The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
Jimbo0076

Windshield Wiper Help Please

Working on my '85 K20 that has had issues with the wipers since I've owned it(over a year) and I've just lived with it until I can't stand it anymore. It has interment wipers and the washer is separate from the motor itself. Problem is they will not shut off when in the off position but if you flick the switch(stalk mounted on the column) back to the mist function then they will instantly stop but will not return to the park position. If you hold the mist function back it will make a revolution and if I time it right it will rest close to the park position at the bottom of the windshield. High and low works but no intermittent wipers at all. I figured it to be the delay module so bought a brand new Delco unit and installed and nothing changed at all. By passed the module by plugging the to connections together with no change either. I've read up what I can find about the wiring diagram and read that with the wiper switch unplugged that if I ground the black/blue wire from the switch going to the motor that it should "park" but it does not. I'm about to believe that the motor park cam is bad causing the no park issue but I am not certain. But the no intermittent wipers no matter what is another issue that I can not resolve. I figure it either has to be the switch or the motor but I hate to start tossing parts at it unless I know what the problem is for sure. I have most of the wiring diagrams in the back of old manuals but I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long post but I tried to cover the bases as to what I have already checked.
Jimbo0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
Greenlee

Re: Windshield Wiper Help Please

I had real similar symptoms. No intermittent function and the wipers wouldn’t park. Did the same thing you did and changed the module and then the switch. Nothing changed. Finally I replaced the motor and the wipers work perfect now.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #3
TKCR

Greenlee, was it an easy fix? I believe I need to do this too. The last time I drove the truck, it was raining. The wipers were doing crazy stuff. Just stopping wherever they wanted. Then they would start working again.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
cadillac_al

When the wiper motor gets old they will start and stop whenever they want to. I have been living with it for a while now on my plow truck.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
When the wiper motor gets old they will start and stop whenever they want to. I have been living with it for a while now on my plow truck.
Already added it to my To Do List
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
808_67C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Already added it to my To Do List
I had a similar problem and I changed everything from the motor to the arm and it ended up being the switch in the column. P.I.A. to change but, solved everything.
67 C/10 SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489298
79 K5 Blazer SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=657461
808_67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
blakerj10

On my 90 blazer, when it does this- Open hood. Right next to brake booster is the wiper motor. Unplug black plastic plug. Remove he black plastic cover, it just pulls off. You can now remove the black plastic receptacle that the wiring was plug into. This is the park switch, it rides on a wheel in the motor and has two contacts like ignition points. These get a little corrosion on them and don't make good contact. Scratch them up a bit with a tiny screw driver. Pop it back together. Works perfect. Usually have to do this twice per year and it only takes 5 minutes.
blakerj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
sweetk30

post#2 in this thread of mine got me fixed . http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=wipers

the 2 wire plug on the wiper unit is the park sensor . the terminals were nasty . i sprayed some cleaner in there and pluged/unpluged it around 20-30 times to buff the contacts and then some dielectric grease to seal it up all good .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote