The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
DWX 9929

Yet another temp gauge question

‘71 c-10. Vortec 350. My temperature gauge was unhooked when I got it. Probably because of the different sending unit. Got the proper sender but haven’t started it yet. Gauge presently reads full hot even with the battery disconnected. Does this mean that the gauge is bad?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DWX 9929; 07-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
DWX 9929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
John H.

Re: Yet another temp gauge question

The gauge works by having 12 volt power to it and the sending unit is the ground. The more it grounds (gets hotter) the more the gauge moves to hot.

Without the battery on, the gauge can't work. If it pegs when power is on your are shorting (green wire connection) somewhere between the green wire on sending unit and the gauge.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
DWX 9929

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
The gauge works by having 12 volt power to it and the sending unit is the ground. The more it grounds (gets hotter) the more the gauge moves to hot.

Without the battery on, the gauge can't work. If it pegs when power is on your are shorting (green wire connection) somewhere between the green wire on sending unit and the gauge.
Yes, I know that. Problem is gauge is pegged with no power. I’m assuming that there’s a spring in the gauge to bring it back to cold?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
dmjlambert

I have a 1969 CST/10. With power removed the temperature gauge stays in whatever position it was when the engine was turned off. So usually my gauge is sitting a little left of center, where it was when I shut the truck off. If I come back later when the engine has cooled off, and start the truck or turn the headlights on, the gauge will swing to cold. If the green wire that goes to the sender is shorted to ground, the gauge will peg to hot. If power is removed by turning off the key and headlights, and then the green wire short to ground is removed, the gauge remains pegged on hot. When I start the truck or turn the headlights on, the gauge will move to whatever the current temperature of the engine is.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Try this,

Run a ground wire from the lower center stud on the temp gauge to a known good ground and see what happens.

Also, pull the green wire from the sending unit, turn the key on and see what happens. If the gauge goes back to cold, then the sender is bad. More time than not when the gauge pegs full, it is because the temp gauge itself is not grounded properly.

Keep us posted,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
DWX 9929

Gauge is working normally. Guess it does stay at the last position when key is turned off. Thanks for the input!
Posted via Mobile Device