The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
mcbassin
Still Learning

2004 Grand Prix blower motor???? GM Tech. help?

On the way home last night in our 2004 Grand Prix the blower motor for the a/c heater just quit. I have researched it a little on google but I'm still a little confused.
I have read where the control module or resistor will keep them from running but I removed it and have hooked up direct 12 volts from another car battery and it blows full blast.
I checked the connector with a DVM and it goes from about 10v when all the way down up to about 12.5 all the way up. It looks like there is voltage to the fan so I hate to spend $60 plus for the resistor or $50 plus for the fan only to find out its something else.
Any GM techs. mind helping me diagnose further before buying parts? thanks
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
72chevyk10
I built it

Re: 2004 Grand Prix blower motor???? GM Tech. help?

may be a dumb question and i dont really know about it, but have you checked the fuses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
mcbassin
Still Learning

Well, since I'm getting 12 volts at the plug
I really didn't see any need to check it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

If your getting voltage to the fan motor make sure it's getting a good ground....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
If your getting voltage to the fan motor make sure it's getting a good ground....
I'm not sure how to check that since the housing is plastic and I think it pulls the ground from the connector? If there is a seperate ground I couldn't find it. I looked thinking the same thing.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
hayhauler71

. Check voltage on the Gray/Black wire at the blower control module, check for 8 volts on high blower speed and about 2 volts on low speed . If it is OK, check the B+ on the Red wire and ground. Before replacing the blower module, amp draw the blower motor. The blower motor should draw less than 15 amps running on the Black wire. If all this is good, then the blower module needs to be replaced
Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
. Check voltage on the Gray/Black wire at the blower control module, check for 8 volts on high blower speed and about 2 volts on low speed .
I checked the voltage on the gray/black wire here are the results:
with the knob all the way down 5.38 volts as I turned it up the voltage dropped to 1.34.
Does the fan need to be connected? It wasn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
If it is OK, check the B+ on the Red wire and ground. Before replacing the blower module, amp draw the blower motor. The blower motor should draw less than 15 amps running on the Black wire. If all this is good, then the blower module needs to be replaced
Not sure what the B+ is? I checked the voltage from the Red wire to ground and it was 11.95 and when I switched the knob it stayed the same.
I don't have an amp probe or amp meter to get the load amperage?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
mcbassin
Still Learning

What baffles me, If there is 12+/- volts going to the fan, why wouldn't it run? Do they work different from a standard 12 volt lamp or similar device?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

current flow;
battery, fuse, fan motor, resistor(or module if you have auto temp control), switch, ground.

if the fan is totally inop I usually find either a bad motor (tap with hammer handle to diagnose while on high) or melted connections at resistor.

if fan quit on only one or 2 speeds I usually find a bad resistor
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
current flow;
battery, fuse, fan motor, resistor(or module if you have auto temp control), switch, ground.

if the fan is totally inop I usually find either a bad motor (tap with hammer handle to diagnose while on high) or melted connections at resistor.

if fan quit on only one or 2 speeds I usually find a bad resistor
So, just plug the fan in turn it on high and hit with a small hammer on the side? It will work intermittendly? If so, replace the fan? It will work when I connect it directly to a battery.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
fine69

If you pull your resistor out you will be able to tell if it is bad.

I have replaced plenty of them. And there is always a burnt spot on the resistor.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If you pull your resistor out you will be able to tell if it is bad.

I have replaced plenty of them. And there is always a burnt spot on the resistor.
I think that thing is riveted in? Just drill those out to remove it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #13

in the last year or so what i have seen is on the early 2000 car/truck is the the resistor burns and when it is replaced it will normal run the year and burn out a gain. this seems due to the blower on the way out. the blower will run but is pulling slightly higher amps than the factory specks. so to fix the proper way is a resistor and blower motor at the same time. i think they have to step up and builid a better resitor. in the older cars what has been said it what i have found to work.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
GruntMoanCough

I replaced the resistor on my '02 Grand Prix and within 6 months (of kicking the heater box ), the motor stopped all together. It's all good now.

IIRC, the resistor was held in with 3 hex head screws (7mm?)
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #15
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 463 View Post
in the last year or so what i have seen is on the early 2000 car/truck is the the resistor burns and when it is replaced it will normal run the year and burn out a gain. this seems due to the blower on the way out. the blower will run but is pulling slightly higher amps than the factory specks. so to fix the proper way is a resistor and blower motor at the same time. i think they have to step up and builid a better resitor. in the older cars what has been said it what i have found to work.
Well,
after reading this, I just ordered a new fan and resistor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntMoanCough View Post
I replaced the resistor on my '02 Grand Prix and within 6 months (of kicking the heater box ), the motor stopped all together. It's all good now.

Man, I would swear this thing is held in with rivets? I will check it out when I get the parts. I quit driving this car this week since the temp is in the 20s to 30s.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntMoanCough View Post

there is 3, they take a 5.5mm
you will need a swivel socket to get to the one by firewall. here's a tip, that one at front is a bit**. use a utility knife and cut away some of the firewall sound insulation
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
there is 3, they take a 5.5mm
you will need a swivel socket to get to the one by firewall. here's a tip, that one at front is a bit**. use a utility knife and cut away some of the firewall sound insulation
Tell me I ordered the right part? I thought this is the resistor. It doesn't have screws. I guess these have to be drilled out?
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

that looks like a blower control module. it serves the same purpose as a resistor. the HVAC computer sends a pulse width modulated signal to turn on and off a solid state switch which in turn controls blower speed.

red is ign. power, black is ground, gray is control signal, purple is blower power while the black next to it is blower ground.

borrowed from hayhauler post; Check voltage on the Gray/Black wire at the blower control module, check for 8 volts on high blower speed and about 2 volts on low speed . If it is OK, check the B+ on the Red wire and ground. Before replacing the blower module, amp draw the blower motor. The blower motor should draw less than 15 amps running on the Black wire. If all this is good, then the blower module needs to be replaced

when replacing module you remove the heads of rivets and install new unit with screws in the other holes visible in picture. they do it that way as it's quicker on the assembly line than using screws.

I should add that this design of blower control has a shorter life span that a resistor and is a common failure item. the large transistor inside gets overheated and the molecular structure of the emitter blows in the same manner as a fuse. a new blower motor would be a good idea to prevent premature failure of new module.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #19
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
that looks like a blower control module. it serves the same purpose as a resistor. the HVAC computer sends a pulse width modulated signal to turn on and off a solid state switch which in turn controls blower speed.

red is ign. power, black is ground, gray is control signal, purple is blower power while the black next to it is blower ground.

borrowed from hayhauler post; Check voltage on the Gray/Black wire at the blower control module, check for 8 volts on high blower speed and about 2 volts on low speed . If it is OK, check the B+ on the Red wire and ground. Before replacing the blower module, amp draw the blower motor. The blower motor should draw less than 15 amps running on the Black wire. If all this is good, then the blower module needs to be replaced

when replacing module you remove the heads of rivets and install new unit with screws in the other holes visible in picture. they do it that way as it's quicker on the assembly line than using screws.

I should add that this design of blower control has a shorter life span that a resistor and is a common failure item. the large transistor inside gets overheated and the molecular structure of the emitter blows in the same manner as a fuse. a new blower motor would be a good idea to prevent premature failure of new module.
I really don't know what you guys are talking about "B+" on the red wire?
I did the rest of the volt meter test results above.

I have already ordered a new blower and module/resistor so when I get those parts in I'm just going to replace both. I was hoping to avoid the high price of replacing both but after reading what you fellows wrote it's just insurance that we won't have to mess with it for another 7 years.......... hopefully
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #20
mcbassin
Still Learning

Here's another weird thing. I had a quick errand to run last night so I thought I'll just take the GP. Well, we got a few miles down the road and decided it was a bad idea without the blower motor installed. It just blew icy air into the cabin. I stopped at a gas station and stuck the fan back in to fill the hole. I thought well I might well stick the plug in for kicks. It fired right up? It was pretty loud right down there by it, so the fan is more than likely toast but it has been working flawless since I put it back in last night.

When I get the new fan, you guys think I should still replace the fan and controller??