The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Pflugerman

Power steering bracket for inline 6

Hmmm seems to be a shortage of these. Anyone find a work around such as a mount for other engines that fits the chevy inline 6? Or have an idea of where I can find one of these critters?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: Power steering bracket for inline 6

They aren't that hard to find. Which 6 do you have? The small sixes are easier to find. They were used until the early to mid 80s. I had the main bracket for my 250 and was able to piece together a kit relatively fast. If you subscribe to the forum you can do a WTB and people would start flingin' P/S kits at you!
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
ole dollor

their is a guy on e-bay that sells a set up for our sixes, 250 and 292, I have one and it is well built, kinda pricey but good bracket. hope you find one...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
hugger6933

Not to knock anyone here out of a parts sale but there is a guy on E-bay that makes and sells brackets and they are pretty good. Just type in what you need and it will show up on the bay. Good luck with the search. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

When you find one make sure to get the pulleys.I know with the 250 there are at least 3 different set-ups.The alignment of the pulleys varies.Make sure you get all the pullies,brackets and hardware.If you disassemble it to clean and paint,make sure to note where the spacers on the bracket/pump belong.Make sure you get the pulleys that go with the brackets.There are some differences in Harmonic balancers but they usually can be overcome by use of the minor adjustments in the brackets/spacers and such.
I can't stress to get a complete set-up,enough.Matching stuff from an incomplete set can be a nightmare.

You can get the brackets,pullies and such from any six cyl car or truck.Novas,some impalas and trucks are the most likely to have a 250.If you have a 292 you'll have to find a set from one of them.292's only came in trucks.Any size truck can have the 292.I haven't seen the PS bracket they mentioned as avail on E-Bay but I have seen the A/C bracket from him and it is a stout unit with way more adjustability than you'll need.
Finally,brackets for the 292 are different from the 250,the 250 integrated head is different from the nonintegrated head 250.The integrated head 250 brackets can be used with some mods on the non integrated head engine,if you do a search there will be info on that.
One last thing,Make sure you get all the components from one donor or you will probably have a hard time getting your belt alignment right.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Pflugerman

Thanks for the information. I currently have a 250 nonintegrated inline 6. I have a 69 parts truck with a 396 and all the other bells and whistles such as power steering. Eventually the 396 will be rebuilt. The parts truck is rusted beyond repair otherwise. It seems I will need at least the 6 cylinder bracket and pulley to move the power steering over, right? What else is recommended?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflugerman View Post
Thanks for the information. I currently have a 250 nonintegrated inline 6. I have a 69 parts truck with a 396 and all the other bells and whistles such as power steering. Eventually the 396 will be rebuilt. The parts truck is rusted beyond repair otherwise. It seems I will need at least the 6 cylinder bracket and pulley to move the power steering over, right? What else is recommended?
Are you saying you just need the p.s. temporarily and then install the 396? If so, I would just put up with the manual steering until rebuilding the 396. If it's going to be a while before you do that, then re-read PanelDeland's post.

If you find a donor vehicle (car or truck) take everything from h. balancer forward including fan pulley, water pump pulley and all mounting brackets -maybe even the belts so you can measure for replacement. Otherwise you will be fighting alignment problems (experience here).

Keep in mind when looking that non integrated head brackets are different.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote