The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
67gmcstepside

new drag link install ??

I just recieved my new adjustable steering drag link and not sure if the smaller drag link goes to the pitman arm on the steering box or to the axle.

Second. I assume that I center the front tires equal front and back and tighten down the adjustments then center the steering box with equal turns right and left the adjust the drag link accordingly and bolt her on??

Thanks

Last edited by 67gmcstepside; 11-19-2010 at 08:56 AM.
67gmcstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: new drag link install ??

I don't recall there being a difference in the tapers of the joints? So it really shouldn't matter...

As far as the tie-rod adjustment, you need some "toe in", meaning that the front measurement should be slightly smaller than the rear. Depending up the tire diameter, about 1/8" or so is good.
Centering the steering wheel usually takes a few road tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
67gmcstepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair View Post
i don't recall there being a difference in the tapers of the joints? So it really shouldn't matter...

As far as the tie-rod adjustment, you need some "toe in", meaning that the front measurement should be slightly smaller than the rear. Depending up the tire diameter, about 1/8" or so is good.
thank you!!!
67gmcstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I don't recall there being a difference in the tapers of the joints? So it really shouldn't matter...

I'm not disagreeing but I've been taught 1/16" or so of toe out is better for cornering and overall tire performance. In a corner, the inside will be pulling the front end instead of fighting the outside tire. Maybe this is mainly in car/racecar setups. I've learned it from a long time circle track driver/car builder. We've got aluminum toe plates that after caster and camber is set with the gauge we set toe then check caster/camber again.

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by propanemudtruck View Post
I'm not disagreeing but I've been taught 1/16" or so of toe out is better for cornering and overall tire performance.
Normal steering linkage geometry is designed to give you "automatic" toe out as you turn the wheels to either side of straight ahead. The standard toe setting will usually gve the best results for real world driving. Circle track racing is a special case with a very asymmetric setup, especially as regards camber.

Ray