The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #101
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Re: Kizer and his 65 here

Yeah It sorta hit me when I started it. I thought I should orginize them somehow. I kinda strayed a bit, but its semi orginized. They are more or less in order of what I did when. Opposed to All hood stuff here, all bed stuff here. I wanted to be able to track what I did when. Well in order that is. For instance I have a folder called Teardown so when I refer back to how things go together I remember what bolt order things came apart and if I took pictures of wires how they ran and where they connected. Also thats why I created my little Build Diary so I could follow myself later with text in a clean uncluttered format. Sometimes forums get a little hard to read through with all the side chatter. However don't get me wrong I really dig this because you guys point out things and keep the modivation going.

Its all for share of course. Worst case I take to many and I have to create a second account. Someday I'll have to figure out how to get all my photos off it so I can have a local copy. hahaha

TimE,
Your 6'10" Holly Crap. now I really feel short. Maybe next time I wont have the truck on dollies and put the truck on the ground with no wheels.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #102
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Sounds like you're really organized with your photos. I just place mine haphazardly in an album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer View Post
TimE,
Your 6'10" Holly Crap. now I really feel short.
I tend to have that sort of affect on most people. Sorry...
Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #103
SlimPikins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post

I tend to have that sort of affect on most people. Sorry...
I'm 6'3" and I'd feel short next to you!!!
SlimPikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #104
joe231

yeah, i'm 6'2" and Tim is one tall sum biotch

Name:  threadjacked.gif
Views: 418
Size:  961 Bytes

Last edited by joe231; 03-25-2009 at 05:04 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #105
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

I think I have the midas touch. You know that guy that touched everything it turned to gold. However I think I'm the older new improved version. Everything I touch on this thing turns to rust. Man I sware every panel has a piece that needs to be cut out and replaced. Yahooooo, that either means I get to seriously learn how to weld or learn how to save to buy new parts.

I worked a little bit last night and today. I finally got the passenger side fender off and started working on the grill support. I got all the bolts out, but guess what the darn bumper has to come off and its giving me grief or I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing.

Well I decided to play with the wiring a little bit and decided to start removing and tagging wires so I wouldn't forget later what goes to what. I think I might end up building a new wiring harness or buy a built one. At least by tagging I'll know how to connect things because even thou I can read a wiring diagram I don't want too.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #106
SlimPikins

Hey at least you are digging into it.

Kudos man for not being bashful!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #107
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Haha, I've never been bashful. Worst case this will be the longest here is the parts I have for sale thread.

Like I told my father-in-law and grandmother-in-law today. You know I've never set a time frame for completion so I have all the time in the world. Of course I'd like to have everything taken apart this spring so I can hit the front end and cab area frame with some POR-15 and then tinker from there. Paint a bracket or two and decide what has to be completely replaced and what can be saved. Spray a bracket or two with some Rustoleum and come up with some kind of plan.

What I did find funny was my wife's Grandmother was in the garage and thought what I was doing was kinda cool. She was blown away with the fact that I have zero clue of what I'm doing, but going for it anyways. She asked a bunch of questions and this is what she said.

Personally I'd go for the stock color, stock wheels and stock stance. It would be worth more. I told her that I only paid $400 to start with and then she laughed and said, "Well go crazy then".

So I guess I have the blessing to go crazy now. To bad I was intending to go with a bit of stock and a bit of not. Just not sure on the not as of yet thou.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #108
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Welp since I'm king Midas I figured why not show you my battery tray. I'd almost sware an old Submarine Captian used to own this truck. hahahahha

Ok, I have a question. Is there a fine line between keeping as original looking as possible and functional | Everything looks original | Its all chinese knock offs because thats all we can find in a catalog.

The reason I ask up above is because I'm starting to really look at things through Green covered Gla$$e$ opposed to the Rosie ones I first had on when I started digging into this project. I knew there would be issues and figured worst case every piece of tin would need a little love or replacement. Hell even the cab might need to be hucked and replaced. I'm just trying to decide when do you say. Well Ok, lets make this a blend of original and some fabbed up cheaper replacements that gets the job done opposed to junkyarding and hoping you find a factory replacement or a catalog purchase.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a complaint thread I guess I'm just tryign to figure out in my mind which way to go with it. I completely want it to be functional.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #109
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Quote:
Any thoughts or opinions?
Kizer,
just my opinion.

Most important thing to do is set you a budget and stay within it.

Your budget will stay the same if you can knock out as much of the grunt work as you can. But do this without putting you or your family at risk of getting hurt.(don't cut corners)

If you know you can't do something then that comes out of your budget.
my biggie right now is the cab floor and paint. so that budget is locked for me.

So now work, fix, weld and do what ever you can to save the bucks and if you can't then, bang the price of that part goes into the budget total and you have to save a little more. big thing to remermber is don't get frustrated and if you screw something up no one knows but you and you get to fix it before someone will.

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q

Last edited by 4dranch; 03-13-2009 at 02:28 PM.
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #110
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Thanks Ranch,

Yeah my idea is not to cut corners when it comes to safety. I'd rather park the truck then drive it unsafe. Hell I was thinking of removing the bench and going with a newer seat so I could have shoulder straps and a jump seat for my boy. Maybe move the gas tank out of the cab and remove the outer handles to keep the doors from flying open if I was to roll it. I intend to take my time tearing it down because I'm in no rush. My garage was built with the idea of having projects to work on and my truck can well sit in pieces for a reasonable amount of time to get the job done. Reasonable means as long as I'm tinkering on it according the wife. If only I can get her to crack open the purse I could get some money out.

I set my price "orginally" at 8k-10k including the purchase, which I don't have in hand at the moment, but over time funds will trickle in here and there. Since I only paid $400 I'm sitting pretty good. I think I have $800 or so into it as of now with the POR-15, various Stainless Steal fastners , new front drums and purchase. As I get farther into it the amount I projected will probably go up, but thats at a later time. Just don't tell the wife because I'm not going to show her the real books. hahahaha

Nah, This project will get done. On budget, below budget it will get done. Some people want Harleys, Some want boats, some want European Sports cars. Kizer has always wanted a 65 fleet side since he was 16. That was 22years ago and well my desire has never gone away. I've gone through other cars and my other love of Jeeps.

Anyways ramble, ramble.

Last edited by kizer; 03-13-2009 at 05:28 PM.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #111
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Welp the plan was simple. I was to go outside and take a few shots of how the wires ran around in the engine bay.

The wife said dinner would be ready in 1/2 an hour so I said so be it. 1/2 hour goes by and I decided to hook up my air compressor since she hasn't yelled for me yet, that I relocated in the garage earlier, but never had a chance to wire it up.

"Honey my sister is coming over and we need to run to the store and pickup some stuff. I'll take the boy so work on your truck some."

Air tools in hand and I sprayed all the bolts with PB blaster yesterday so I was hoping things would come apart easier. I got a little carried away.

Good enough place if any to store things

Honestly I had no idea what my steering box really looked like.

I was so excited to find a little quarter sized hole in the radiator support. Well at least that's what I think its called. Hahahah

I just have to figure out what do do with all the parts in the bed when I pull the cab and the motor. I don't want the truck pulling a wheelie.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #112
19GMC63

I'm the same way when it comes to following plans.

Nice work.

Last edited by 19GMC63; 03-14-2009 at 02:47 AM.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #113
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Wrestled with the steering box, but I got it off and took a wire wheel to it because I couldn't stand looking at the 1 to 2-inches of lord knows what was on it.

I'm guessing this is a known leak point.

I was standing on the drivers side wheel looking at the cab and started poking around the windshield and found this. Soft spot which I'm guessing its not a good deal. Am I totally screwed?

I was trying to figure out the source of the damage and it looks like water might of got up under the very top along the drip rail.

I haven't done any cab work because I thought I'd start with the frame and then tackle the cab, front clip then finish off with the bed work. My intentions was to give the cab a complete look over before doing anything just in case I realize its well a lost hope or all fixable.

Last edited by kizer; 03-14-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #114
drogers

Man, that's how mine got tore down, "Just one more BOLT"!
86' 700R4
My Front Disc Conversion
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #115
custom63

Great progress Kizer! Its amazing how much room a truck can take up in your garage once you start disassembling it. Thats what I am learning with mine. Im down to rolling frame and engine and the sheet metal is everywhere. I need to organize it better. Cuz like you I am working on frame first, sheet metal second.
custom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #116
SlimPikins

Awesome progress Chris!
Are you going to be working on it tomorrow cause I'd still like to drop by and meet you and check it out. My day tomorrow looks pretty clear.

PM me or call.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #117
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Welp the plan was simple. I was to go outside and take a few shots of how the wires ran around in the engine bay.
It's funny how plans change. Nice progress. Get ready for some bigger holes in the cab. It's rusting from the inside out. If you get it blasted the holes will double or triple in size.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #118
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Oh great. I know I'm really in trouble now. hahahaha

Slim I'll drop you a PM. I don't really plan on working on the beast, but I never do until I walk out side and a wrench magically fly's across the air and lands in my hand. I think I might be a wrenching Jedi master and not know. To bad I only know how to pull the tool through the air because the using part I'm still learning to master.

I normally go out there during my 3year old's naps and get two hours of good wrenching unless I'm lazy or cold. hahaha
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #119
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Whats the easiest way to pull a motor? I have a picker, but since I have a 6 I can't rightly pull from the manifold. Sould I sling it with some straps?

I guess what I'm asking is what is the best way to lift it out? I was thinking of leaving the motor in until I got the cab off, but I might have access to another engine stand and figured why not get the engine on a stand and get the motor and transmission out since I'm gunning for the frame anyways.

I suppose I could build a cab stand or something. Heck I don't know anymore...........
Old 03-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #120
joe231

a length of chain attached to a bolt in the front and a bolt in the rear to lift the engine is what I have used....been awhile since I lifted an I-6 though, so I don't remember specifics

they say the memory is the first......um what was I saying???
Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #121
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Great pics of your tear-down. Especially like the one with the shoes.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #122
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I was reading your thoughts on the 'green glasses'. I understand. Im not overly concerned about original stuff and I know the repops are from China. I look for parts that will fit the bill, affordable, and made in USA. Sometimes its 2 out of the 3, but for instance, your battery box issue.....I picked up an AFCO prefabbed battery tray for a drag car and it fit with minor mods into the factory location. It was definitely affordable and it was a better piece than the repop. Check out the Summit chassis parts for ideas on some stuff. Thought Id mention it.......nice progress on the truck.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #123
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
Great pics of your tear-down. Especially like the one with the shoes.
@MacAttack
What you didn't like my green matching sweat pants? My wife told me that she'd kill me if I got my pants dirty so I grabbed *cough* her sweat pants *cough* and threw them over my jeans. Those shoes well are something I just keep around because they are easy to trash.

Oh yeah she still hasn't asked where her sweat pants are and I'm not going to tell her either because I do fear for my life. hahahaha

@joe231
So it sounds like its a however you can get the motor out of the truck setup. Yehawwwwwwwww its going to be fun and dangerous all at the same time. I love it.

@protrash64
Yeah I think I might wing a few things here and there. I was going to keep it as much to factory as I could, but really thinking about it. I'm going to just wing things a bit and make my biggest attempts to do things that can in the end be reversed if desired.

Last edited by kizer; 03-28-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #124
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

For pulling the motor, I installed a grade 8 bolt in the pass. side front of the head and used a chain with a hook on each end. One hook was attached to the bolt and the other end of the chain was looped around the back of the intake and the hook was attached to the chain. (I hope that made sense...)

Anyway, doing it like this I lifted the motor up and it stayed level. If you have questions or need a pic for it to make sense, let me know.

BTW, I also installed a motor in my 65 longbed the same way without removing the hood.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #125
jason65
Registerd User

If your interested I saw that LMC just started selling that piece under the front drip rail for $99.95. In case you need it.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote