The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
el_fantasma

Bumper bender

Someone rear ended me the other day. AAA sent me to one of their “direct repair network” shops. To my inexperienced eye it looks like the only damage was the bracket which holds the bumper to the frame. The adjuster said we may need to replace your bumper. I said that the aftermarket bumpers are cheap and would rather leave it as is.

Can’t you just remove the bumper, heat and bend the bracket and put the bumper back on? I know most shops don’t want to work on our old trucks but This seems like easy money.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: Bumper bender

Agree, damage looks minimal, and that's a nice bumper. The bumper appears to be twisted down a little on the driver's side. I'm not sure repairing the bracket will take the twist out.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Just wondering since you say its easy money, if insurance wasn't involved what would you be willing to pay out of pocket to fix said damage?

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #4
MP&C

Bumper straightener, bottom right in the picture...

Name:  IMG_4111.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  62.3 KB
Old 10-25-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
MARTINSR

Hold on here boys, that is very minor and there should be plenty of adjustment room in the bolt holes to loosen up those bolts and rotate the bumper till it's good and tighten the bolts back up.

I am thinking you can do this, easy peasy.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Just wondering since you say its easy money, if insurance wasn't involved what would you be willing to pay out of pocket to fix said damage?
I think maybe $200 max, my truck is a five-footer with plenty of blemishes.

The shop said the job would be $1200. I looked at the list of things and it's pretty involved including removing the trim pieces, brake lights, paint and side panel. The young man who helped me was half the age of my truck and knows nothing about them. I am thinking that all these items came from some computer program and used a newer truck profile. For example, there is two hours labor to repair the bumper cover which doesn't even exist. For fun, I attached it although it might be too small to read.

Anyway, I told "do not total my truck". The last thing I want is for AAA to just give me $1200 and keep my truck, which of course I have much more $$$ invested in it.

Thanks for your replies, I'll keep you posted.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by el_fantasma; 10-25-2017 at 12:13 PM.
el_fantasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
72HuggerK20

That may be the worst estimate I have ever seen for a pickup of that age. Is there body damage to the box side that isn't shown in the picture?

Why do they want to R/I parts that don't exist on that truck?

Some people...
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72HuggerK20 View Post
That may be the worst estimate I have ever seen for a pickup of that age. Is there body damage to the box side that isn't shown in the picture?

Why do they want to R/I parts that don't exist on that truck?

Some people...
Sure there’s some body damage but not from the accident. I’m thinking their computer estimating program only goes back 20 years so they just used something like a 1998 truck. I heard the estimator ask a coworker “how do I enter this VIN”? In a few days, some guy is going to be looking at that list and scratching his head. . .
Old 10-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
ACK

Does AAA require you to use their body shop? If you have a shop that you trust, see what they would charge. And if you haven't, discuss with your AAA agent, ask what they'll cover if you take it to the shop of your choice.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
Does AAA require you to use their body shop? If you have a shop that you trust, see what they would charge. And if you haven't, discuss with your AAA agent, ask what they'll cover if you take it to the shop of your choice.
That’s great advice but I already left it there. I expect a call next with them giving me some BS about why they haven’t started and or can’t do the work. Then I’ll go pick it up and drive in down to Rodz in San Carlos and show him the quote. He’s about 3 months out but there’s no rush.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
I know of no state where the insurance company can make you go to a particular shop. Heck, there is even laws against them "steering" you there with pressure. But I know of no where that you have to go to their shop. They will push it with all kinds of talk like "at this shop they have a life time warrantee from us you won't get if you don't go there." This is true but there are many shops with that lifetime warrantee no matter who pays for it, like where I work.

You go where you feel comfortable, period. It may take a few days longer because they have to send an estimator out where at their "direct" shops the shop writes an estimate and can start the repairs that day. That is about the only difference. If the shop finds more things wrong they still pay, it works the same at any quality shop.

We use to be direct with about 7 different insurance companies, it's now down to 3. We dropped a the 4 because they have us too many headaches. We now repair just about as many cars from them without the headaches because we make the rules now.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
el_fantasma

Thought I would close out this thread, Ghost is home, good as new. The adjuster said that they removed the bumper, bent the bracket and put the bumper back on. Final Bill was $918 - no paint or parts added, just labor. I guess everyone is happy, truck is fixed, final bill lower than the estimate and body shop made some money. I suppose this goes on all the time. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions.