The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
TheStig

Red's 1971 Work Truck Revival

Hello everyone, my name is Red. I have been lurking for some time, but am now ready to start my build thread.

I'm starting with a 1971 C10 LWB that I picked up for $2k. the bed is rusted to hell, but the cab is 98% rust free. No major problems. It is 3OTT. current motor is not important as I will be installing a crate motor this week.

Here's the Deal: I need this as a daily driven work truck, and have less than a week to make it reliable. I have ordered thousands of dollars in parts that I will be installing this week, and I will document my progress in this thread.

Today I starting basic dismantling. Pulled most of the factory wiring out, took off a bunch of engine accessories and brackets, drained the radiator, and installed an electric fuel pump.

The Crate motor I selected is GM part# 12530282. Its the Vortec roller longblock with 2 bolt main. got it on sale at Jegs for $1909 to my door. I have a new Edelbrock Vortec intake I will be installing tomorrow.

I want to keep the truck stick shift (personal preference, and my girl says full size trucks with stick shifts are sexy) SO I ordered a 168 tooth flywheel for a one-piece rear main seal motor to attach. I will use the three speed tranny for now, but will upgrade to something with overdrive down the road. ..Down the Road...that's funny.

Got to get back to work, will post more soon.

-RED
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
litew8

Re: Red's 1971 Work Truck Revival

Wanna race?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
TheStig

So, I have made some progress despite RAIN. stupid rain.

I did get the intake manifold on and torqued down, put a bronze gear on my new HEI, timing tape on balancer, and began installing the new wiring harness.

here's after making room and drilling for the new fuse panel:

Also, here is a few things I'm going to have to deal with. I have no clue what dummy did this to the brakes. Explains why the pedal would constantly stick.

And this is the main reason I'm moving the shifter to the floor. I have been unable to find this part as an independent replacement part. It seems I would have to replace the entire column.

The following is some pictures of my dash mounted tach. It's a 3.75" tach that I installed in an aquarium decoration I found at wal-mart. I will mount it to the center of the dash with green LEDs in the eyes for night driving.

My buddy dropped off his engine hoist this morning, so hopefully I will get that motor in this weekend.

-RED
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
TheStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Wanna race?
You dare challenge The Stig!? haha kidding man.

I almost forgot, I took the stock speaker out, and found out if it still worked. Here's a short video of this:
http://youtu.be/Ld429vS_gTc DEATH BY ZZ-TOP!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
litew8

bring it
What kind of HP does that crate produce?