The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #51
66_k10_manny

Re: 66 k10 4x4 disc brake/power steering conversion

I switched back to my original short water pump and mounted my PS pump with the bracket I got from Summit Racing. There is only about 1/8 in of clearance between the PS pulley and the frame. Would it be safe to notch the frame about 1" by 1 1/4" in order to have the room to adjust it and put tension on the belt? Also, my stock driverside alternator bracket sit right over the cap to the PS pump, it would be impossible to remove it. Am I gonna have to switch my alternator to the pass. side?
Attached Images

66_k10_manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #52
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you absolutely have to, you could notch the frame a little. But I would be careful to not get into the VIN on the frame right there. Considering the fact that you have a frame clearence issue as well as with the alternator, I would look for a different bracket. I don't know what the bracket you got from Summit looks like, but it obviously isn't going to work very well for you. Have you looked around for a pump bracket for the '67-'72 trucks. Although I can't say for certain if they will fit that pump. I'll look around a little and get back to you.

Edit: OK here's one on Ebay.....this one should work for you. Since yours is a 4x4, you might have to modify the bracket slightly, dunno for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-72...Q5fAccessories

Here's another one....looks good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-72...Q5fAccessories

Here are a set of brackets only. The one bracket in this could be modified some if needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...Q5fAccessories

There are some others, mainly repop looking brackets. Just do a search for 'Chevy truck power steering'
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-10-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #53
66_k10_manny

Everything has been installed. I already bled my brake system but the pedal is dropping down to the floor board. The brakes are grabbing. I think I have a problem with the booster. There was a hissing sound coming from the booster while the engine was idling and even after I turned off the motor you could still here the sound. Vacuum leak? Bad Booster? Took it for a test drive and the motor stalled and would not fire up again. I have spark and fuel. Could this all be caused by a vacuum leak from the booster?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #54
rocketwheels

ever figure out your booster? I had an AMC Eagle with a GM booster that hissed for years, never a problem. But, had an S-10 work vehicle that started to hiss and shortly failed.

Where is your braking project at this moment ?
rocketwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #55
66_k10_manny

My truck is complete and up and running. I never found out for sure and assumed I had a faulty booster. I bought a new one complete with mc and haven't had any problems. The only thing I've questioned is how far my pedal travels. It seems alitlle excessive but I think it's due to my pedal being longer than that of the blazer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #56
suburbangeorge

Way back when(1990?) I wanted disk brakes on my '66 4wd Suburban. Like everyone here I figured I'd get a front axle from a Blazer. One I got had a 3.73 tag on it but it was actually a 3.08. What to do? Called Dana and the engineer that I talked to said that you could not swap the Blazer open knuckle parts onto the earlier Suburban closed knuckle axle. Had access to shop manuals to both trucks and the more that I looked at the cut away details for the different axles, the more I said "why not?". So I did it. Everything from the steering knuckle and U joint out from the donor bolts to your original axle. U joint is the same on both axles except the closed knuckle joint does not have grease seals. This allows gear lube to lubricate the U joint. If you have joints with the seals just remove them. The only other difference is that the drum brake backing plate and the disk brake caliper carrier are drilled differently. Same 6 bolt pattern but one is drilled 12 and 6 o-clock and the other at 3 and 9. If you just bolt it up the caliper will be in the wrong location and the brake hoses won't be the correct length. Went to a machine shop and had the caliper brackets re-drilled to backing plate pattern. Doing it this way avoids making the minor changes needed to mount the later axle in an earlier truck. Turning circle is a little wider but your u joints are protected and always lubricated. I think Toyota solid axles are still closed knuckle as are Land Rover. Called the guy at Dana back and he hemmed and hawed and finally said that he'd never done it but friends who had did it just the same way that I had done. He couldn't tell me how to modify his company's axles. Liability issues you know.
suburbangeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #57
Draco66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yes you can just disconnect the proportioning valve from all the lines. I can't remember the exact plumbing layout, but you might be able to use the lines that go from the master cylinder to the prop valve. I'll send you a PM on purchasing the adapter plate.
Captain fab
I was wondering if you could send me the info for getting the adapter plate also?
Posted via Mobile Device
Draco66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #58
suburbangeorge

Quote:
Yes switching the complete front axle would be the easiest. As already mentioned, you'll just have to match the gear ratio to your rear axle. You can use any year steering box from '69-'87 4x4. The 2wd boxes are the same, it's the sector shaft that is different between the 2wd and the 4wd. It will be easiest if you get the pump from the same vehicle. And yes in about 1981 GM switched to metric threads with an O-ring on the PS hoses. So it's just easier to keep the same style of fittings on both the box and the pump. When you need the adapter plate for the steering box, let me know.
I disagree that swapping the entire axle is easiest especially if you retain the original steering. Later axles are not a complete bolt in especially the steering arm. Converting the original closed knuckle is entirely bolt in and you can do it on jack stands as opposed to moving around that several hundred pound donor axle.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #59
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I will send you a PM with ordering and payment info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco66 View Post
Captain fab
I was wondering if you could send me the info for getting the adapter plate also?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #60
Draco66

Quote:
I will send you a PM with ordering and payment info.
Thank you I ordered one two and a half months ago from 4-5-6 and haven't heard a thing from them I try calling to no avail running out of options need my truck back on the road
Posted via Mobile Device
Draco66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #61
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That seems to be a common thing with Tony.

I can build and ship your order within a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco66 View Post
Thank you I ordered one two and a half months ago from 4-5-6 and haven't heard a thing from them I try calling to no avail running out of options need my truck back on the road
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #62
suburbangeorge

I don't understand how things work here. OP wanted info on converting to disk brakes and adding power steering. A guy who sells adapters to add power steering posted about his products which seems appropriate but why is this transaction being carried out as posts on this thread rather than by private message? Keep getting e-mail notifications that there is a new post on a thread to which I posted. Keeps coming up as posts about purchasing adapter parts. Why not conduct these discussions privately and leave thread posts for new technical info?