The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

Craftsman tools name sold.

This is not exactly Chevy truck related, not directly anyway, but I'll bet that there's not a truck on here that hasn't been worked on with Craftsman tools.

"Sears announced today that it has agreed to sell the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker after controlling the iconic name in tools for 90 years. Stanley Black & Decker, which also produces DeWalt tools, plans to expand the number of stores selling Craftsman, as only 10 percent of Craftsman products are currently sold in stores other than Sears, according to the Associated Press. Sears will continue to sell Craftsman tools."

Not a big deal I guess, but I hope the quality doesn't become dollar store equivalent. Virtually all of my tools are Craftsman, made in USA era, and I've always considered them to be a good alternative price wise to the professional brands.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
gigamanx

Re: Craftsman tools name sold.

My biggest concern is a quality change too. I have craftsman tools from my late grandfather that I use on the '49 truck. I think its kinda cool that he's still helping me out in a way. Hoping the tools outlive me too.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Indian113

It's my understanding that Black & Decker is moving the Making of Craftsman Tools back to the States. Within the last 10 years they have been built off shore.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Who knows, Stanley may actually improve the quality.
I do know the quality of Craftsman ratchets has rapidly gone down hill. IMO the new ones are junk.
I didn't know Stanley made DeWalt. I have several DeWalt tools and I'd rate them very high.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Rickysnickers

Yes, Stanley makes Dewalt and also Porter Cable. This might be of interest, http://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/
Rickysnickers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
68panelman

Sounds like good news to me, I purchased craftsman tools when they were said to be made in USA, but I do have a ratchet set I keep under the truck seat that say made in USA that I purchased about 5? Yrs ago?,. I do remember their chroming process was crap in the early 2000's, went through a ton of tape measures with work and craftsman was the only brand I bought then because of their no BS return policy, then they stopped honoring that. I do like the products they have and that's what my budget allows, and if it does break, it wasn't the right tool for the job or was used incorrectly. This is a hobby of mine and not a daily job, or I'd buy from a more expensive tool company. Maybe America will become great again....
68panelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
OrrieG

Most of my tools are Craftsman from the early mid 70's or my fathers from the 50's and 60. Others are pro grade Proto, etc. I picked up at yard sales. I am on my third 3/8" rachet, and a few universal sockets. I have not had to replace anything in 15 years so can't speak to current return/exchange policy. I have my great grandfathers Stanley carpentry tools from the 1800's that still work fine, put we have always been anal about caring for them. Cheap tools will screw up more than they fix and hurt you. Anything for "universal" use is going to be a compromise.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
whitedog76

I thought Sears had already sold the Craftsman name off, which is why Ace Hardware, Menards and others sell their products.

I know the Craftsman tools I own (from the 90's) aren't the quality of my Fathers from the 60's and 70's.

Stanley has made Porto Proffessional tools for years, hopefully they slot the between them and the entry level tools.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
MARTINSR

We can cross our fingers they improve, that would be nice. Speaking of our first tools, I have a bunch of SnapOn tools that I bought back at my second job in the seventies when I was about 18. One day a couple of years ago I was disassembling the bed on my truck and I remembered that I had used the very same tools to assemble it in 1979!

Yes, quality is worth the extra money!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
iowaboynca

For you professionals out there, if you jump on B&D/S's website, they own Mac tools as well. I also found that interesting.

On a related note, Sears/K Mart has been hemorrhaging for years. Part of this announcement including them announcing a # of store closings. It sucks for the folks that will be losing their jobs, but there may be some clearance sales out there.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
vintovka

Sadly most of craftsman tools appear to have been made in China for last 10 years. Many are identical to Harbor Fright tools despite some still branded Made in USA. We have sunk to a new low in manufacturing.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
CATMdude45

Only problem I see is the lifetime warranty issues, even sears is not as upstanding as they use to be, many years ago you could bring in a wrench without a receipt or anything and get a new one. Not anymore. Dealing with different stores will probably make it harder.
CATMdude45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #13
HUSSEY

I live down the street from a Sears I have been shopping at my whole life. I bought my first tools there. 20-30 years ago Sears stores had an awesome tool department. I remember drooling over the displays of the mechanics tool sets that had anywhere from a 100 or so pieces to over 1,000 pieces. The tool department of that store occupies the same area but it's so thin, they have just the bare minimum anymore. It almost pisses me off what management has done to Sears over the past couple of decades and what they have done to the Craftsman tool brand.

I understand there is so much more competition out there but I always though that if Sears refocused it efforts into their brand names they would do better. The store near me has a dismal selection of tool, lawn and garden, furniture, exerciser equipment, appliances, clothing, shoes, jewelry, home goods...all areas where there's so much competition. I thought they would do better if they just focused on Craftsman tool, lawn and garden, and their Kenmore home appliance brand names they may actually make it. Now that they've sold off Craftsman, I think they just put their first foot in the grave.

I think it good news for the Craftsman tool brand name. I'm hoping that Stanley brings back the Craftsman line to what it once was. If anything, I don't think they can do anymore damage and I don't think they will become "dollar store equivalent". I always thought Craftsman fit the balance between quality and budget, somewhere between the far extremes of Snap-On and Harbor Freight. It would be awesome to see them made in the USA again.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #14
vintovka

Back in 1969 i worked for sears in the main tool shipping dept in LA . The returns then were pretty high with cracked sockets and stripped ratchet wrenches topping the list. Sears happily replaced everything with no questions asked. They were also doing tremendous business and could easily absorb the losses. Now on the ropes you cannot expect the quality or warranties of the past. The franchise stores are hit the hardest, I don't see Sears surviving for long.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

One more step towards a monopoly is how I see it. Not good in my eyes. Stanley doesn't "make" these other brands, they "own" them. It's all a series of buy-outs coming together as one glob. Black & Decker bought Dewalt a long time ago and that's when you saw the surge of yellow consumer grade tools come out. Craftsman started out being Sears' brand. It was sold probably back when Sears was hanging by a thread and Kmart bought them and Western Auto disappeared, which Sears had bought. If it means more jobs for the USA that's one good thing from it. We'll have to cross our fingers on the better quality. Mega corps means mega bean counters, which is what took the manufacturing over seas in the first place.It didn't make things any cheapr for us, just crappier

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #16
mongocanfly
Post Whore

And I saw in the news where craftsmans no questions asked warranty may be up in the air when they take full ownership
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #17
1project2many

My understanding was that Stanley was the supplier of many Craftsman tools for many years. Craftsman tools have not been made by Sears in years, maybe not ever. I have "not Craftsman" ratchets produced in a Stanley Tools plant in Western Massachusetts many years ago. The foundry would do test runs to ensure molds were correct, tooling was correct, etc. They would not put the Craftsman name on the end products as the tools were intended to be discarded and with the brand name attached the discards could be traded at a store for new. The individual who brought them home worked at the foundry and, I'm told, obtained many of said test tools which were re-distributed among friends.

I'm a professional mechanic. I have a box full of Crafstman tools, much to the chagrin of the Snap-On and other pro tool dealers. Their tools may be nice, but most of them do not do a job faster and none of them are loss-proof.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote