the speaker cutout myself.
CATMdude45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #9
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_h View Post
Your truck appears to have originally been a hydra-matic truck by the transmission cover. If you decide to fabricate something different, That would be a sellable item.
Good eye!! Came from LA plant to USAF in 1953-4 as a hydra-matic. The cover was severely altered when upgraded to 3 speed (2x) 4 speed (2x) and then 4x4.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #10
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMdude45 View Post
I love the tablet idea, I would try and find something to cover it when not in use to keep the style. The PO of my truck patched all the holes in my dash so I am currently looking for a stock dash. I was planning on doing something updated in the speaker cutout myself.
Again be careful ordering any repop 54 dash or big parts thereof unseen. Tough deal after you've paid horrendous freight charges and find it wrong (or badly made). a 54 fender i got from a BIG chevy parts seller was Badly made, dented and a poor fit. Wouda cost less (and looked better) to fix damaged original.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #11
b-mac

Don't know what engine you are running, but if you have an OBD2 plug, the program "Torque" uses a cheap-o (<$10) plug in, Bluetooth sender and will monitor all sorts of engine sensors. It displays them like gauges and you can customize the look. I definitely want to have this setup in my truck somewhere, but not necessarily in the dash.
Also, Skymangs (I think) used a piano hinge on his son's AD, and put the radio behind the grill in the dash. Turned out slick.
Attached Images

b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #12
vintovka

Its a brnad new GM performance 350. NO computer or OBD.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #13
CATMdude45

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Again be careful ordering any repop 54 dash or big parts thereof unseen. Tough deal after you've paid horrendous freight charges and find it wrong (or badly made). a 54 fender i got from a BIG chevy parts seller was Badly made, dented and a poor fit. Wouda cost less (and looked better) to fix damaged original.
True have not had to order big parts yet, I am looking at getting a dash out of a donor rather than a new replica, I use LMC and classic parts have read good and bad about both.
CATMdude45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 AM   #14
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMdude45 View Post
True have not had to order big parts yet, I am looking at getting a dash out of a donor rather than a new replica, I use LMC and classic parts have read good and bad about both.
good choice. If you have no choice but to order stuff requiring truck freight think about everything you'll ever need and having them ship it ALL in one freight shipment. Especially true if you need a new windshield or bed rails.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #15
vintovka

Ready for gps any suggestions????? can fit up to 8x5" need Bluetooth for phone, sd slot, good sat connector, speed and clock plus all the other stuff that comes with. Room for swivel mount.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:46 AM   #16
mr48chev

You need a good car audio shop for that and if it were me it would be one of the last things I bought for the truck along with new tires.

Automotive electronic stuff seems to get obsolete pretty quick and waiting will get you the newest and best unit at the time you get it. It doesn't hurt to be continually checking to see what is out there though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

Automotive electronic stuff seems to get obsolete pretty quick and waiting will get you the newest and best unit at the time you get it. It doesn't hurt to be continually checking to see what is out there though.
I have a pile of cell phones and laptops that remind me you are correct. So far the cheapy 7" GPSs (under $60) are in the lead but reportedly unreliable. My old 4" garmin nuvi works well but is too small. A larger Garmin would be nice but pricy. Heres an evolving list of functions that would be neat and open to comment:

Full GPS with good sat pick up
Large touch screen (8x5)
easy to read in sunlight
free map upgrades
Bluetooth (hands free feature for phone)
red light, speed trap warnings
posted speed and speeding warnings
clear speed/info readings
FM voice transmitter (or direct turn by turn voice)
Auto Dimming function
SD card slot
Good easy to use swivel mount
rear view camera (wired)
3 way power options
All the other bells and whistles of GPS's
Optionally would be nice to have wi-fi

Don't have an on board CPU so I don't thing an OBD program would function

Was planning to have a little video history of the truck made to run on a loop when at shows and stuff. Would have of pictures of the F-111a's and those its dedicated to. Playback via the SD card?

Am going to a couple car stereo places to see if i can get some help.

FWIW Tires are like new and budget is shot so why the low budget.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #18
_Ogre

i installed a monitor in my console when i built it and always regretted it, i never turned it on except to show it worked
i recently cut it out and all the wiring while i had the console out and installed a tach
i do use a 3 inch, ten year old cell phone for gps speedo, it's just double sided taped to the dash

bluetooth phone in an old truck will never work unless you use noise canceling headphones
same goes for turn by turn navigation unless you crank it up to concert volumes
just too much noise in these old trucks, a cell phone held to the ear can be hard to hear at 60 mph

your better off using your phone for gps, as mentioned, electronics go out of date so fast
any tablet with those specs would need it's own 4g cell and data plan, costly for every month of the year
your phone will always be the newest electronic device in your truck

spend your money on a mp3 player (same old phone for speedo), sub & speakers and amps to crank the music volume up over road noise

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
vintovka

Probably right. We have virtually NO cell service (no landline at all BTW). So dependent on net and satellite gps. If there was an affordable android with a satellite chip that might work. Been looking at a tablet with a chip like Samsung galaxy. Could detach it for use when not driving too. Noise is an issue but quiets down quite a bit when it drops into OD at 40+. I understand the FM transmitters will work thru the trucks stereo speakers which might work. Another 10 years and even our old trucks may be autonomous.

Might add a 15 dollar pyle am/fm/sd with remote works really well. Remote is IR so glove box door must be open (and kinda scary when driving). Heavy layers of soundproofing and good weatherstripping really cuts noise.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #20
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Might add a 15 dollar pyle am/fm/sd with remote works really well. Remote is IR so glove box door must be open (and kinda scary when driving). Heavy layers of soundproofing and good weatherstripping really cuts noise.
i thought you wanted to listen to music. a $15 pyle will make noise, not much else

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i thought you wanted to listen to music. a $15 pyle will make noise, not much else
Funny. Sounds as good as my other (cars some costing over 45K). Maybe I just got a good one? Was buying a cheap one as i figured truck was going to be so noisy it didn't warrant and expensive one. I was totally surprised by the sound quality especially that the chassis boxes now are 3/4 empty of electronics. I did think about using my phone and bluetooth speakers. Oh and that was $15 shipped from wallyworld too.

EDIT: a knowledgeable tech from the satellite tv company told me today most all android phones and tablets have a GPS chip in them that can be used independent of the cell/wi/fi systems. This might be the way to go and will try it out soon.

Last edited by vintovka; 08-14-2018 at 12:23 AM.