The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
383drvr

Question Windshield Replacement?

I have a nice big crack on the bottom of my Burban windshield and need to replace it... If I can find one at a junkyard, how hard would it be to pull it and replace mine? Is it a major hassle? I watched the glassguy replace our Jeep XJ windhsield last season, didnt look too complicated???

Any thoughts?
383drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
fanman

I just got mine replaced yesterday. cost $75 for the guy to come and install. It would have been more, but I used a junkyard windshield. I would'nt recomend trying to install one yourself. I broke 2 of them trying to do it. Finaly I gave up and called a pro.

I'm not stuck, I've still got some gas left"
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

It is not really hard if you have the corredt tool for the locking strip in the glass. If you have the chrome strip in the glass, you might want to replace it. Most decent glass shops should have some of that in a roll. FWIW, a windshield is only about $100 or so around here installed. That seems like it would be a better way to go, to me.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
383drvr

I called a couple places- said they didnt have them for my year....

I have the chrome strip in mine, and its turned yellow. I've ordered a new seal from LMC without the chrome strip. I didnt know someone would come out to install someone elses windshield... Thats what I get for not asking :p
It cost me $180 for the jeep window installed. $100 sounds about right to do mine. God knows I dont want to do it. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
PHOENIX

There are different grades of windshields.
A cheaper windshield looks perfectly fine but will crack and chip easier.
A window that is factory grade will cost you more and holds up better.
I always buy the cheaper ones cause thats what I had money for.
Ill tell you that they do chip easier.
My windshield has been cracked for a long time now, at least 1.5 years.
I need to fix it. I did get pricing twice but didnt have the funds so I put it off again.
The cheaper windshield was $125.00 installed, thats with the antennae in the glass and the shading at the top of the windshield.
The "factory/original grade" was somewhere from $225.00 to $325.00 (cant remember for sure) installed, with all the same features.
When I got the quotes 3 places gave me the $125.00 cost and one offered the more expensive one. They explained to me the quality of the glass is higher and thats why it costed more. I called the other places back and got another quote then asked if it was original grade and they said no, those cost more and gave me another price (close to the $225-325). Might want to ask about that when you are shopping around.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 06-02-2004 at 02:26 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
383drvr

Cool. I really should pull one from the yard. No way I can afford $300 for a windshield right now, and that would be the only way I can get back to factory quality...
Old 06-02-2004, 05:05 PM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

What part of town are you in? AMI glass (the glass company I use here at the shop) will do it with a good (LOF or PPG) glass for $150 + tax. The # is (972) 262-1512. Mike should answer the phone. I think they may have the black lock strip in stock, if black will work.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote