The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
chevyremod

'69 C20 Fuel Tank Change Options

I believe I've read every thread about removing the interior tank and replacing it with a location to the rear of the cab.
It appears that 3rd party manufacturers only make tanks that fit in the spot of the spare tire.
I would like to change to a tank that fits under the bed, maybe inside the bed wall, just to the rear of the cab. I've seen pictures of trucks with a fill tube coming into the side of the truck bed so I feel like there was an option for a second tank that was located in this area. However, I've been unable to locate a tank that I'm able to purchase that fits in such a location. I suppose this is because it's more danger for a tank to be located outside the frame. However, I'm going to do the work myself and I've seen the attached pictures of '73 tanks that appear to fit the bill.

So, have any of y'all acquired any tanks that you were able to place in the location I'm asking about. If yes, please include pictures and build threads, if any.
Attached Images

chevyremod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: '69 C20 Fuel Tank Change Options

You have 2 options. You can mount a blazer/suburban tank behind the axle where the spare tire is stored. Lots of pictures on here and write-ups on doing that. The hardest part of that is finding a was to fill it. The easiest fill method is just like a blazer with a hole near the top of the bed like in the picture you have of the ford truck.

The other option is a saddle tank, they mount to the bottom of the bed with bolts through the bed and through a tube in the tank. There is a factory left side tank for this, it was optional. The factory aux tank fills just like that ford picture.
Also, Lots of trucks have aftermarket dual saddle tanks with a flimsy aluminum door in the side of the bed to fill the tank.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
Hatzman

Don't go anywhere near a blazer tank mod... it sucked!

I finally found a tank that bolts right in after removing two braces... comes with all the parts you need.

http://www.earlyclassic.com/Tech.asp...tting%20Tanked

I wouldn't add tanks to the side beacause of what you already mentioned... dangerous mounting them on the exterior of the frame.

Good luck!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618848
Hatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:21 AM   #4
chevyremod

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
The other option is a saddle tank, they mount to the bottom of the bed with bolts through the bed and through a tube in the tank. There is a factory left side tank for this, it was optional. The factory aux tank fills just like that ford picture.
Also, Lots of trucks have aftermarket dual saddle tanks with a flimsy aluminum door in the side of the bed to fill the tank.
Where would I find the aftermarket dual saddle tank?
Old 11-20-2016, 02:07 AM   #5
chevyremod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatzman View Post
I wouldn't add tanks to the side beacause of what you already mentioned... dangerous mounting them on the exterior of the frame.

Good luck!
So, you're telling me that the only option is one that causes me to lose my spare tire?
Old 11-20-2016, 02:22 AM   #6
Hatzman

I didn't care about the spare. I have seen trucks with side saddle tanks, but you get t boned, it was nice knowing ya... The tanks have zero protection when you mount them outside the frame.

I'm getting a 23 gallon tank and all I have to do is remove two cross braces and add the one provided with the tank. No cutting, no frame fabrication.

For me it was a no brainer.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618848
Hatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:50 AM   #7
LongBox

I saw a build thread where the owner installed a tank from a Camaro, with the filler behind the rear tag. Not sure, but it might have been belair 54's build thread.

So, the tank is between the frame rails, but now, the placement of the spare is a problem. Lot's of new cars come without a spare, as tires are so much better than they were back when our trucks were built. Wonder if a temporary spare could be put in the cab, where the gas tank was?

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
Tiger Joe

Don't worry too much about the whole exploding saddle tank. I've seen trucks get t-boned and they didn't blow up.
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote