The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Skippy77

Need Advice on Cab Rust Repair

I'm a long time browser that doesn't post much.

I have a '72 short bed step side I've been slowly working on for a few years now. I recently stripped the cab to do rust repair to the inner roof, rockers and cab corners. After cutting back the front of the inner roof and cleaning some surrounding areas I'm having doubts on how best to proceed.

Between the inner and outer roof I'm pulling out a lot of junk (rats nests looks like) but I can only reach so far back on the sides. I am also seeing a few small rust spots in the corners of the front window opening and on the underside of the driver side door opening (the bottom surface facing the door opening) about the size of dimes. I had originally planned to do the major rust repair panels and then send the whole cab and frame to be blasted and primed, then fix any small damage I saw after it came back. But now I'm worried if I go ahead and close up the inner roof panel I'll be trapping all kinds of rust and debris inside that will come back to haunt me in the future.

So I'm hoping others who have done similar repairs might be able to provide some advice. As I see it I have a few options at this point:

1) Proceed as planned but do the best I can to coat the inside areas I can reach with rust converter before I close it up. I've even considered creating a few small openings to reach more areas.

2) Send it to blast and prime before I close it up. This will show me all of the rust areas in the roof (including some I'm sure I don't see yet) then do the same thing I said for option 1.

3) Remove the whole outer roof skin (which I'm not even sure how to do) so I can access everything in the top and get all of the rust out from between the inner and outer roof. This would allow me to coat everything even inside the front A-pillars and rear quarters but create a whole crap load more work and welding.

4) Cut the whole damn top off and replace it with a better one. In my area this probably won't help much as many of the cabs are no better than mine.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Skippy
Skippy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
ChaseBBC

Re: Need Advice on Cab Rust Repair

I am in the same boat as you. As for your list....I would suggest doing it backwards....option 4 then 3, 2, 1. First and foremost I would continue to look for a donor cab and cut out what you need and replace. If you can find one. Look for swap meets. I haven't been to any yet but others have told me they have seen cabs for around 400 bucks. Then I would sand blast to see all what really needs to be replaced. then proceed with rust preventative, coat, and put back together and so on. That's the route I am going with mine. That would be the right way to do it but that's just my opinion. Gonna take lots of time, money, and beer!
ChaseBBC is offline   Reply With Quote