The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
thewrai6th

Corvette to Standard 700r4 conversion help?

So, I ended up with a 700r4 from a 1987 Corvette. It basicaly came with the engine I wanted. I was thinking of putting it in my belair or GMC.

One thing I have found is that the tailshaft housing is shorter and missing the lower mount holes. From what I read, the tailshaft is also shorter than a standard tailshaft.

If I replace the corvette tailshaft housing with the standard housing (one with mount holes), the tailshaft will be flush with the housing.

Will I be able to a get a yoke and driveshaft fabricated for this? Does the tail shaft need to stick out of the housing? Am I wasting my time on this vette transmission?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
thewrai6th

Re: Corvette to Standard 700r4 conversion help?

Yes, I am wasting my time. The corvette did not have a solid rear axle. The differential did not move with the suspension. Problem is the tailshaft splines are too short. If I were to bottom out the suspension, the yoke could come out.
I don't feel comfortable enough taking apart automatics, so I'm just going to stick the vette 700r4 on craigslist and buy a standard one. I'm not expecting anyone to want it at this point.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

were you going to use the engine tranny combo? Or just swap the tranny to something else?

Why would it not work??...I did the same thing...I have the engine/700r4 combo, and it works just fine....

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GMCHorsepower View Post
were you going to use the engine tranny combo? Or just swap the tranny to something else?

Why would it not work??...I did the same thing...I have the engine/700r4 combo, and it works just fine....
C4 Corvettes dont have a transmission mount. Theres a support beam/torque arm running from the diff. center section to the transmission tail housing. I avoid them myself unless I need one for a C4 vette. You can make it work, but not worth the hassle.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
DLG69c10

How could you make this work? I just bought an 86 Silverado short bed and the owner threw in a 700r4 from a corvette.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #6
TransMan1972

It can be done, found this pic that shows the tail housing differences...for the truck you would use the mounting holes on the bottom part of the trans case for the trans mount and not the c4 tailshaft, if you already have the 700r4 in the truck use the tail housing off the original trans....before you install the "C4 700R4 trans" check the length of the drive shaft yoke into the "original" tail housing once bolted to the trans case and splines of the output shaft... hope that makes sense...
Attached Images

Last edited by TransMan1972; 07-26-2015 at 11:55 PM.
TransMan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransMan1972 View Post
It can be done, found this pic that shows the tail housing differences...for the truck you would use the mounting holes on the bottom part of the trans case for the trans mount and not the c4 tailshaft, if you already have the 700r4 in the truck use the tail housing off the original trans....before you install the "C4 700R4 trans" check the length of the drive shaft yoke into the "original" tail housing once bolted to the trans case and splines of the output shaft... hope that makes sense...
C4 Corvette 700R4 Cases, Easily Identified by the big "V" cast in the Bellhousing, Does not have a Case Mount Pad. Now, he may not even have a 'Vette "V" Case trans?

The Output shafts are also shorter than a regular 700R4, Using a standard Tail housing will not be ideal....The Output shaft will not stick past the Seal, Like you said it may work if the output shaft at least comes out to the edge of the Bushing. But you have to use a tail housing with a Mount Pad like this....If it is a "V" Case, Then you have to shim the hell out of it for DS angle.
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote