The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2023, 11:47 PM   #1
bandit0067

Were St Catherines built engines used at all US based assemble plants

Guys, we were looking for a period correct 307 for the restoration of my grandfathers 69 Chevy truck. We found a donor truck with correct casting dates to our Atlanta built truck . Donor truck is a Baltimore built truck with a St Catherines stamped engine . Question is, were the Ontario built engines shipped to all or just some of the truck assemble plants during time of 67 thru 72 Chevy trucks. thanks
bandit0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 12:10 PM   #2
mr.mud1

Re: Were St Catherines built engines used at all US based assemble plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit0067 View Post
Guys, we were looking for a period correct 307 for the restoration of my grandfathers 69 Chevy truck. We found a donor truck with correct casting dates to our Atlanta built truck . Donor truck is a Baltimore built truck with a St Catherines stamped engine . Question is, were the Ontario built engines shipped to all or just some of the truck assemble plants during time of 67 thru 72 Chevy trucks. thanks
there's man here in this little place we live in,retired from GM in Ontario and worked at the St Catherine's foundry.he'll know i'm sure.i'll call him and see what he knows and report back.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 01:15 AM   #3
bandit0067

Thanks, seems Im not the only one that knows very little about the St. Catherines foundry. Met a guy who worked at Tonawanda many years ago and he sure shared a lot of stuff with the Chevelle club members.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:35 AM   #4
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit0067 View Post
Thanks, seems Im not the only one that knows very little about the St. Catherines foundry. Met a guy who worked at Tonawanda many years ago and he sure shared a lot of stuff with the Chevelle club members.
hi,i sent an email to my buddy who worked at that foundry in St Catherines,he's away visiting family.he hasn't answered yet but he will.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:20 PM   #5
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
hi,i sent an email to my buddy who worked at that foundry in St Catherines,he's away visiting family.he hasn't answered yet but he will.
i heard back from my friend who lives just up the road from us,and worked for GM from 1955 til about 2000 in St Catherines and for a while in the St Catherines Foundry.he called last night to say they built 250 6's,283's,307's and 327's while he was there but couldn't remember or maybe never knew where the engines they built were going.he did say there'd be trucks at the dock everyday from Detroit and all over,taking away what they built.the St Catherines foundry closed about 25 years ago,he said.i don't know if this helps you or not but i'd assume(not good to assume i know) a St Catherines built engine could wind up at any plant?
Old 01-02-2024, 12:04 AM   #6
bandit0067

Thanks much Mr Mud. We are planning to put casting dated correct st Kat. 307 into an Atlanta built truck but did not want to if that was not possible or probable. I have messed with several factory installed 307s over the years way down here in the south but have never come across a St Kat. motor.