The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Missyblue

Re: Rear differential suggestions

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out the calculator....
Roger55 sorry if this is a silly question but what is the reasoning for a 60' s rear over the original if they can alter great ratios?? Easier to find parts or can the original not be geared the right way?
Driver_WT I have only spoken to one build guy in my town, have several others to interview,
so far but he encouraged me to stay away from suv rear ends saying he finds them more problematic and week. But you have good luck with the Ford?? I understand their are thousands of opinions so curious of your experience....
Thankjs again!
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyblue View Post
Roger55 sorry if this is a silly question but what is the reasoning for a 60' s rear over the original if they can alter great ratios?? Easier to find parts or can the original not be geared the right way?
Driver_WT I have only spoken to one build guy in my town, have several others to interview,
so far but he encouraged me to stay away from suv rear ends saying he finds them more problematic and week. But you have good luck with the Ford?? I understand their are thousands of opinions so curious of your experience....
Thankjs again!
I currently have a rear end from a 1995 S10 in my truck. It is not strong enough to handle the torque of my engine. I am on the hunt for a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears for added strength. If you want more info on this, Google "Ford 8.8 rear end for Chevy S10) and you will see that many Chevy owners have installed an 8.8 rear end in their Chevy trucks. The Ford 8.8 rear end was used in many Ford vehicles and it is a strong and reliable piece. I have one in another project vehicle and it works great. I am recommending one from a 1996 to 2001 Explorer because it is the right width for a 1953 Chevy truck.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyblue View Post
Thankjs again!
Parts for the originals are limited and expensive.
I think there's only like 2 ratios available for them as well. No posi units for them at all. They just aren't worth putting money into.
Both the GMC Dana 44 and Chevy rears from the '60s have all parts available, many ratios to choose from, posi units available and prices are reasonable.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Parts for the originals are limited and expensive.
I think there's only like 2 ratios available for them as well. No posi units for them at all. They just aren't worth putting money into.
Both the GMC Dana 44 and Chevy rears from the '60s have all parts available, many ratios to choose from, posi units available and prices are reasonable.
I think you're right, if I remember correctly the original rear can be 3.90 or 3.38 but those are readily available. I've seen the original rears for cheap and sometimes free, might be a budget friendly option for a daily. As you said, I wouldn't dump a ton of money into an original and a Ford 9" or Dana is much better for performance. I kept my original because it functions fine, I wanted 6 lugs and suits my needs, for now anyways.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote