The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #1476
ryanroo

Re: 72 k20 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Looks good man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by $20071k10 View Post
Truck looks good!! Was a little skeptical of the wheels but they look killer white! Truck has a good stance! You have to be getting anxious! Happy late b-day and anniversary!
Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Ryan that looks too cool! Will it clear the garage door ?
Thanks Pete. So far that's the second time I've heard that! It doesn't stand a chance at ride height. It's a couple inches tall. Dumped it's s non issue. It'll probably go in and out best with the rear dumped and the front up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_mud_truck View Post
Just went through the hole post you have put in a lot of work into this build deftly a show stopper
Thanks for reading through it all! I appreciate the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
It looks killer with that stance and off set!
Thanks Ryan! The green and white go together well. I agree on the stance too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
What wheels are they and size?
The wheels are cragar soft eights. They don't come white, but I had them blasted and powder coated. 17"x9" 5" bs. This truck is a little wider than a normal gm so they would look a little more tucked on gm axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
what size are the tires?
The tires are 35-12.50/17

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #1477
notchbackgta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
The wheels are cragar soft eights. They don't come white, but I had them blasted and powder coated. 17"x9" 5" bs. This truck is a little wider than a normal gm so they would look a little more tucked on gm axles
Sweet, thanks. I have been looking at the Mickey Thompson wheels since they are one of the few that I like, this wheel is similar but I didn't realize they made it in 8 lug.
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #1478
mx289

Eh,a limp is a small price to pay.
Now the bad back,bad ankles and bad wrists, that's another story.

Truck looks great.
The stance looks just right.

71 K2500
71 K5 Jimmy
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #1479
ryanroo

Thanks!

finally did some uploading. here are a few from the photo dump!

i worked up some oil supply for the air compressor and the IP. the p7100 has been loosely sitting in place for a while because the oil ports are a super pain in the pooper with everything mounted up.

started with this fitting in the comp case. this was a really close call getting it installed. par for the course on this turd, it was a bit of a pain.

i used the double ferrule compression fitting and SS hard tube for this as well. simple little bracket to keep from getting the shakes.

using this fancy swivel 90 npt to AN #4 fitting in the block...

i got started with the oil line.

the tee splits the oil out for the air comp and the IP.

after some enhancements i was able to use the OE dodge IP supports and made up some more line.

the line is all loomed in convoluted loom. no holes rubbed in my oil lines please!

and a crappy shot of all of the oil line in and the IP installed

Old 11-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #1480
ryanroo

I also got this box from a buddy in the middlewest. Thanks DW!

and this as well

this is a billet core plug for the rear of the block. the core plug behind the #6 cylinder has a tendancy to dead head when these things spin faster than OEM RPM. the water pump builds more pressure than expected and the core plug can push out of the block. add to the fact that the rear of the block is a kind of a hot spot and there can be a tendency to boil off the coolant and add to the pressure issue as well as cooling troubles. that stems from the lack of flow through the coolant passages in the area. this has a port in the rear to relieve the pressure and allow flow for better cooling. it will also be convenient (relatively speaking) for me in the future, which we will see sometime.

i went ahead and installed the flywheel and clutch

then the billet core plug.

waiting on one last accidentally forgotten clutch arm to be able to sling the trans in.

also, along the way these were finished

Ryan convinced me that i was a weeny if i didnt upgrade to the big output for the DHD. i agreed. so the one piece TH is late to the party, but they have it at the color shop, so soon ill have the case ready. i need to order parts to finish re-assembling the case, so it'll be a minute for that. soon though.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #1481
ryanroo

I have this box, it sucks the life from my paycheck... haha

pilfering through the box and the online summit catalog and i got some fuel lines worked up

i ditched the OFV for a banjo and some more fragola goodies. you can also see the oil inlet on the IP case down in the hole

used this external FPR instead of the OFV. its an aeromotive unit with boost reference.

being sneaky with an adapter fitting and some brazing i added a brass #4 male end to the injector return line and shot it in before the regulator. that is an important step. if it is tee'd in after the regulator the lift pump has an unregulated outlet to return. makes it impossible to control FP.

obviously you can see i did the double feed on the IP. i also pulled the helicoil out of the stock inlet. that allows for a 16mmx1.5 fitting as opposed to the stock 14mm fitting. the front plug was removed and an 18mmx1.5 adapter fitting is used there. the return uses the stock 14mm/1.5 thread and corresponding banjo bolt/fitting.

Fuel Lines!

Old 11-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #1482
ryanroo

I got a hold of this at some point. AFE dry filter 5" outlet and 12"x7" i think.

i had a bit left to do on the charge air pipe. i finally finished fitting that.

with that done and a new air filter i had some other things to deal with

had to do some massaging to the HX55 compressor inlet.

got a Vband set up for it and the inlet pipe.

all fitted in.

fits in good, you can install the filter with the pipe mounted and the headlight harness has enough room to function. win win

i have some fittings to add to the cold pipe and then i think the air pipe is bassically finished.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #1483
deejaaa1

looking good!
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
...68 Chevy Shortbed... guy clearcoated..and...threw glitter all over it...like he was feeding chickens!!!...
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #1484
brimc

Wow. Looks awesome!!

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #1485
Chevy_mud_truck

Seriously some killer fab work
Chevy_mud_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #1486
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Great work! You definitely have a little more room for the air inlet than I did with the HT60.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #1487
burnitg

Ryan:
I love the look of the white wheels. I did something similar on mine.

I noticed your concern about coolant boiling. Have you considered waterless coolant? I have been running Evans waterless coolant in one of my pickups and one of my tractors for about 3 years now. It has performed great. I am planning to use it in my GMC when I get it finished.

Burnett
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #1488
burnin oil

Just unblocking that plug does wonders. I have personally shot that freeze plug out of a motor before and it is a pain to fix in the truck. I was not fortunate enough to have the bolt out center hump in the ram! I ended up using a factory adapter that does the same thing. Its original purpose was for coolant to an air compressor. Either way you will be happy with that mod when you spin 4k RPMs a couple of times and don't puke the antifreeze like Niagra Falls. Another thing this mod will do is help keep from tearing up the cylinder walls on 5&6. All that extra heat tends to expand the rings and you will see a lot more scuffs on the rear holes.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #1489
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

Great build! I just read all 60 pages.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #1490
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
looking good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimc View Post
Wow. Looks awesome!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_mud_truck View Post
Seriously some killer fab work
Thanks Guys!

Quote:
Great work! You definitely have a little more room for the air inlet than I did with the HT60.
relocating the a/c comp and moving the alternator really gave me space. relatively. haha that five inch is not that far from the alternator case and very close to the inner fender too. it fit, but it was close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitg View Post
Ryan:
I love the look of the white wheels. I did something similar on mine.

I noticed your concern about coolant boiling. Have you considered waterless coolant? I have been running Evans waterless coolant in one of my pickups and one of my tractors for about 3 years now. It has performed great. I am planning to use it in my GMC when I get it finished.

Burnett
Thansk Burnett! the wheels just needed to be white. it seems to blend with the factory colors well.

so far as the evans, i have considered it. when i get to the filling with fluids stage, that is what it will get. the pressure problem is more of a dead head issue with flow anyway, but i really like the properties and idea of waterless coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Just unblocking that plug does wonders. I have personally shot that freeze plug out of a motor before and it is a pain to fix in the truck. I was not fortunate enough to have the bolt out center hump in the ram! I ended up using a factory adapter that does the same thing. Its original purpose was for coolant to an air compressor. Either way you will be happy with that mod when you spin 4k RPMs a couple of times and don't puke the antifreeze like Niagra Falls. Another thing this mod will do is help keep from tearing up the cylinder walls on 5&6. All that extra heat tends to expand the rings and you will see a lot more scuffs on the rear holes.
i will be using that fitting for the same thing! i looked at the factory stuff, but i got this flashy aluminum jobber from Ryan, and even though you can never see it, it matches the theme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
Great build! I just read all 60 pages.
Thats dedication! thanks for stopping in and for the kind words!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #1491
6BT 56

Been a while singe I stopped in for a update. Excellent work as always. It would take a guy who hasn't followed this thread days to spit the trick stuff. Wheels are very period correct looking . Great choice
New 2018 ram 3500 drw 4x4. Makes my 2005 Look as if it's been running on 4 cyl since new !
My Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556908
6BT 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #1492
6BT 56

Ha ha. I can't spell. I meant to say it would take someone who hasn't followed this thread weeks to spot all the trick stuff. Not spit all the trick stuff. Lol. Can I blame this on auto correct ?
New 2018 ram 3500 drw 4x4. Makes my 2005 Look as if it's been running on 4 cyl since new !
My Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556908
6BT 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #1493
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I almost sent him the cast cummins rear freeze plug but was afraid he'd kick me in the nuts next time he saw me because the cummins one is about 1.5" thick. These billet ones are a lot easier to get in a tight firewall area. That missing clutch fork should be to White Rhino Fab by mid week next week.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #1494
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Holy cow you’ve been a busy boy Ryan! Your work looks great as always. If there was ever anybody I would allow to touch my truck with a wrench it would be you and Mosesburb Nick. The truck pictures in post 1468 make me feel funny in my pants. I can’t wait until you get this bad boy done and come with us on a weeklong off-road excursion somewhere in the Southwestern desert to enjoy these rides. You’re thread is huge so if you already mentioned it, I apologize but when is your road-ready completion date ETA?
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #1495
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BT 56 View Post
Been a while singe I stopped in for a update. Excellent work as always. It would take a guy who hasn't followed this thread days to spit the trick stuff. Wheels are very period correct looking . Great choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BT 56 View Post
Ha ha. I can't spell. I meant to say it would take someone who hasn't followed this thread weeks to spot all the trick stuff. Not spit all the trick stuff. Lol. Can I blame this on auto correct ?
Thanks! i've said it before, most of the stuff i spent the most time on is the stuff that you never get to see. the mounts for the prefilter in the fuel line are some of the trickiest things, but you can hardly see what they are with no bed. put the bed on it and you dont even know its there.

I accept autocorrect as the perpetrator. happens to me all the time, even on my computer.

Quote:
I almost sent him the cast cummins rear freeze plug but was afraid he'd kick me in the nuts next time he saw me because the cummins one is about 1.5" thick. These billet ones are a lot easier to get in a tight firewall area. That missing clutch fork should be to White Rhino Fab by mid week next week.
it may have even fit. with the engine so low, it actually has some measure of room. im still glad you didnt though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Holy cow you’ve been a busy boy Ryan! Your work looks great as always. If there was ever anybody I would allow to touch my truck with a wrench it would be you and Mosesburb Nick. The truck pictures in post 1468 make me feel funny in my pants. I can’t wait until you get this bad boy done and come with us on a weeklong off-road excursion somewhere in the Southwestern desert to enjoy these rides. You’re thread is huge so if you already mentioned it, I apologize but when is your road-ready completion date ETA?
Thanks Larry! a compliment like that is about enough to make a guys face turn red! you and Nick are a never ending reminder/inspiration for me to do it right and make it look good. i'm ready for it to be done, but my tendency towards the higher end parts and the rebuild and refinish as deeply as i can on the take out parts makes me slow. the flow of parts has always been directly related to the amount of cash i can spend without using a credit card or making the monthly bills skip a month. if the current pace is any indicator, i will have the drivetrain done very soon. as far as big systems after that i will have steering and HVAC to accommodate and i still need my DD guages. then its all the little stuff i cant remember and the rest of the electrical. i hope to be test firing the new engine while it is still cold and maybe driving it around the neighborhood this spring. there are a million little things that are left to do and figure out and probably as many dolla bills to spend on it. haha.

i set myself timeline goals, but my goal is to never stress the 'end' date so i can be focused on the details of it as i go. right now, my timeline goal is to be able to drive it to Iowa late in the spring. i have a buddy that has a get together for first gen cummins trucks around fathers day every year and even though i have a 2nd gen 12v and not a dodge, i still get the invite. id love to make it this year and show those dodge boys how you can have your cummins and still not have an ugly truck too.. hahaa

Old 12-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #1496
ryanroo

So, after the clutch was installed, this went in

then with a lot of jacking around and ample frustration the trans went it.

after a few false starts i got all of the parts for this in a pile

this was my first time working with a np241dhd. i missed a few parts the first order.

the starting point was a 241dhd with a small output. it was from an auto truck so it had a 23 spline input. i built a 29 spline big output case. that included the new input and output as well as a one piece tail housing it was a wide bearing case to start with. so, i think it has all of the big boy parts.

i ordered a 4x indicator switch for a chevy 241c. hopefully it will go in place of the nasty looking dodge vacuum switch.

i still have to detail a few of the little parts, but its ready to go in for the most part.

the tag is no longer accurate, but it looks good against the case!

put the 6061 pto cover on it. this is counter sunk and uses std 82 degree flat heads. the pto hole is considered the weak point in these. hopefully an accurate location and countersink bolt will help add some stiffness to the game. if not, i had fun making it.

hope to start the install soon. looking forward to getting shifters and drivelines working on this.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #1497
Billhilly

Looking sharp! Build quality on this whole rig is !!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #1498
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Like brand new, nice! How hard was the NV4500? Had you done one before?
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:48 AM   #1499
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The transfer case looks great Ryan. I really like the pto cover! Great work.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-16-2015, 03:12 AM   #1500
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Ryan, there are at least 2 different shift "combs" that chevy used for the 241C, there's a break in years, I think it's 93, or something like that. Check to make sure the 4wd indicator switch is the same against the Dodge suck switch. there is a visible difference in thread-to-ball length in the GM variations. you should be able to tell if it will work in the DHD just by looking at it

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote