The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
70CHEVYBB

Goodmark door question

I have a chance to buy two new 67-71goodmark doors that are new in box for 500. The Seller says he bought them in 05 or 06. So the question is were goodmark doors any good back then? I have read a lot about door quality being not so good a few years back but hoping someone could chime in with some good info. My oe doors are way to bad to repair and I think new doors would be the way to go
Posted via Mobile Device
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
70LonghornCST

Re: Goodmark door question

I've heard of success stories with them, but for me, they were a headache. I had a set, but I couldn't get them squared up to both shut correctly while lining up with the body lines. I spent many frustrating hours messing with them before ultimately giving up. I found a set of OEM replacements and they hung perfectly the first attempt without any real effort.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have a replacement drivers side door on my '72 Dually The previous owner fought with it when he had it and I worked on it off and on for 6 months or so and couldn't to get it to fit correctly. I don't know exactly how old the door is but I think it is one of the earlier stampings. I finally got it to fit halfway decent by re-cutting the door latch hole and moving the latch up 1/4-3/8 inch. It still isn't perfect but at least it will close all the way now.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
70CHEVYBB

I think i am going to just buy other oe doors. I know they will fit perfect. I found some on craigslist but require a 10 hour round truip drive and do need some work but nothing as bad as my doors now. Thanks for the input
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
kxmotox247

Funny... that was me with the doors. I saw this topic and knew it had to be my ad.

When we bought all that Goodmark stuff... it was the best in the business for aftermarket. I haven't seen any part (aftermarket or OEM) that passed my own standards for quality. Everything gets tweaked to the vehicle. We had heard that the dies for the fenders, doors and other parts have since wore out. LKQ has purchased Goodmark so we'll see if the name totally dissolves or not.

The cab floor I installed this weekend is boxed as a Woodall. It's a pretty close fit. The adjustments needed could be due to a wore out cab. I'm using two Goodmark bedsides from 05/06. I haven't paired them up with the OEM bedfloor yet but the Goodmark sides were supposed to be the best back then too.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVYBB View Post
I think i am going to just buy other oe doors. I know they will fit perfect. I found some on craigslist but require a 10 hour round truip drive and do need some work but nothing as bad as my doors now. Thanks for the input

See if you can find an old Chevy C40 or C50 farm truck around you some where. They are around, and the doors are the same except the front lower corner is cut off of them to clear the front fender. They are usually in pretty good shape because the trucks sit up so high. You might get lucky and find a tach dash in it too....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Indyspecracer

I recently purchased some of the new doors, boxed in Key Parts boxes from Cooper Restorations. They are actually pretty good. They fit in the opening, body lines match and they latch just fine. The gaps had to be fit by grinding / welding / filing which really is quite a bit of work, but not too difficult really. The only fit issue that I have is the contour of the door is a little flat compared to the fender. I tweeked the fender and added a fairly small amount of filler to the door to get the two to match.
Indyspecracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I would personally pass. I bought a set in 2004. The outside skin is thin, much thinner than OEM.

They finally addressed this issue by making the skin thicker on the doors a year or two ago, unfortunately how old someone's stock is could be hit or miss so the best way to tell is to buy a set in person. Gently push in on the middle of the door, if it moves easily like a modern car, I'd pass. The new thicker ones flex very little when you push on the middle, closer to OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVYBB View Post
This is a great idea. I'm fixing my factory doors that I kept to go back on the truck. I finished one door, one to go. Glad I saved them. I didn't have the tools or skill to fix them in 2004.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Back then is when repro doors were bad and Goodmark sells what everybody else sells, with their name put on it. I heard they are more piucky with what they'll accept to sell, but that is the only thing to put their quality over others. The thing is, with something like doors made wrong in multiple ways, they are all bad so Goodmark was selling the best junk. Those bedsides from Goodmark are made by Woodall and there is nothing wrong with them...no matter who's name gets put on them

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote