The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
PackerBacker

Green Manalishi

Once upon a time I had a '70 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 350/THM400, LWB, Fleetside, wooden bed. It was in very good condition. Got her for $1000 in 1997. She was my first ever GM vehicle. I'd had Dodges and Fords, but this p/u converted me into a "Chevy Man". Due to drama and circumstance, I was forced to sell her less than a year after I got her (silver lining: doubled my money!), but the memory of her smooth ride and rock solid drive train never left me. Since then I've bought and sold three other trucks ('65 Chevy K20, '84 GMC C20, '96 GMC K3500) but none of them could live up to Ol' Coppertone.

Well, finally this past weekend, on our third date, I tied the knot with the "Green Manalishi". 1972 GMC "Super Custom 1500", 2WD, wideside long bed 402BB/THM400. She's a little rough around the edges, but the guy I got her from started pampering her before he decided he had too much on his plate. She came with new floor pans, rocker panels, and cab corners (which I have to learn how to put on her), new freshly installed Flowmasters with all new pipe, new body mounts all around, and a few other things her ex gave her. For now, she's going to be my daily driver, but I hope to be able to park her for the winter and start going through her. I've never done body work before, but I'm tooling up for it. Found this site a while back and thought I'd join up and reap the benefits of others' experience and knowledge. Greetings.

PS I'll be glad to pin up some pics of her if someone would instruct me on how to do so. I haven't seen a way to upload.
PackerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Wbrown

Re: Green Manalishi

Under post reply . Click advanced reply and it will let you upload them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
PackerBacker

Thanks for that, and here she is:
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
landarts
landarts

Sweet lookin truck! What are your plans?
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
PackerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
Sweet lookin truck! What are your plans?
Well, I'd like to go through the body and interior and get it all looking good, but before I start with all that I want to get her running optimally. Right now she's running hot and deiseling at shutoff. She idles way too high (like that when I bought her) and drinks gas bad. Any suggestions? She's not low on coolant, and the therm and pump seem to be okay.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
kyle87

check your timing, look for intake leaks, carb could probably use some attention also(ajustments)
kyle87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
PackerBacker

Thanks for all that. I turned the idle screw back a few turns and that helped tremendously. No deiseling and drinking significantly less gasoline.