The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #1301
ryanroo

Re: 72 k20 project

oh, but that would ruin the surprise. i have found that when i try to describe my plans in words people end up thinking i have gone full retard. hahaha. hopefully i will have some stuff ready for that and can whip it out when the bumper gets back. it should be cool. at least to me.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #1302
$20071k10

well that's all that maters. but I think it will probably look pretty good!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #1303
ryanroo

ive been picking away at the transmission. i need some shims to finalize the endplay and the rebuild will be done. hopefully soon!

in the meanwhile,

this is something that needed done and was a good way to keep busy. the sway bar will only come out with the bed lifted out of the way. since the bed will be gonzo for a while when it gets paint, i figured to get this done. i will wait for a sale to buy the bar, but ill hopefully be done when that happens and can jam it together and move on.

start with a vision. or maybe a delusion....

this was what, 4 months ago?

allow some time for vision to germinate.

proceed into crazytown with reckless abandon.

i'll tune up the millermatic this weekend and burn them in i hope. then i can start on the linkage and mounts

Old 04-18-2015, 11:35 PM   #1304
Billhilly

Hey Ryan,
Since you had started visiting over on my thread, I thought I should take a quick look over here in La Plata County.
Really not sure where to start, or what to say...... 53 pages! Do you know how many nights it took me to read 53 pages!! So yeah, really, just wow!
Very very cool build. I know you don't need my approval, but I like your choices/changes you have made along the way. I seriously considered airbags for my build, but figured I had enough changes to make anyway. After seeing your work, I think, Oh, I could do that. A rougher, not as cool version, but I could do it! (Maybe next time!). Love the twins, and the whole 6BT thing! Very nice execution, and is going to be a total blast with the 4500 behind it! That is going to be a fun truck to drive in your neck of the woods (or any neck actually!). There are some fun builds around this site, and this is certainly one of them! Your last entry (and photo's) is also the reason I won't be updating my thread anymore (HA!). I'm obviously going to have to lift my game, alot! Makes my bar(s) set up look decidedly....agricultural, just like me The bars look great, well thought out. Looking forward to see the attaching detail.
Going to stop going on right now. I'm going to take some more time to think over this whole thread, it's disturbed me!! That twitch you suffer from... lets just say it's not exclusive to the Northern hemisphere! Wiki has just told me, and I quote 'Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations'. Obviously neurosis is not the 'correct' word, I think delude would be appropriate some days, speaking for myself that is!
I have several questions....but will start with this one. Where did you buy the relay mounting blocks? Are they singular, or grouped? They would look good on my truck I reckon.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #1305
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billhilly View Post
Hey Ryan,
Since you had started visiting over on my thread, I thought I should take a quick look over here in La Plata County.
Really not sure where to start, or what to say...... 53 pages! Do you know how many nights it took me to read 53 pages!! So yeah, really, just wow!
Very very cool build. I know you don't need my approval, but I like your choices/changes you have made along the way. I seriously considered airbags for my build, but figured I had enough changes to make anyway. After seeing your work, I think, Oh, I could do that. A rougher, not as cool version, but I could do it! (Maybe next time!). Love the twins, and the whole 6BT thing! Very nice execution, and is going to be a total blast with the 4500 behind it! That is going to be a fun truck to drive in your neck of the woods (or any neck actually!). There are some fun builds around this site, and this is certainly one of them! Your last entry (and photo's) is also the reason I won't be updating my thread anymore (HA!). I'm obviously going to have to lift my game, alot! Makes my bar(s) set up look decidedly....agricultural, just like me The bars look great, well thought out. Looking forward to see the attaching detail.
Going to stop going on right now. I'm going to take some more time to think over this whole thread, it's disturbed me!! That twitch you suffer from... lets just say it's not exclusive to the Northern hemisphere! Wiki has just told me, and I quote 'Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations'. Obviously neurosis is not the 'correct' word, I think delude would be appropriate some days, speaking for myself that is!
I have several questions....but will start with this one. Where did you buy the relay mounting blocks? Are they singular, or grouped? They would look good on my truck I reckon.
Thanks for coming over!

53 pages and only a few of them worth a dang! these things seem to wander off sometimes... ha. all part of the fun

i can only imagine how long it takes to go through, there are a lot of rabbit trails.

i sure hope it is fun to drive and all the extra stuff i've added makes it functional as well as visually appealing. it looks pretty sweet but it has to work.

i am impressed with the sway bar additions on your rig. most dont go that far and you were able to get them in front and rear. mine is big and nasty so it can control both axles.

the twitch... its Global. i think there are several of us on this forum that suffer. you can always tell when a person is building a truck and the invisible details become the focus!

i posted a link to the tyco relay sockets in your thread.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #1306
$20071k10

I would think it would be more like ADHD! makes you tweek on every detale no mater how small!! Speeking of witch Ryan are you going to insert some pipe or somthing in to the dimples on the sway bar end links pertty sweet by the way but all the mag dirt of the county and winter roads will rott them quick!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #1307
mx289

Very nice work as always.

I have the Itis too,
but the end result never looks as nice as that sway bar or bumper !

Keep up the good work.

71 K2500
71 K5 Jimmy
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #1308
boonedogs72

you are the man! love the fab work
boonedogs72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #1309
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by $20071k10 View Post
I would think it would be more like ADHD! makes you tweek on every detale no mater how small!! Speeking of witch Ryan are you going to insert some pipe or somthing in to the dimples on the sway bar end links pertty sweet by the way but all the mag dirt of the county and winter roads will rott them quick!
i am a fan of leaving them open for drainage. i'll paint them as well as i can and i don't think i will have an issue. i have bare steel on my jeep that has been that way since 2009 and it hasnt barely surface rusted. i dont plan to baby this truck to much, but if it is really crappy, i always have something else around that i can drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx289 View Post
Very nice work as always.

I have the Itis too,
but the end result never looks as nice as that sway bar or bumper !

Keep up the good work.
Ha! thanks! i am pretty happy with the bumper i had that idea rolling around in my head for months after i killed a couple deer in ol yella

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedogs72 View Post
you are the man! love the fab work
Thanks!

Old 04-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #1310
ryanroo

got this hunk-o-beer cans back from anodizing.

decided to get these turbos taken care of.

hx35 cartridge

guts of an hx55

55 back together.

few more things need to show up and i can bolt the whole shebang back on the motor.

the exhaust brake is ordered, should be here next week. waiting on some endplay shims for the trans that are apparently playing hide and go seek, then i can finally finish that hog.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #1311
COS399

Coming along nice Ryan. Hopefully you will have it done by the time I make my trip to Texas. Also, if you don't like the compound set up I can pick it up on my way through.

1987 GMC R2500 SC 454 T400
1988 Chevy R30 CC DRW 12 valve Cummins NV4500 GearVendors
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #1312
ryanroo

Thanks!

something tells me i'll be content with it. but just in case. haha

i wouldnt gamble on the finished product if you are headed to texas very soon. who knows how long this could take.

got this business all bolted up

Old 05-02-2015, 06:53 AM   #1313
brimc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post

got this business all bolted up

That's super purdy!!
Nice work.

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #1314
$20071k10

looking good Ryan !!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #1315
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It all looks awesome! The contrast is working sweet with the green!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #1316
ryanroo

Thanks guys! i am pretty happy with it. trying to collect stuff to get the rest of the pipe built. i am having trouble pulling the trigger on more pro werks donuts. they are less than gold, but not much. who's idea was this anyway?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #1317
Billhilly

That is really looking sharp Ryan! Can't wait to see a video of it hauling up one of your pass's over there!!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #1318
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
Thanks guys! i am pretty happy with it. trying to collect stuff to get the rest of the pipe built. i am having trouble pulling the trigger on more pro werks donuts. they are less than gold, but not much. who's idea was this anyway?
When you say donuts are you talking the flanges or the fiber gaskets? I found that copper rtv replaces all the metal or fiber gaskets very well. A lot cheaper and does not blow. It also cleans up really quick with a razor blade when you take it apart. My computer crashed so I lost all my book marks but the metal flanges can be gotten for around $10 each. The trick is to figure out the actual application and not for a "S300" etc. Buying the second way just makes a middle man rich. For my aftermarket exhaust brake I ended up making a flange out of 1/2" plate. I also used some straight stock welded to a chunk of exhaust pipe to make a flange on anther pipe I had to fabricate. It wasn't pretty but was cheap and functional.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #1319
ryanroo

No, pro werks manufactures a tube donut. It's a torus. Like a mandrel bend only 360°. They are much tighter than most mandrel bend on cl radius. I have a few places where the tight bend will be helpful.

I ordered a couple, but naturally one size was out of stock, no indication on lead time...

Old 05-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #1320
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billhilly View Post
That is really looking sharp Ryan! Can't wait to see a video of it hauling up one of your pass's over there!!
Thanks! I think I'll get s go pro before the driving stage so I can get some fun videos.

I want to get a video reaction when my lady has her first modified diesel power application experience..Haha. hopefully it pulls harder than her car

Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #1321
ryanroo

oooh, pretty!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #1322
burnin oil

Once you get that exhaust brake up and running you will need to give a review. I have eyed it a couple of times. My only concern is the spring loosing tension over time. I really like the idea of keeping max back pressure. When I pulled the turbo off my 6.7 I ended up with a 66mm Schwitzer and a factory C7 cat brake mated up to it. This was what I ended up making all the flanges for. Well that and the multiple turbo swaps on my 12v. Your turbo setup looks really good. From my experience make sure that you have a really good external gate on that top turbo. Even punching out the factory holes under the puck wont flow enough under moderate boost levels. It looks like you have an external wastegate setup in the pics but I cant tell what its hooked up to.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #1323
ryanroo

i hope to deliver the review sometime. i plan a test pull up wolf creek once i get things sorted out. jeep on the trailer and foot in the fuel. that will be the uphill test. then the turn around and come home will be a very good downhill test of various braking systems.

i tacked up the start of the exhaust. more flanges and other neccesities are en route for further assembly.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #1324
burnitg

Ryan:

What's your source for the large exhaust tubing, flanges, etc.? I'm looking for some 4" SS for mine.

Thanks,
Burnett
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #1325
ryanroo

i've found 5" to be a little harder to find. mandrels are out there but fewer places carry 5". for most of the bends and the strait tube sections, i order from Columbia River Mandrel Bends

they have reasonable prices and a good selection. i havent used any of the stainless stuff so i can't comment on that. they have many flanges and clamps as well. i used Amazon to search for the 5" machined v-bands since prices are all over the place and amazon seems to be the easiest way to find the cheaper offering. Burns stainless has a good reputation for quality, with an associated price tag. Reid Washbon racing exhaust has all the goodies in stainless too. i have talked with them. you pay for their stuff as well, but nice people and the product looks great. i will probably use them the next time i build a performance exhaust. they have 621 Inconel mandrels! super bragging rights if you build a TT manifold for a cummins with Inconel.

4" should pose no issues for locating parts. if you are looking for super tight CL bends Reid Washbon carries them in square radius and chassis shop sells the torus donuts in a square CL in 304l, MS and AL.

there is an outfit in denver that i can get the name and number for you if you are interested. they sell the v- band clamps and turbo outlet flanges(Mild Steel) for about half of any of the "performance" outfits online. i would bet they have 4" as well. quick shipping and pretty easy going staff.