The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2003, 10:26 PM   #1
Porkchop

changing front

I have a 69 3/4 ton and I want to lower it to look like a fast street muscle truck, but I don't want to slam it. I would also like to switch from the 8 lugs to the 5 or six lugs and I figure I may as well go for the disc . So, am I looking at changing both the upper and lower control arms along with the spring and the spindal assembly. I wish I could give you guys a specific drop height but I don't know how to identify what I want. I was hoping to be able to pull the parts off of a half ton truck and get the height I want. I hear the that mid to later 70's chevy trucks have discs and are a straight swap, right?
thanks for helping out someone who doesn't know a lot.
brad
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

A lot of guys are swapping the complete crossmember from the 73 up trucks to get the disc brakes. I have not done this, but understand that it only takes minor mods to fit(drill or egg a couple holes on the frame). I did the 3/4 to 1/2 ton swap that you are looking at. The stock crossmember & top a arms will work, but the lower a arms need to be replaced due to the hole size for the ball joint. In my case, I used 71-72 1/2 ton lower arms, & peeled the rest of the pcs from a 75 C 10......spindles,ball joints,tierod assys, & all of the brake parts(including the master, hoses, & prop valve). You may also run into a problem with the center link(71 on seems to be standard). At the rear,(if coil) you will need a 71-72 12 bolt diff for the 5 lug axles. The diff should pretty much bolt in, but i beleive you will need the panhard (track bar), & frame bracket from the 1/2 ton truck......also figure on different U joint sizes, & possibly D shaft lenght. You can also get a conversion kit(weld on) , to run the 73 up rear diff. Here ios the link..... http://www.classicperform.com/produc...ersion-Kit.htm Good luck, crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote