The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #51
Skunksmash

Re: static dropped square bodies with 15s

So how do they ride? Rough?
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #52
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

mine rides worse than a honda wth cut springs on a messed up road...but if road is smooth an not to messed up it rides great
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #53
Rich84

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 View Post
Could you guys spare me a lil advise? the djm spindles are a good choice for a half ton c10 cause of the price.. i was wandering if 5 inch flip kit in the rear is excessive. im also wandering what cutting does to your coils? wouldnt that make handling the truck different? Are you using after market or stock A arms?
I have 3" djm drop spindles with 1.5" drop coils in front..The truck actualy rides better then it did with the old worn out coils..The flip kit is a must, because once you see it low you will want it lower..The truck handles much better in tight corners (lower center of gravity)., It's like a 2 ton sportscar.... lol
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #54
bigchopz

Here mine, it has Mcgauthy's drop spindles, shockes, cut springs, remove leves spring, and Mcgauthy's hanger in the rear. The 15s are wheels ving with 255/60/15 up front and 275/60/15 in the rear.
Attached Images

1998 Suzuki Gxsr Stetch & Low
bigchopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #55
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I have 3" djm drop spindles with 1.5" drop coils in front..The truck actualy rides better then it did with the old worn out coils..The flip kit is a must, because once you see it low you will want it lower..The truck handles much better in tight corners (lower center of gravity)., It's like a 2 ton sportscar.... lol
I know the center gravity, and the wieght play a role in handling making it glued to the road. would i need better sway bar? and is 5 inch drop in the back excessive? or is it just right?
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #56
Rich84

I don't even have a sway bar..5" with a flip kit is what you'll get with a 4 pack spring kit.. If you have more leafs you'll get more drop.
Its all a matter of opinion..but for my money it's the place to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #57
TRAU 82

keep this thread going! great idea...
TRAU 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #58
Mikec10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
mine rides worse than a honda wth cut springs on a messed up road...but if road is smooth an not to messed up it rides great
Lol same here man, im going bagged next spring though.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #59
baclay9

5/7 Drop 15x8 w/ 245/60/15, 15x10 w/ 295/50/15

Not sure of the specs on this one but I figure it is similar

baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #60
olllie

275/60/15 & 255/60/15

olllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #61
long80gmc

newtires by d_imel05, on Flickr

2.5" spindles and 1 coil chopped, 5" flip in the rear. 15x8 cragar ss wheels. 275/60R15 (if i remember correctly) and 225/70R15s in the front. Had long tubes......had to go with shortys.
long80gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #62
Metalshapes

To all the fellas asking questions about my truck, I'm sorry but I haven't been anywhere near my computer so I will answer now, no side pics of my truck I had limited space when I took those and didn't want anything but the truck in the pictures. I'm running extrude honed exhaust manifolds(I dont believe in headers, you don't really need them unless you plan to make 500+ h.p.) with an h-pipe and mac stainless steel mufflers, I did all my own exhaust work so they are tucked up as far as you can go. I still have my inner fenders no issues with rub because my back space is custom. It also has huge sway bars and the truck rides great. I hope I answered all questions at this point.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #63
Mikec10

Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #64
long80gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Mine rides pretty decent. Only thing really changed from stock is the chopped coil...axle is over the springs now...so not much difference if any there, spindles just move the wheel up, everything else is the same....
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #65
EasySteve

Quote:
I have 1 ton springs up front with two coils cut and the smaller sway bar, and the front is a million times better than stock. In the rear I have the top and bottom of my 5 original leafs as well as my overload, along with drop hangers on the front. The rear is soft and rides very well with gas magnums, not stiff like stock.
Lowered and shaved
My Build!
EasySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #66
chevybuilder18

G-body and earlier F-body headers will work decent on your trucks, especially 1.56 (1 5/8) inch long tube headers, they wouldnt be an issue. i plan on doing the drop spindles and cutting an inch off the front and then heating the springs with a torch and quickly cooling them. idk if anyone on here has done heating the springs, but im not going to do it excessive. or another idea came to mind was to buy the coil compressors, then to make sure this device doesnt break while driving is heating the coils a lil bit. but if any one objects to any of these, please warn me of any hazards that have accured with heating springs.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #67
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by long80gmc View Post
Mine rides pretty decent. Only thing really changed from stock is the chopped coil...axle is over the springs now...so not much difference if any there, spindles just move the wheel up, everything else is the same....
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySteve View Post
I have 1 ton springs up front with two coils cut and the smaller sway bar, and the front is a million times better than stock. In the rear I have the top and bottom of my 5 original leafs as well as my overload, along with drop hangers on the front. The rear is soft and rides very well with gas magnums, not stiff like stock.
You guys cut the coils. Isn't there some company that just sells lowering springs so you don't have the disadvantage of cut coils?

Or maybe bags have taken over that market.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #68
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 View Post
G-body and earlier F-body headers will work decent on your trucks, especially 1.56 (1 5/8) inch long tube headers, they wouldnt be an issue. i plan on doing the drop spindles and cutting an inch off the front and then heating the springs with a torch and quickly cooling them. idk if anyone on here has done heating the springs, but im not going to do it excessive. or another idea came to mind was to buy the coil compressors, then to make sure this device doesnt break while driving is heating the coils a lil bit. but if any one objects to any of these, please warn me of any hazards that have accured with heating springs.
There really is no "right" way to lower your truck, but there are lots of "wrong" ways. Heating is always bad for several reasons. They'll never be as hard as they were, and will sag. Even if you just heat them a little bit, they will eventually collapse. Those bolt on compressor things are junk and likely won't fit.

For a cheap fix use a sawzall or cutoff wheel and cut one coil off. Go slow so it doesn't get too hot. One coil generally nets about 2", but changes the spring rate and will be slightly stiffer. It will not sag or settle over time, esp if you cut factory springs that have been carrying the weight of the truck for 30 years. Seems that some guys have cut 2 coils off, I've never done that much but it must work because people do it.

Somewhere on this board I've seen a guide to lowering for "free". It involved cutting a round off the coils and relocating the leaf hangers on the frame. Free is a little miss leading because there will be probably $50 in nuts and bolts for the frame, sawzall blades, grinding disks, but it's relatively inexpensive nonetheless and seems like it would produce good results.

EDIT: I guess it's not really miss leading at all.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post3356075

He mentions the bolts, and the time it takes to get the hangers off. I'd expect the same amount of work to be required for putting on aftermarket hangers though.

Last edited by kalbert; 11-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #69
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
There really is no "right" way to lower your truck, but there are lots of "wrong" ways. Heating is always bad for several reasons. They'll never be as hard as they were, and will sag. Even if you just heat them a little bit, they will eventually collapse. Those bolt on compressor things are junk and likely won't fit.

For a cheap fix use a sawzall or cutoff wheel and cut one coil off. Go slow so it doesn't get too hot. One coil generally nets about 2", but changes the spring rate and will be slightly stiffer. It will not sag or settle over time, esp if you cut factory springs that have been carrying the weight of the truck for 30 years. Seems that some guys have cut 2 coils off, I've never done that much but it must work because people do it.

Somewhere on this board I've seen a guide to lowering for "free". It involved cutting a round off the coils and relocating the leaf hangers on the frame. Free is a little miss leading because there will be probably $50 in nuts and bolts for the frame, sawzall blades, grinding disks, but it's relatively inexpensive nonetheless and seems like it would produce good results.

He mentions the bolts, and the time it takes to get the hangers off. I'd expect the same amount of work to be required for putting on aftermarket hangers though.
so true. the after market hangers do involve the same time no matter what way you try and do it. if you have impact wrench though
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #70
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
5/5 DJM Drop. 3"spindles, 2"drop coils, flip in rear. Never did a C-Notch and it rode great. 15X8's front, 15X10 rear with 295/50s.

Beautiful truck!!

Love those rims!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #71
Big Tex

Thanks Gordon. It actually photographs better than it actually looks.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #72
slam59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySteve View Post

I thought about doing that to the front of mine till I can afford some spindles. Which truck did you get the 1 ton springs out of or did you buy them? Thought about taking some at the salvage yard or that would not be good to do?

1977 3/4 ton Silverado 454

1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #73
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post

couldnt find the relocation bolt holes on my truck. are the covered by the spring knuckles/hangers?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #74
chevybuilder18

O and also im dropping my truck soon, i got money in hand that i have been waiting for and like to have a good stick shift, if you guys could check out my thread for auto to manual tranny swap talk to you later gotta go get the things i need to know what tranny to get!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #75
long80gmc

Quote:
You guys cut the coils. Isn't there some company that just sells lowering springs so you don't have the disadvantage of cut coils?

Or maybe bags have taken over that market.
Cutting them is free, and it rides fine.