The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
Pontitruck

Help with Wiring Alternator etc.

Hi guys,

I bought a 65 LS project that had zero wiring run when I bought it. It came with an American Autowire kit which I have been running. What I'm wondering is if the way I have it mocked up now will work.

I've ran a 6 ga Alt wire to the battery thru a 200amp fuse, and a 10 ga Alt wire to AAW connector where solenoid wire goes to the harness (purple) and a Battery positive run through a 200 amp fuse to solenoid.

Thanks
Attached Images

Pontitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:52 AM   #2
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Re: Help with Wiring Alternator etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontitruck View Post
Hi guys,

I bought a 65 LS project that had zero wiring run when I bought it. It came with an American Autowire kit which I have been running. What I'm wondering is if the way I have it mocked up now will work.

I've ran a 6 ga Alt wire to the battery thru a 200amp fuse, and a 10 ga Alt wire to AAW connector where solenoid wire goes to the harness (purple) and a Battery positive run through a 200 amp fuse to solenoid.

Thanks
Why would you put a 200a fuse on a 6ga wire that cannot carry 1/2 that. Mine as well not have a fuse at all since the wire will melt and catch fire before the fuse will pop. I'd swap in something more practical like a 70a.

Prob do a Google search on amp and 6ga wire

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:13 AM   #3
sprint_9

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks
So your two wires coming off the battery, one of them a 6 gauge goes to the alternator and is fused at 200 amps. The other goes to the starter and is also fused at 200 amps? What gauge is the stater wire from the battery, how long is it?

200 amps can be used on a 6 gauge wire, but only if the length is at or below 3.5 ft. Im guessing you are over that? If you are then you need to reduce the fuse size or upsize the wire. How many amp alternator are you running?

Wire length has to be known as it is directly proportional to how many amps you can run on it safely. On high amp stuff like an alternator I like to calculate with a 2% voltage drop to have a layer of safety.

I personally would probably run the AAW 10 gauge wire down to the starter and keep it off the top of the engine while also being able to loom it together with the purple solenoid wire.

http://www.offroaders.com/technical/...gauge-to-amps/
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Pontitruck

Sorry guys, my description did not come across as planned. My positive battery cable is 4ga thru the 200 amp fuse to the starter solenoid and my wire from my Alternator to the battery (instead of going to the starter is 6ga thru a separate 200 amp fuse that is about 3-3.5' long. Maybe I should change this to 150 amp fuse as that is what the Alternator is?

The other question was about the 10ga feed to the AAW connector with the solenoid, should it be fused and is it ok going from the back of the Alternator to that connector?

Thanks

Last edited by Pontitruck; 11-09-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
sprint_9

You should have a fuse on the 10 ga AAW feed. You can use a fuse or in my AAW kit it included a fusible link, which is what I used.

I wouldn't use a fusible link on the top of the motor though.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
Pontitruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
You should have a fuse on the 10 ga AAW feed. You can use a fuse or in my AAW kit it included a fusible link, which is what I used.

I wouldn't use a fusible link on the top of the motor though.
Thanks for the reply. I made a wire for the AAW with the 10ga fusible link wire today. Sound like I shouldn’t have???
Old 11-10-2019, 12:54 AM   #7
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I made a wire for the AAW with the 10ga fusible link wire today. Sound like I shouldn’t have???
Fusible links are for show ..like original gonna get points deducted.. regular fuses are better for any vehicle that's gonna be used as a vehicle. When you pop a fuseable link... and your on the road.. what are you gonna do, rig it to get to where you need to go. A fuse would be better

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Pontitruck

My truck will be a driver, my wife has claimed it. I'll switch it over to a fuse, but what size?
Will the way I've wired this without going to the solenoid be ok? I don't understand why GM went from the alternator to the solenoid in the first place.