The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
cfan10

Cool Double din anyone?

I have the chance to get a double din CD/DVD/GPS/backup cam for $100 brand new in box. But cutting my dash up has halted me, does anyone have a double din setup in the dash? How did you mod the cluster cover, thinking I could just
cut the plastic around the radio fill the holes for the screw on the dash.
Any photos just want to know if it'll look rigged up before I waste my money.

84 c10 bench seat now, but I do still have buckets. Thinking if I put the buckets back I could run it in the console. Maybe even an overhead console modified I have one from my 98 burb I can use.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #2
cfan10

Re: Double din anyone?

Thanks for reading/advice/photos.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
NJ C10 Guy

I just bought a double din. Still deciding if I'm going to make a custom console or find a way to work it in the dash. Keeping the truck original isn't a concern of mine. Google custom consoles. There are tons of threads and many ways to fabricate them.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

my advice is to leave the dash alone and put it in a custom console. You will need to cut the dash to install the radio to the point where you wont be able to make the cutout look decent with the size of hole you will need to accommodate the radio. It should be easy to fab something out of wood and cover it in vynal or fiberglass to make it look good..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
bnoon

In order to get it into the dash, you'll need to relocate the heater controls because there's simply not enough real estate in the lower section of the stock space. I've seen this done a couple of times, but I'm not going to search for or share those that I've seen because they were not executed well at all. Your options are very custom no matter which way your go, dash or center console, and will only be limited by your abilities if you're doing it yourself.

For reference, here's how a 1.5 DIN just BARELY fits into the stock space and it still takes quite a bit of custom work to get it done. Post #132. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=609994&page=4
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

The 87 (1.5 din)looked better,then the 78 (1 din)does now.
took this pic,while removing the radio after it was hit(bezel is loosened)
It's easier to see up there.and no AC
Tried the larger radio lower before
Can't wait to finish it off,get the rest in
I did find a source for the "similar" plastic.
it's used in the custom fabrication of wheelchairs,seats,foot pegs etc
I also did the larger radio in the 88 first
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 AM   #7
UKNOWME

I vote custom console but if you insist on the dash then check out this thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=557242
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
Just call me Sean

I did a carpeted console on the floor in front of the 4wd shifter, because I didn't want to cut the dash.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #9
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Now this is just my opinion, but for looks a double DIN is just way too big to look right in the dash no matter how you try to make it fit. And I am not one to eliminate things to gain more room. A 1.5 DIN is as big as I'd ever go. Have you looked at the 96-2000 Caravan Infinity CD player/cassette with built-in EQ? They are literally everywhere in the boneyards and actually put out some good power. Those are what I'll be moving onto before long for these squares since the GM theftlocks are starting to get harder to find. Some have the Chrysler logo on the front, some do not-but when you pull one you'll see a fairly massive aluminum heatsink on the side of it which is a good indication that its a high powered (for stock) unit. Don't get the regular CD player, look for the ones with factory installed Infinity sound systems. They also have a cassette player which on the majority of them havent ever been used-lol! Best of all, they're still 1.5 DIN so they fit and the green digital display matches the GM green too!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #10
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Here's a pic of my existing GM theftlock CD player and the factory Infinity CD/Cassette player in my junkyard runner minivan. For a stock unit, it sounds really good, has a very accurate balance/fader control, responsive EQ, 10 station presets and just very good layout. I actually built a couple adapter harnesses for a few friends locally who put these in several 3rd gen Firebirds for a stock look with great sound and CD capability. Add an iPod/USB port and you won't need anything else! I ain't crazy-these factory Infinity CD players sound great!
Attached Images

gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #11
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Overhead console.... 'nuff said. See sig below
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #12
cfan10

^thanks everyone!

BLE 'BURBAN I love it, man, that burb is awesome...going to junkyard in the morning, will get one from a suburban...although I have one laying around from a 98 burb will that work? I have no auto electronic knowledge can you tell me how you hooked up your backup cam to a computer LCD screen I have an lcd I bought on eBay for $1.25 a few years back but is collecting dust. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #13
BLE 'BURBAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfan10 View Post
^thanks everyone!

BLE 'BURBAN I love it, man, that burb is awesome...going to junkyard in the morning, will get one from a suburban...although I have one laying around from a 98 burb will that work? I have no auto electronic knowledge can you tell me how you hooked up your backup cam to a computer LCD screen I have an lcd I bought on eBay for $1.25 a few years back but is collecting dust. Thanks!
The rear view monitor I got from http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/ It runs on a 12v auto system and has provisions to hook up 2 RCA VIDEO INPUTS as well as a VGA INPUT. The camera is mounted inside the rear tailgate window. I ran an 18g power lead from the factory radio power lead all the way back overhead to the camera and simply grounded the camera at the rear. The video RCA lead goes forward from the camera to the passenger side "A" pillar, down under the dash and to the monitor. It is my rear view mirror while driving down the road.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #14
BLE 'BURBAN

I would also like to recommend that if you do indeed decide to follow my design, instead of such a steep angle on the front of the fiber-glassed portion of the console, curve it instead so you'll have a bit more room to stuff the wiring down under it. To basically go from this.....

to this....
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #15
NJ C10 Guy

You could do something like this:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...asp?TID=133720

It's on my mind now. Still deciding how I want to do it. My dash is a mess right now and needs to be recovered. I may just kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote