The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
weider1717

Called ORD about their Alcan springs. Change of plans

First of all I would like to say that this expeirence was A+ Jesse I spoke with was very helpful but this may have changed my plans and looking for some insight.

If I go with ORD 4" or even their 2.5" springs I will need to swap out my rear shackle..

If I go 4" I will also need: extended brake lines, sway bar change? and typical drop pitman arm and if I move the axle 1" a longer drive shaft. Do you guys recommend moving it 1" with the 4" and 35's?? or stock location?

So as the list go more and more complex I wonder do all 4" kits require these changes on top of the knowns like drop pitman arm etc I wasn't aware of the rear shackle or a say bar change?

So, they have all my information but this may have changed me from 4" back to 2.5" which will still require their rear shackle change but I believe typical lift springs don't require a rear shackle change, correct?

The 2.5 kit all in all done was $2,419 and the 4" was $3,030 which leads me again to going to regular lift springs just due to it running more than I thought but I think that was shocks, u bolts and everything.

I believe I may be satisfied with tuff country 2" or 3" or skyjackers 2.5" and run 33's as I just want a bit beefier look. Has anyone ran both tuff country and skyjacker? Anyone want to comment on the ride quality of those two compared I looked before I couldn't find anyone who has ran both.

Thanks
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #2
nonstop

Re: Called ORD about their Alcan springs. Change of plans

I can only comment on bits and pieces. Never had ORD springs, but I would imagine you could substitute the rear shackles for lift blocks to save a few dollars (not too many though). I have had the rear drop shackles (amongst other products of theirs) and all the parts have been fantastic and very high quality. Not sure why they recommend the shackles flip over the blocks, BUT they are the pros at this and I would totally trust them and their kit.

As for extended brake lines - any 4 inch would need them (and now would be a good time to upgrade to braided lines as well). Drop pitman arm is the way to go, I’ve tried the raised steering arm and dropped drag link. The raised arm and drag link each had issues, but the dropped pitman arm solved those problems and is the right way to do it.

For the sway bay, there are different ways to be able to keep it, including drop brackets and disconnects.

Sorry I can’t help more, but hopefully I helped a little.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
44th Miss Inf

My truck has had a Pro Comp 2.5" lift on it for the last 20 years or so, and I'm happy with it. It does have lift blocks in the back though.

I'm running 33s on the truck

For those running 4" lift on the 73-87 the 88 up to roughly 94 brake hoses are 4 to 5" longer and a direct bolt on. Can be picked up at most any parts store and usually pretty reasonably priced
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
sweetk30

here is my list of what i would do for 33" tires fitment and ride .

3" tuff country front non hd if no plow / big block / winch bumper .
greaseable bushings kit and HD shackles.
sway bar disc kit for the correction of lift springs .
possible drop your brake lines down just a little to make them work fine or a hose kit for best results and firmer pedal .

rear if budget go block and u-bolt kit . basic bolt in and go item .
if you want a real good ride go 2.5": shackle flip kit . this will require a possible axle shim to correct pinion angle change .
if better ride for ether option above greaseable bushing kit . bit of work to get the old bushings out .
rear brake hose bracket can be bent down if need be for rear hose length to work stock , or the brake hose kit for best results and pedal feel .

here is a k301ton little tallerthan your k10 stock for stock . but this has a 3" lift and skinny 33" tires . this might be the look your after for little lift and fender gap overthe stock you have now .

as for shocks bilstien seem to be the super hot ticket for these trucks these days . i have done the math and played a bit and got decent results with monro yellow shocks from looking around at different applications but there not 100% bolt on require a tiny bit of work .

2-3" range can get away with no steering correction or do a raised arm for 3" -up lift or a 2.5" drop pitman arm on the steering box for 2.5" or less . but the drag link needs a little slop down to the axle from the box . to level or tilt the wrong way makes them steer funny . best to get it all in first and then see what angle your drag link is at to make a choice .

hope this helps and anymore questions just ask .
Attached Images

85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.

Last edited by sweetk30; 12-04-2018 at 01:02 PM.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by weider1717 View Post
First of all I would like to say that this expeirence was A+ Jesse I spoke with was very helpful but this may have changed my plans and looking for some insight.

If I go with ORD 4" or even their 2.5" springs I will need to swap out my rear shackle..

If I go 4" I will also need: extended brake lines, sway bar change? and typical drop pitman arm and if I move the axle 1" a longer drive shaft. Do you guys recommend moving it 1" with the 4" and 35's?? or stock location?

So as the list go more and more complex I wonder do all 4" kits require these changes on top of the knowns like drop pitman arm etc I wasn't aware of the rear shackle or a say bar change?

So, they have all my information but this may have changed me from 4" back to 2.5" which will still require their rear shackle change but I believe typical lift springs don't require a rear shackle change, correct?

The 2.5 kit all in all done was $2,419 and the 4" was $3,030 which leads me again to going to regular lift springs just due to it running more than I thought but I think that was shocks, u bolts and everything.

I believe I may be satisfied with tuff country 2" or 3" or skyjackers 2.5" and run 33's as I just want a bit beefier look. Has anyone ran both tuff country and skyjacker? Anyone want to comment on the ride quality of those two compared I looked before I couldn't find anyone who has ran both.

Thanks
I have the ORD 4" lift. (ordered the 2.5 but got the 4",it worked out)
No pitman ,sway bar or drive shaft changes needed. I went for there rear super shackles and front shackles w/poly bushings,also the U bolts. Had to get longer front shackles as the spring rode on the frame,but they sent me 1/2" longer ones for free and make sure you get the right length rear springs. I didn't and had to move the rear spring hangers back 4"(not fun). Lots of $$$. You may want to consider the Tuff Country or the skyjacker, if I did it again I would.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:34 AM   #6
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

The brother to yours...

https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/19...764274506.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
here is my list of what i would do for 33" tires fitment and ride .

3" tuff country front non hd if no plow / big block / winch bumper .
greaseable bushings kit and HD shackles.
sway bar disc kit for the correction of lift springs .
possible drop your brake lines down just a little to make them work fine or a hose kit for best results and firmer pedal .

rear if budget go block and u-bolt kit . basic bolt in and go item .
if you want a real good ride go 2.5": shackle flip kit . this will require a possible axle shim to correct pinion angle change .
if better ride for ether option above greaseable bushing kit . bit of work to get the old bushings out .
rear brake hose bracket can be bent down if need be for rear hose length to work stock , or the brake hose kit for best results and pedal feel .

here is a k301ton little tallerthan your k10 stock for stock . but this has a 3" lift and skinny 33" tires . this might be the look your after for little lift and fender gap overthe stock you have now .

as for shocks bilstien seem to be the super hot ticket for these trucks these days . i have done the math and played a bit and got decent results with monro yellow shocks from looking around at different applications but there not 100% bolt on require a tiny bit of work .

2-3" range can get away with no steering correction or do a raised arm for 3" -up lift or a 2.5" drop pitman arm on the steering box for 2.5" or less . but the drag link needs a little slop down to the axle from the box . to level or tilt the wrong way makes them steer funny . best to get it all in first and then see what angle your drag link is at to make a choice .

hope this helps and anymore questions just ask .
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
sweetk30

nice !
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
K25alive

I recently put a 4" Tuff Country lift on my 79 K25. Bought it from ORD. They really tried to sell me the rear shackle flip kit but I wasn't keen on removing all the shackle rivets and replacing with a bolt on shackle, and I think my exhaust pipes (behind the rear wheels) would of had to be re-routed. Plus, I did have experience with a 6" lift I put on a 83 K5 Blazer, it had rear blocks and never had a problem with them, owned it for 17 years after installed the lift. I did install their sway bar disconnect kit on the K25. The ride is fine I believe, same or better then before, on the E-Z ride springs. I run 34" Cooper M/T tires. If I was a serious wheeler those are probably too tall/wide and would rub the fenders eventually, but I stick to the paved roads mostly these days.
K25alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
K25alive

Oh yeah, and I did not need to extend/modify the drivelines.
K25alive is offline   Reply With Quote