The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
ACS

1979 K10 - Everything I Never Wanted

I've been around the site for while reading up on square body info, joined a few weeks back and now have a project. Maybe.

I'll try to keep this concise. I’ve been looking for a truck to use around our property, nothing fancy, just something I can use for towing and shunting broken equipment around. I decided the ideal truck would be a decent running 73-87 regular cab, long box, 2wd. I’ve followed all of the local offerings for the last year or so, hadn’t seen anything that fit what I had in mind; everything was either too nice or thrashed. I decided I would put more effort into searching for something. I was so set on the truck format described above I almost started buying suspension parts – lowering spindles and a flip kit. Good thing I didn’t.

On the way home a week ago I noticed a farm had dragged a truck out of the area they were prepping to plant new grape vines. It was a square, I pulled in to enquire and that’s when I saw what is actually was - a very rusty 4x4 short box. Before I could get away I had agreed to buy it at scrap rate. Obviously it also has engine issues.

Facts:
- 1979 High Sierra, 350SCB, TH350, NP203, A/C, Tilt Column, Folding Bench, Single Gas Tank, Rally Wheels, Sliding window.
- Flint built – unusual for Ontario Canada – most around here were assembled in Oshawa, Ontario
- Originally a 350 truck, but has a replacement Goodwrench 350 (more on that later)
- Interior has the High Sierra headliner, plastic trim, carpet and cloth seat – which you might describe as threadbare.
- Someone along the way added an Edelbrock performer carb, headers, full length dual exhaust and Super Winch locking hubs.
- Tires are 33x12.50. No idea if the truck is lifted or not. It doesn’t have blocks on either axle and the springs and hardware all look pretty original.

The guy I bought it from had it for 10 years and used it around his farm, before that is appears to have been in Ohio, Prior to that Saskatchewan, Canada based on an early 2000's inspection sticker. There was also mid-90’s Oklahoma inspection sticker on the windshield. It’s been around.

Did I mention it’s rusty? It’s quicker to describe what’s not rusty: the hood, the roof and the core support. The rockers, doors, fenders, inner fenders and entire box are all pretty much shot. Actually, the frame is in really nice shape. My guess is the heater core leaks, and has for a while and that took out the passenger floor and rocker.

Here are a few photos:

ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
daddyjeep

Re: 1979 K10 - Everything I Never Wanted

Congrats on finally finding your square. I know you say it is really rusty, but I have seen a lot worse. Good luck bringing it back to life.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Congrats on finally finding your square. I know you say it is really rusty, but I have seen a lot worse. Good luck bringing it back to life.
Thanks. I actually came across your crew cab build the other day while searching for photos of rocker replacement. I was having trouble visualizing the orientation of the inner, your photos cleared that up.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
ACS

Goodwrench 350

I bought the truck knowing it wasn't running, the seller mentioned it started making a rattle and he shut it off and couldnt get it started again. This was a couple of years ago. I hoped maybe time had headed it, or it was something simple like valvetrain related noise.

I put a battery in and could hear the starter click, but nothing else. With a breaker bar on the crank pulley I couldn't get it to turn. I pulled all the plugs. No signs of rust or mechanical interferance, but the breaker bar still wouldn't turn the engine.

I put some atf/brake fluid mix in each cylinder and left it for a few days. Still no signs of movement after soaking. This usually works for rings rusted to the cylinder walls.

I drained the oil, no water in it, a bit of ATF as expected and no metal paste or bits. I was sort of torn on the next step at this point. Pull the heads or pull the oil pan.

I went with the pan. Interstingly, this truck still has the two support rods between the motor mount and the flexplate/flywheel cover:

Some how not one bit of this mess came out with the oil. Looking up from below the journal on the crank was scored and pitted. The rod was twisted around and jammed up into the cam. The one cam lobe was gouged from the rod being hammered up into it. A piece of the block at the bottom of the cylinder was chipped out as well.

Here's a rod bearing:

The motor is junk, there didn't seem like much point in putting the pan back on, so I worked to get the torque convertor bolts out since that has to happen at some point. I did some pretty unmentionable things with a sledge hammer to get 2/3 of a revolution out of the engine and get the bolts out.

I had been hoping to at least get it running, even if poorly so I could move it around a bit. Time to hunt down an engine.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Chris.S

Where are you i'm in the kingston area till probably jully

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/chris.s.custom/?hl=en

Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzh...vuHKm04yVK4X9w
Chris.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
ACS

PM sent.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
daddyjeep

I'm glad you found my posts about the rockers useful. That is why we do this stuff, so others can learn. That sucks about the engine. Small blocks are pretty easy to find since most people are looking for LS motors now.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
rusty76

I am watching.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
I'm glad you found my posts about the rockers useful. That is why we do this stuff, so others can learn. That sucks about the engine. Small blocks are pretty easy to find since most people are looking for LS motors now.
The benefits of the LS swap - cheap small blocks. I'm keeping an eye out for an L31. I'm sure between now and when I have the cab patched up I can find a van with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
I am watching.
Hey thanks. It might be while before I have much else. I've got a family member's car in the garage now that needs some minor engine work, I need to clear that out of the way first.

I spent some time today looking for the RPO codes. No luck so far. I can see where it was on the glove box door:

I checked up under the seat, but all found was an old piano lesson book "Piano Adventure" not really my idea of an adventure. I can see most of the visible options on the truck, but I would like to know the gearing and if its got a posi. I guess I'll do the line on the driveshaft, turn the rear wheels and count turns.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
LT7A

What a neat truck. Sounds like you got it for the right price even though the engine is shot. That's the kind of truck that looks good as is. Worth cleaning up even if the rust repair has to wait.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #11
abner36

Good score Guess we know why they parked it! still a great truck well worth the time to bring back to life.
abner36 is offline   Reply With Quote