The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Freddo

Question about seat upholstery

Several days ago, someone provided a link for Raybuck.com in reference to seat covers. They sell a seat cover by a company called Seatz Manufacturing. I'm looking to re-cover the seat on my 1967 c10. Cost is $189.99 and it looks like a pretty good cover.

1. Has anyone had any experience with this company or product? If so, how did they do?

2. Any recommendations for other seat covers, especially in that price range?
(I'd rather spend more to get a better cover if a decent one can't be had in that price range, but would be happy to save the money if this one or another one you could recommend in this range is available.)

Thanks!
Fred
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Freddo

Re: Question about seat upholstery

Anyone?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
ole dollor

that's not a bad price, I have not had any deals with them, are you planning on installing them your self. its not to hard to do if your seats cushions are in good shape..
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
leddzepp

If you aren't going for a factory correct cover, I would take the seat to an upholstery shop and have them stitch up a custom cover in your choice of color. That will fit better than any pre made cover ever will.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
Freddo

I thought it was a pretty good price too, and they will send you a sample of the material so you have a good idea of what you are getting.
I am going to give it a try as far as installing the seat cover myself. I've only had the truck a few months. (67 c-10) and the seat has an old seat cover that is slowly disintegrating. The seat back is in decent shape but the bottom (especially on the driver side) is pretty rough. I don't know if the seat fanbric under the torn up seat cover are the original seats, but think they probably are. Not sure how much of the padding can be salvaged. Thought I would see what I have when I strip it off. If it's too bad, maybe hit a fabric store or??? I just can't see spending an additional $300+ for the foam pad that some of the vendors sell. (Although I'll bet it's comfortable and looks great!) I guess if it ends up being a train wreck, I'll at least learn from it.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Freddo

If you aren't going for a factory correct cover, I would take the seat to an upholstery shop and have them stitch up a custom cover in your choice of color. That will fit better than any pre made cover ever will.

Leddzepp: You are probably right on that. I think I will see what a couple of local upholstery shops would redo the seat for as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
i have found that many times this is by far the cheapest easiest option .

the "foctory correct" mailorder seat covers and "factory correct" foam can run well over a thousand dollars . when all is done and the seat is "factory correct" the guy that has spent those big bucks for "factory correct" ends up wailin " my factory correct is too high i cant see my head hits the roof"

go local get your very own custom one of a kind seat
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Sammy

Everyone is pointing you in the right direction. I have had several bench seats redone. The last one required spring replacement, some foam repair and a custom cover of my choice. From a Mom n Pop type shop in my local area. Below $200 for the one with all the work involved. The higher end shops though are charging $150 more. So do some shopping. Best place to do that is at local car shows n cruises.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Sammy

Here is the seat that required extensive repair I was talking about. Not stock but functional and looked much like yours before.
Attached Images

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Just be prepared to spend big bucks if you try to make it into a nice looking original seat. Years ago I took my 68 GMC to a couple of upholstery shops and estimates were $500 to $750.

They explained that all the foam would have to replaced and springs repaired or replaced (Texas heat is not good on foam). I decided to install a back seat from an 86 Chevy quad cab truck and saved the 68 seat in case I want to spend the money on it later.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
White70C20

I am actually in an upholstery restoration class in college right now. It isn't very hard to fill in the worn parts of your existing cushion. Just carve out the bad parts and shape a new piece of foam to fit the part you took out. A little bit of upholstery adhesive is all it takes to make it stick.
As for the seat cover, you can either make one which isn't very hard to do if you (or your mom) have any kind of sewing machine. Or buy a kit and install it yourself. Those are your cheapest options.

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
White70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote