The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
1958Warrior

Exclamation Saftey recall hf jacks tands

Just saw Harbor freight has a recall out on their jack stands 3 ton and 6 ton,
Here is the link to Motor trend article about it:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/harb...l-safety-tips/

STAY SAFE EVERYONE!!
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Saftey recall hf jacks tands

Seems like one of their suppliers went cheap and didn't upgrade his equipment after it was beyond worn out.

I don't have a cement floor to work on so I have to use firewood rounds and dunnage to block rigs up if I need to.

For 6 ton ratchet jack stands Hein-Warner run right at 100 bucks a pair but the have been the standard of the industry for a long time. https://www.amazon.com/Hein-Werner-H...%2C850&sr=1-24

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:41 AM   #3
vintovka

Theres pics of how much metal is really in engagement on these and its flat scary. Something like 1/8" wide by 1/2" long
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
Gregski
Post Whore

thanks mate, looks like half of mine need to go back, I actually like these things but would love to get some 12 tonners
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
MARTINSR

Yep I brought back 4 brand new ones, only used them one time. There was a line of people with them!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Gregski
Post Whore

at store now, getting some BS about them being out of gift cards and the only way to get store credit is to buy something now ie today, ok fine, but they are out of stock on the item I want
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
vintovka

With the millions sold (and the failure potential) this will be interesting. Just dealing with the tons of jacks turned in will be a problem. Bet California Dept of Consumer affairs will take its revenge on HF altho The Chinese might find a way out.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
mr48chev

Found out a while back that the reason HF has several part numbers for some items is that that part number tracks it back to the plant that made it in China. That is how they know what plant (s) made the faulty jack stands.

These use a pin and won't drop.
https://www.amazon.com/Larin-JS-6-Ja.../dp/B00062ZEYO

If you live close to where there is a Blain's farm and fleet (none around here) the price right now is 54.99 https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...ack-stand.html

Not quite as convenient as a ratchet jack but no worries that the ratchet mechanism will fail.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
vintovka

You got it right. At least the pin provides 2 points of shear and must be made of tempered steel. Also you must intentionally move pin to use. The pics of the HF scared me stoopid and i'm Licensed Engineer.
I'll bet HF is trying to dodge some serious lawsuits by doing the recall. I'll bet folks will still sue and win. Reminds me of the lawsuit against Sears for one model of Bolt Action Shotguns that supposedly failed due to bolt/action shear issues. The fund ran out of $ and thousands are still in use. Thousands more are boltless as they paid like $200 for each bolt sent in.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
mr48chev

The "sear" issue on those bolt action shot guns remind me of the Winchester 22 single shot I have in the gun case. Dad bought it when he was a teenager in the 30's and he and his buddy modified (filed) the sear to get a faster smoother trigger action. Thing was and is seriously accurate. Trouble was that you never wanted to cock it until you were ready to shoot it as a bit of vibration could and sometimes did fire it. He gave it to me when I was 14 with me fully knowing it's issue and I never cocked it until I was aiming at a target. We were in the old Cogdell's gun store in the back of Cogdell's hardware in Waco when he went down to visit me when I lived there and asked about pieces for that rifle an the clerk opened up a big box with original parts for it. Brand new sear in the group that we bought on the spot and put in when we got back to my house.

Still on the jack stands, buying the ones made by a company known for selling top quality equipment rather than the place that is the cheapest is a lot better when your life or the lives of others depend on them.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
svr

Took 4 back yesterday, have 4 more 12 ton’s, looked them over looking for similar issues, they look just like the napa ones i have at my farm shop.