The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #151
0331grunt
Now what??

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Looks good. My little garage was still only about 40*... my little 1500 watt electric heater isn't much.. but hey, isn't that what it is all about! I'll have to come check yours out when I make it to my dads this spring. Gonna be driving by then?

"The quality of a persons life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." ~ Vince Lombardi

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic, it takes sweat, determination and hard work." ~ Colin Powell

my, um, build

USMC OIF Veteran SEMPER FI!
0331grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #152
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331grunt View Post
Looks good. My little garage was still only about 40*... my little 1500 watt electric heater isn't much.. but hey, isn't that what it is all about! I'll have to come check yours out when I make it to my dads this spring. Gonna be driving by then?
Yep, that's what it's all about.....freezing your buns off to work on your project. Done by spring? Good question....doubt it unless I have a windfall of epic size. The biggest hold up right now is buying the parts to build the chassis. You know how it is when you have to build on no budget.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #153
scotts62
One day...

Yeah i hear you there... sucks too

Least yours is in the shop, my crew ive been working on is in front of the shop and i have a S10 in the shop im working on painting..
We have central heat in our shop that works really good but we ran out of propane Christmas Eve so it doesnt work so well right now now were waiting on our present of propane to show up if the trucks can make it out

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #154
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Yeah i hear you there... sucks too

Least yours is in the shop, my crew ive been working on is in front of the shop and i have a S10 in the shop im working on painting..
We have central heat in our shop that works really good but we ran out of propane Christmas Eve so it doesnt work so well right now now were waiting on our present of propane to show up if the trucks can make it out
Yep mine is in the shop where you can see your breath. But, I have no heat so you have me there. Hope you get your propane quickly.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #155
mcbassin
Still Learning

Okay, made small progress this evening. Found a little rust on the lower pillar, so I cut it out and made a patch and welded it in. I also cleaned out behind the pillar and rust conversion primered too. Then fitted the rocker panel and tacked it in. I haven't installed any rockers in a long time, but it seems to me they are still using the same tooling to stamp these things. These aftermarket parts fit like crap! I had to cut this side to get it to fit and both side will need some more massaging when I get ready for body work. Still need to check the fitment with the driver side door before welding it solid. I got my copper weld through primer recommended by Nuke. It seems to work great!

Found some rust holes in the lower pillar.

Cut out the section

Made a patch.

Welded the patch.

Welds ground smooth

Copper weld through primer.

Fitting the panel.

Panel tacked in place.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #156
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

looks good, keep at it....

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #157
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Thanks for the copper primer info. Where did ya get it and how much was it?
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #158
0331grunt
Now what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
Looking good. I have NEVER done any type of body work so I'm sure I'll need some advice, help or whatever when it comes time. And where did you get that stuff? Does it work well? Thanks!

"The quality of a persons life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." ~ Vince Lombardi

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic, it takes sweat, determination and hard work." ~ Colin Powell

my, um, build

Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #159
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
looks good, keep at it....
Thanks Heath, I went back and looked at your 67 build and saw that you had a bunch more of the same type of rust repair that I am doing. Your turned out great! when you going to have that truck back on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331grunt View Post
Looking good. I have NEVER done any type of body work so I'm sure I'll need some advice, help or whatever when it comes time. And where did you get that stuff? Does it work well? Thanks!
Guys,
I purchased the primer HERE. It is expensive $23 plus $11.95 shipping.(I didn't know the shipping was so high till I checked out.) You can find it on the net real easy just searching. SJ ships really quick so I had it in like 3 or 4 business days.
It works really good! I will be using it on all the hidden areas I can't get regular epoxy primer into.

0331Grunt, don't sweat the body work, bondo covers all that! Just messing with you. If you take your time (not as much as me) it will all go smooth. Also, just stay in the build section and find out as much as you can about the best way to do repairs. I will be glad to assist you if I can.

Last edited by mcbassin; 12-31-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #160
0331grunt
Now what??

LOL.. I understand about the Bondo stuff - spent about an hour scraping/grinding/sanding about 1/4" of it off my driver fender! I am taking my time and hope that it turns out like I see it in my mind (if you can dream it, right? ) But any way, thanks for the info and I may take you up on the offer to help..

Craig

my, um, build

Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #161
1sik52
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Yep mine is in the shop where you can see your breath. But, I have no heat so you have me there. Hope you get your propane quickly.
I must say, its nice to live in the south! Im working in 45-55* weather! LOL! Just had to rub it in a lil!
Your build is coming along nicely
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #162
brian69longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik52 View Post
I must say, its nice to live in the south! Im working in 45-55* weather! LOL! Just had to rub it in a lil!
its not to bad here 60's to 70's. we live close to the mountains
|__(O)______(O)]

My build thread:
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=354115

Last edited by brian69longbed; 12-29-2009 at 03:38 PM.
brian69longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #163
jojo
printing is my trade

looking good mister!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #164
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik52 View Post
Thanks for the jab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian69longbed View Post
its not to bad here 60's to 70's. we live close to the mountains
Your killing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
looking good mister!
Thanks Jojo!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #165
mcbassin
Still Learning

Small Update:
I was able to spend a few hours over the long weekend on the cab. I finished the driver side rocker. You can probably see the miss fitment on both sides where the rocker meets the back side of the cab. I'm not sure how I am going to fix this yet, more than likely have to cut it and push the metal out and reweld.(LMC rockers don't fit the best) I then started back on the firewall. I tried 2 times to cut the metal to do an angled detail on the top wire channel. Both times I cut the radius piece wrong and it would fit right so I ended up cutting it off and throwing it to scrap. I'm either going to have to get some thicker sheetmetal (20-18 gauge?) The 22 gauge I'm working with is too thin and wants to warp to easy. Looked like crap! I may just scrap the whole idea for now. I'm ready to move on! I then started filling some more of the holes that won't be used on the firewall. Here are the pics:

Checking the driver rocker fit with a door:

Finished welding the rocker and ground the welds smooth.

Rocker panel primered

Prepping to fill holes

Plugs welded in place

Ready for primer
Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #166
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good. Now you see why I had someone else do the firewall and welding

He uses the shrinker to make the metal bend properly. Without it I'm sure it'd be almost impossible to get the radius on the angles correct.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #167
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking good. Now you see why I had someone else do the firewall and welding

He uses the shrinker to make the metal bend properly. Without it I'm sure it'd be almost impossible to get the radius on the angles correct.
Unfortunately, there are no funds to pay someone on this job
I think I could do a lot better job if I had a co2 bottle for my mig. One of the biggest problems I'm have is the tig has to get pretty hot before you can make a tack weld. Plus not have my kid home during the holiday to hold it in place while I tack it. I think it would defintely be easier with a roller too. I have thinking about getting one for my shop at work. You know one of those 3 in 1 metal workers that harbor freight has for around $450.Here It will suck trying to get the bend just right and then fitting it at home but I might be able to borrow it for the weekend.
your cab is getting pretty close to Johathon!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #168
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Doing a great job Mike......I use some flat magnets to hold down filler pieces of sheet metal while I tack them on.
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #169
jojo
printing is my trade

Man you are doing good work there.

I hope to start repairing my rocker panels soon.

Since mine's a daily driver, I will have to do one at a time and have everything done in a weekend and have it ready to drive by mondays...

How long would you say it took you to do one rocker panel?

Also, if you could do it again, would you get the rockers from another vendor? I'm guessing none of them would fit perfectly but have no experience to speak of.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #170
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Doing a great job Mike......I use some flat magnets to hold down filler pieces of sheet metal while I tack them on.
Thanks Jhonny! Yep, the magnets give me an extra pair of hands. You just have to keep your tig torch away from the magnetic field....it will mess up your welds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Man you are doing good work there.

I hope to start repairing my rocker panels soon.

Since mine's a daily driver, I will have to do one at a time and have everything done in a weekend and have it ready to drive by mondays...

How long would you say it took you to do one rocker panel?

Also, if you could do it again, would you get the rockers from another vendor? I'm guessing none of them would fit perfectly but have no experience to speak of.
Thanks JoJo! If you haven't done rocker replacement before you will need to plan on spending the better part of a day to replace each side. If it is an GM original rocker it seems to go easier than one someone replaced. The reason I say that, you can just track down all the spot welds and drill through the outer layer then pop it off a little at a time. If it has been replaced, it can be very difficult to find the welds...just have to cut it off and grind the welds down. More often than not if the rocker is shot there will be more rust behind there either on the lower pillar or kick panel. As far as the repop rockers, I don't know? I have never purchased any of them but the cheaper ones and the fitment sucks on all of them. I bet Kevin at LFD could tell you where to get some better fitting ones. Of course, if you can find some new old stock ones they would probably fit the best. The worst area is where the back edge meets the cab. Its almost like they made them short. Around 1/8 inch which is too much for me to use filler. I will end up cutting the back area and rewelding the edge on both sides. You really need to plan some time to cut off the old one , clean all the welds, remove rust with a wire wheel or sandblaster (if you have one), use some type of rust conversion primer and then tack it, check fit of the door, then weld up and grind welds, primer paint. If you need any help send a PM or email. I would be more than happy to help.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #171
JohnC

It's looking good Mike.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #172
threeonthetree

Great job on the rust reapair. and filling the firewall!
Like the primer tip.
keep a her.

haha l spotted a old honda dirt bike from the 80's in one of your pics what is it?
got a pic lol?

1969 c10 AKA SIN

1985 SSWB TRAZER
(super short wheel base)
threeonthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #173
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

hopefully be on the road soon, but need to save up for the Ron Francis wiring kit etc. . the easiest way to fix the back of the rocker is as you state, pie cut it, move it out and then patch the piecut and weld it all up. keep at it Mike

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470

Last edited by my67chevytruck; 01-04-2010 at 10:10 AM.
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #174
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
It's looking good Mike.
Thanks John!
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeonthetree View Post
Great job on the rust reapair. and filling the firewall!
Like the primer tip.
keep a her.

haha l spotted a old honda dirt bike from the 80's in one of your pics what is it?
got a pic lol?
Not sure what model it is I think its a 60cc? Picked it up at a yard sale. I can take some pics. Maybe you can tell me what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
hopefully be on the road soon, but need to save up for the Ron Francis wiring kit etc. . the easiest way to fix the back of the rocker is as you state, pie cut it, move it out and then patch the piecut and weld it all up. keep at it Mike
Heath,
Do you have any pics or know where I can get some pics of this "pie cut" technique? Also, you want to tell me about the Ron Francis wiring kit? Is it OEM style or aftermarket using different fuses etc.? Cost? Right now I am planning to use a good factory harness in the cab and for the lights but make a custom harness for the LS 4.8 engine.

Last edited by mcbassin; 01-04-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #175
0331grunt
Now what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Also, you want to tell me about the Ron Francis wiring kit? Is it OEM style or aftermarket using different fuses etc.? Cost?
I'd like to know, too...

my, um, build