The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
BenC/10

Cpp brake line kit blues!

Hey guys, im currently in the process of doing the disc brake conversion on my 70 c10, i ordered new brake lines from cpp, specifically part #6770flk..my question or concern is that now that i tried to throw them on, it seems like they are no where near the same as the originals (bend wise)..anybody else can chime in on this?? They're supposed to go in the original location right?
BenC/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Aaronpetty82

Re: Cpp brake line kit blues!

I have installed serveral of these kits, seems as if the lines get bent in shipping I always just bend them and make them fit in the factory clamps
Old 12-09-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
BenC/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronpetty82 View Post
I have installed serveral of these kits, seems as if the lines get bent in shipping I always just bend them and make them fit in the factory clamps
Cool! Thanks! Ill try and mess with it some more, after finals week of school!...another thing, i should probly loosen my headers right? They seem to get in the way, especially on the passenger side!!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Aaronpetty82

Yeah, I would remove/loosen anything that will interfere with the lines
Old 12-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
catch2otwo

Mine don't fit quite right either. I'm in the middle of install. My front lines end up being too long and don't line up with where the rubber hose connects to the spring hat.

Another issue I'm having is the flare fitting on the end of the front line is not the dame size as the rubber line. Lame product. Won't be buying anything else from them
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
BenC/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
Mine don't fit quite right either. I'm in the middle of install. My front lines end up being too long and don't line up with where the rubber hose connects to the spring hat.

Another issue I'm having is the flare fitting on the end of the front line is not the dame size as the rubber line. Lame product. Won't be buying anything else from them
Hmmm so im not the only one!! Mine are the same! The bends are no where near the same, and the ends arent the same either lol...what year rubber hose are you using btw? I think i bought 71 or 72 year hoses, cuz they dont sell disc brake hoses for 70's??....so far very unimpressed with the quality of this product!, i dont even feel like working on it anymore!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
CUSTOM/10

It seems like lots of people have issues with the pre-bent lines, but I would have to say your biggest issue most likely is you ordered 71-72 lines for a 70 truck. There can be slight differences in the routing of the lines, fitting sizes, and such for ea. yr truck. Additionally your truck was drum brakes & your converting to disc. These pre-bent kits work best with totally stock trucks and you order for that specific yr truck. And they still have issues, some issues may stem from mid yr changes at the factory.

I have always bent my own, then if they don't fit I have no-one to blame but myself.... "LOL"

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
GMC Canuck

Do the brake lines run infront of or behind the crossmember?
I could be wrong but I think disc brakes run infront of the crossmember and drum run behind the crossmember.
GMC Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
BenC/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
It seems like lots of people have issues with the pre-bent lines, but I would have to say your biggest issue most likely is you ordered 71-72 lines for a 70 truck. There can be slight differences in the routing of the lines, fitting sizes, and such for ea. yr truck. Additionally your truck was drum brakes & your converting to disc. These pre-bent kits work best with totally stock trucks and you order for that specific yr truck. And they still have issues, some issues may stem from mid yr changes at the factory.

I have always bent my own, then if they don't fit I have no-one to blame but myself.... "LOL"

Gary
Here's a pic of what i ordered from them, they claim the kit is made for my year? I now know that there is a difference in the brake hoses, so maybe i can buy some adapter for it work?
@gmc canuck, my lines run from behind the crossmember
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
CUSTOM/10

Well hopefully you can get it sorted out, maybe just a bit of tweeking the lines this way and that, and some adpter fittings. You may also want to contact the vendor and see what the say ! I've read several threads on this site about similar issues with prebent lines, but then others have had no problems. My trucks have always been modified in some way, so I always bent my own.

Good Luck !
Gary

My 72 SWB Build
Old 12-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
BenC/10

Quote:
Well hopefully you can get it sorted out, maybe just a bit of tweeking the lines this way and that, and some adpter fittings. You may also want to contact the vendor and see what the say ! I've read several threads on this site about similar issues with prebent lines, but then others have had no problems. My trucks have always been modified in some way, so I always bent my own.

Good Luck !
Gary
Ha! Thanks gary! I email'd them just know...Ill try and get at it some more today
Old 12-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
catch2otwo

I have the same kit as pictured above but in stainless. The lines run behind the cross member. I specified to them I was doing a disc brake conversion using 73+ calipers. My hard line fittings dont thread into the rubber lines. I had to go buy adapter fittings from a local hydraulic shop. Doesn't solve my issue of having the lateral line being too long. I will have to bend them up then back down. Defeats the purpose of buying a pre-bent kit.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
BenC/10

Quote:
I have the same kit as pictured above but in stainless. The lines run behind the cross member. I specified to them I was doing a disc brake conversion using 73+ calipers. My hard line fittings dont thread into the rubber lines. I had to go buy adapter fittings from a local hydraulic shop. Doesn't solve my issue of having the lateral line being too long. I will have to bend them up then back down. Defeats the purpose of buying a pre-bent kit.
Haha i know so much for being "easy" ill have to mess with that too, and i have to figure out what size adapter to use for mine as well, im using 72" calipers
Old 12-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #14
fast&low

Cool Re: Cpp brake line kit blues!

Hello guys
These lines don't fit like factory lines because there not there exactly what they state they are (convertion ) lines & I hope I'm not coming out sounding like a smart ass I just don't know how else to say it?
So please no disrespect intended.
I have done 3 of these kits already so now it's pretty easy for me but at first I also had problems so I understand how you guys feel.
And the brake hoses do require adapter fittings why they are not included in the kit or why they don't tell you this when ordering the kit is beyond me?
I just know on every kit I have ordered since the first I have had to ask & I have ordered it so that I have them with the brake kit.
What I did the first time because I didn't want to wait on shipping or pay for shipping on a small item I just called them & asked what sizes I needed & just bought them at the local parts house.
Hope this helps guys & happy holidays
CPP is a good parts provider I just think there salesmen need to do a better job or need more training.
fast&low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:13 AM   #15
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&low View Post
CPP is a good parts provider I just think there salesmen need to do a better job or need more training.
Yup.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #16
BenC/10

Nah, no worries fast&low thanks for chiming in!...i agree cpp does make good products i have their drop springs and spindles installed... Im curious to know if you remember what size adapters you used for the hoses, or maybe you can tell me what size i need for 72 rubber hoses??
Thanks again, and happy holidays
Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
fast&low

I wish I did buddy but I did mine 3 years ago & all my kits where on different vehicles so very different from each other.
The 1st was my 69 Olds Cutlass.
The 2nd was my 64 Chevy Chevelle
The 3rd was my 69 C10 fleet side.
But if you call them & tell them what kit you have they'll be able to tell you right away & also I believe the driver side hard line is very short remove it & take it with you along with your brake hose so the guy at the parts store knows what your talking about & to make sure you get the right size.
Good luck
Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #18
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&low View Post
Hello guys
These lines don't fit like factory lines because there not there exactly what they state they are (convertion ) lines & I hope I'm not coming out sounding like a smart ass I just don't know how else to say it?
So please no disrespect intended.
I have done 3 of these kits already so now it's pretty easy for me but at first I also had problems so I understand how you guys feel.
And the brake hoses do require adapter fittings why they are not included in the kit or why they don't tell you this when ordering the kit is beyond me?
I just know on every kit I have ordered since the first I have had to ask & I have ordered it so that I have them with the brake kit.
What I did the first time because I didn't want to wait on shipping or pay for shipping on a small item I just called them & asked what sizes I needed & just bought them at the local parts house.
Hope this helps guys & happy holidays
I'm not against doing the work, its just what is advertised makes you think you're getting something thats "bolt it." My lines are just close enough that they could be bolt in but they are just off enough to not be which makes it slightly frustrating.

I wrote a complaint letter to them about the fittings. Its not an expensive part but for me to run around to two different part stores and then finally getting a lead on a local hydraulic/hose shop is a waste of my time when they should have just been in the kit. I paid under 10 bucks for both fittings so for CPP it would cost them peanuts to include them into the kit. Time is money and you'll never get it back. The older I get the more I value my time. The product quality looks great so far, just the lack of instruction and things like this turn me away as a potential customer on my next go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC/10 View Post
Nah, no worries fast&low thanks for chiming in!...i agree cpp does make good products i have their drop springs and spindles installed... Im curious to know if you remember what size adapters you used for the hoses, or maybe you can tell me what size i need for 72 rubber hoses??
Thanks again, and happy holidays
I would skip the autozone. yelp or google the nearest hydraulic line and hose shop and just take your hard line and brake hose in and have the guy match em up for you. Took the guy here all of about 3 seconds to know what size they were just eyeballing them. Good luck, Im looking forward to finishing up my lines.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #19
BenC/10

Quote:
I'm not against doing the work, its just what is advertised makes you think you're getting something thats "bolt it." My lines are just close enough that they could be bolt in but they are just off enough to not be which makes it slightly frustrating.

I wrote a complaint letter to them about the fittings. Its not an expensive part but for me to run around to two different part stores and then finally getting a lead on a local hydraulic/hose shop is a waste of my time when they should have just been in the kit. I paid under 10 bucks for both fittings so for CPP it would cost them peanuts to include them into the kit. Time is money and you'll never get it back. The older I get the more I value my time. The product quality looks great so far, just the lack of instruction and things like this turn me away as a potential customer on my next go around.

I would skip the autozone. yelp or google the nearest hydraulic line and hose shop and just take your hard line and brake hose in and have the guy match em up for you. Took the guy here all of about 3 seconds to know what size they were just eyeballing them. Good luck, Im looking forward to finishing up my lines.
Little update, i went to oreilly and found the adapter...i still have to mess with the lines some, so everything lines up
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #20
fast&low

Glad to hear you got her going
Old 12-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #21
BarryV

Quote:

Good Luck !
Gary
Hi Gary,

Can you describe how you bend your own brake lines? What tools are needed, type of tubing used, and fittings?

I am asking because I don't need a whole new set of lines, but only a few sections (esp ends) where things broke on disassembly. Looking atmy different options.

Thanks

Barry
BarryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #22
CUSTOM/10

Hey Barry !

I use stainless steel, but even the annealed ss is tough to work with unless you have really good tools, especially the double flaring tool ( Hydraulic works best with SS )! Regular mild steel isn't bad to work with, or there's some relatively new tubing that has copper & nickel ( I believe ) that I've heard is easy to work with. You can get all the tubing & fittings from Summit Racing or Inline Tube.
If you’re not working with SS you can get some 1/2 way descent tools and be fine: Tubing cutter, benders and a 45 deg double flaring tool set. If you get into AN fittings there 37 deg, but stock stuff is 45. You can buy an assortment of fittings, and get some extra tubing so you can practice before doing your lines. If you decide to go the route I'll see if I can put together some pics and instructions to help get you started. Price out your tools, tubing and fittings first and see if it's worth your while getting into it.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
Old 12-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #23
BarryV

Thanks Gary!

Another reason I love this place ... the above response. Very thorough!

Can you give me a back-of-the-envelope cost to get minimal tools and redo the WHOLE truck (C10 SWB). NOT in SS though, just something equivalent to OEM.

The good news is that *most* of the original tubing is intact, so I may be able to get away with some splices and a few feet of tubing. OTOH, if it was recommended to go with all new tubing (this is a safety issue) I would go that route.

Thank you a TON Gary!

Barry
Old 12-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
fast&low

X2 with what custom/C10 said
And I was just going to say if your just doing OE lines I would just get the line Kit from inline tube they have the best lines available IMO.
The problem was only with the conversion lines and that's because it's not a complete kit & that's mainly on the salesman not doing his homework in catching it befor he closes the order.
The only reson I have CPP lines is because they come with the convertion kit but when I need just lines/inline is the way to go.
It takes practice & practice to make good looking lines & by the time you get tools, ends & lines that you need it's just easier & probably cheaper to just get a line kit IMO?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #25
BarryV

Thanks f&l

I have a 1970 C10 (manual brakes) and have upgraded the front end with a 1972 cross member, power brake booster, and disks. This may require a "hybrid" kit? I suppose a phone call to Inline (or ???) would help out.

Is there a preferred clip that is used? The originals were badly rusted.

Barry