The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
rschap

Advice on new leaf springs and tips for a steering overhaul

Looking for advice for redoing my steering and suspension on my 99 K3500 Classic with 200k miles on it. I bought this truck a year ago and I’m starting to get some bad uneven wear on the front tires and it pulls hard to the right. When I took the tires off it looked like all the rubber was rotted, to be expected, and the passenger side ball joints are pretty loose. The driver side inner tie rod end is also missing the boot. I’m towing around a home made camper http://rock2rapid.com/camper/ and a trailer about 80% of the time as I travel North America so I’d assume just replace everything underneath so I don’t have issues in the middle of nowhere. I’m in the middle of nowhere most of the time. I also drive a lot of dirt roads with my camper and occasionally some 4X4 trails, sometimes with the camper. I’m in the research phase right now and I’d love to get some opinions on leaf springs, anything I may have missed, any tips, and potential places to get a deal on parts.

With the camper I’m already 13ft tall and get about 8.5 miles to the gallon so I’m not really looking for a lift. However, I’d like to beef up the leaf springs a bit and if that puts a little lift in I’m ok with it as long as it’s not more than a couple inches. The truck handles the load just fine but it does sag a bit with the camper and trailer loaded, to be expected. If you have an opinion on why I should do airbags or other suspension helpers I’d love to hear it but the truck handles the load pretty well without them so far. The guy I bought the truck from had a big boat he hauled around and most of the 200k miles where driven weight in the back so I’m guessing the leaves are pretty worn. My camper weighs somewhere around 1,500 lbs and the trailer is around 800lbs on the tongue. My cargo capacity is 3,500 lbs so I’m in range so stock springs may be fine but if I’m already replacing them I’d like to beef it up a little as long as it’s not too much more expensive.

I have Cooper Discoverer ATP, LT265/75R16 M+S, load range E tires. I had a blow out less than a year ago and had to replace the two rear tires so when I replace the fronts I’ll use the same tire. Power steering pump was replaced 6 months ago along with new rotors and ceramic breaks in the front.

This won’t be my first steering and suspension overhaul, my first was a 79 GMC Sierra where I also made custom control arms and the second was a 98 Tacoma. I’m a pretty handy driveway mechanic, but I’m a parts replacer not a real mechanic. I plan on keeping this truck for a while so I don’t mind investing in it, I’d rather restore the entire steering and suspension so I don’t have to worry about it for another 200k miles.

My research has led me to believe that these are the parts needed to replace everything:
• Energy Suspension Master Kit: 3.18101R
• MOOG Front end rebuild kit:
o Front Upper Ball Joint - Qty 2
o Front Lower Ball Joint – Qty 2
o Front Outer Tie Rod End - Qty 2
o Front Inner Tie Rod End - Qty 2
o Front Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve - Qty 2
• Pitman arm: Moog K6335
• Idler Arm: Moog K6447
• Gear Box: Cardone 27-7539
• Front shock: Rancho RS7150
• Rear shock: Rancho RS7190
• Leaf springs: still researching
• Front Wheel Bearings: Timken SP580303
• Rear wheel bearings: I’ll let Napa do those
• Rear Breaks:
o Shoes: Bendix 452
o Spring kit: ACDelco 179-969
o Drums: if needed
• Power Steering pump: already replaced
• Front breaks: already replaced

Last edited by rschap; 09-01-2018 at 04:56 PM.
rschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
rschap

Re: Advice on new leaf springs and tips for a steering overhaul

I missed these

Steering damper: Rancho RS7401
Idler arm bracket assembly: Moog k6722
Old 09-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
crsgmc

I just replaced inner and outer tie rods, upper control arms, upper ball joints, pitman arm idler arm, bushings for anti-sway bar. Consider buying the upper control arms instead of drilling out the riveted in ball joint. I started out this way and it was going to be a lot of work, and the bushings on the arm were not in that good of shape. Grinding the rivet heads off will not remove them, they will have to be drilled out.

I am replacing my rear leaf springs currently. Be prepared for problems. In most cases the u bolts will be rusted at the bottom where they go through the bottom bracket. Mine were bad enough that the thickness of the bolt was reduced by half. The other eye bolts are often very hard to get out and will have to be cut out. I did replace the bottom bracket as well due to rust damage. They were 22 dollars each. My truck has very little rust on it and I have never had problems removing anything on the truck. Something to consider when ordering parts. The truck is in the garage on jack stands waiting for the parts to arrive. I have the springs but did not order replacement bolts.
crsgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #4
rschap

Thanks for the tips, I've looked at the replacement control arms but I'll look a little closer. My 79 GMC Sierra had many of the issues you are talking about so I was expecting some of that.

What leafs did you go with? I've been looking around and found some heavy duty leafs from Rock Auto that are about $100 more per leaf but I'm thinking that would be better than putting on stock and airbags. What are your thoughts.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=462&jsn=462

or

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...353428&jsn=464
Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
crsgmc

I purchased my springs from Michigan Truck Spring. They seem to have good reviews. The price for the springs was low but shipping was around 70 dollars. I can understand the high shipping costs, the springs are heavy. They look well made, but until I get them installed can't really say much. My truck had a class three hitch installed when I purchased the truck a couple of years ago. You could not remove the springs without removing the hitch. The bolts were not that hard to remove after heating them up with a torch. I don't do much hauling or pull a trailer, so I stayed with the stock springs.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
crsgmc

My truck is a 1996 K1500. The springs on it are going to be a lot lighter than 3500, shipping is probably going to be even more. Maybe worth it to buy it local and save the shipping charges. My springs only have three leafs and the base over load leaf.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
rschap

Good tip, thank you. I shop local for most things but auto parts in Western Co are usually twice the cost. However this time there is a local shop that makes custom springs with a good price. Michigan Truck Springs is the cheapest but they're stock so i think I'll go with the custom HD from Spring Works. Thanks again for the help.

Local retail
Stock Leaf
Napa: $1,294 pair
Oriely: $814 pair

Local Spring Shops
Custom HD leaf
Spring Works: $520 pair 800lbs over stock ea
Alcan Spring: $870 pair 500lbs over stock ea

Internet
HD spring
Rock Auto: $538 +$101shipping for $639 pair 800lbs over stock ea

Stock Spring