The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #26
nicks diner

Re: H.P guess

Well let's just say the dyno was basically a disaster, truck has been running funny ever since the AED carburetor was installed. took it to the dyno yesterday fell flat on it's face after 4000 rpm 19 /1 air/fuel. Anyways its at the shop now getting a new fuel pump and new carburetor install on their dime of course. the numbers were 295 horsepower 350 torque at the wheels. I will try and post the sheet later but kind of disappointed. My mods are on the first post of this thread. Any thoughts I know the cam was mentioned but I'm almost positive it's not going to cost me that much horsepower.
nicks diner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #27
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks diner View Post
Well let's just say the dyno was basically a disaster, truck has been running funny ever since the AED carburetor was installed. took it to the dyno yesterday fell flat on it's face after 4000 rpm 19 /1 air/fuel. Anyways its at the shop now getting a new fuel pump and new carburetor install on their dime of course. the numbers were 295 horsepower 350 torque at the wheels. I will try and post the sheet later but kind of disappointed. My mods are on the first post of this thread. Any thoughts I know the cam was mentioned but I'm almost positive it's not going to cost me that much horsepower.
The cam will make or break an engine. You can put the best heads,intake and bottom end together. If you throw the wrong cam in it wont make power. I know you don't want to accept it but that cam IS your issue. Any of the off the shelf comp xe or lunati voodoo grinds will make more power. As a matter of fact I bet a comp xe 268 would make more power than what you have now.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #28
nicks diner

I understand but I need to get my fuel issues resolved first and then back to the drawing board. On top of that my 350 tranny is leaking bad after the dyno pulls.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #29
nicks diner

Seen the same setup on a mustang dyno pull 390 hp at the wheels With my own eyes and kinda why I went that route. I actually have better ignition headers, and a little more compression.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #30
Hollow65

What pump are you running? Psi staying steady at rpm?

Last edited by Hollow65; 03-19-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Hollow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #31
nicks diner

Holley hi flo. They are checking the fuel pump and installing another new AED 750 today.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #32
nicks diner

Update re jeetted the AED was way of, throttle cable adjusted, carb only opening less than 3/4 of the way.
I will try and post the sheet when I get it but 379 hp and 421 tq at the wheels. 13/1 air fuel. Running real good and the tranny leak was only the drain plug. That's without the bottle which is only a 100 shot. BTW was almost 90 degrees in the shop. Not to bad but I feel it's got more. Was using 110 octane.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #33
Heavymetl

Temp matters "some" but the SAE correction math really makes the same dyno repeatable no matter the outside air temp.

I'd say 379/421 is pretty good and about all she's got with that cam and through a non-locked auto. Strong runner for sure and in that truck will undoubtedly surprise a lot of folks on the street.

It'd be great to see a graph as well, I bet the torque really piles on nicely in the 3000rpm range.
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #34
nicks diner

Yeah there printer is down but I will post whenever I get the sheets. And you're right they don't see it coming, cheers!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #35
Hollow65

When I replaced the base plates on both of my carbs, one of them wouldn't open either. Holleys carbs though.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #36
nicks diner

AED is a holley double pumper
Tweaked. For some reason it was jetted very low.